• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jeff Howe swaps Young and Stroud

Mr. Scot

Taking Richardson after having the opportunity to take Justin Fields was never going to happen with Fitterer at the helm. Fields was the decidedly better prospect. 

Sigh. We fuged up during Fitterer's tenure on so many levels that it's going to take some special people to eliminate the bad taste in our mouths for the next three seasons--GM, HC and QB. Of that pigskin and gridiron trinity, we just may be on zero (meaning that you know we don't have a two at the moment and I have serious doubts about the third). And it appears that Tepper has the nerve to be wrinkling his nose at at the epitome of a fixer in Harbaugh (not that Harbaugh or anyone of note would ultimately come here). The football moves made since Tepper has been here have been nonsensical. I put at least 50 percent of that on Tepper. He doesn't know how to hire.

And anyone not swapping Young for Stroud right now is utterly delusional. It's gotten to the point where you don't even have to say it because everyone knows it. Should've pushed for Ryans too. I suspected it at the time, but I know it now.

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 3

It's all just talk and opinion though at this point. None of it matters now, and it can't be undone. Would Young perform better if CMC and DJ were still on the team? Probably. Maybe. They were shipped out to get him though. All that really matters at this point is if the next regime can get things turned around, and Young on the right track. Next season will be the test of that, and if the results are largely the same, or worst, the team will move on from him.

7 minutes ago, UnluckyforSome said:

It's all just talk and opinion though at this point. None of it matters now, and it can't be undone. Would Young perform better if CMC and DJ were still on the team? Probably. Maybe. They were shipped out to get him though. All that really matters at this point is if the next regime can get things turned around, and Young on the right track. Next season will be the test of that, and if the results are largely the same, or worst, the team will move on from him.

If I were running things, I just couldn't accept rolling out Young without any young competition (pun not originally intended) to push him. I just couldn't do it.

Edited by top dawg
  • Beer 1

Bottom line - as @Waldo and others have pointed out is that the trade should have never been made. The fact that there were questions about each of the top prospects combined with multiple acknowledgements that the trade was made before the Panthers knew who they'd pick just reeks of incompetence. You only pay that kind of price if you have conviction that your guy is there.

I think outliers are outliers for a reason. Not to say it can't be done, but there's a reason 5'10 NFL QBs are anomalies. IMHO, for Bryce to be successful he needs to be in a perfect scenario with surrounding personnel, scheme, etc. That's a high bar to be successful, much less be a franchise QB. IMHO Bryce's peak will approach post-injury Teddy. If Tepper forces a potential coach to fully commit to Bryce, we'll end up with someone who will likely be gone in 24-months.

TLDR: All aboard the Tepper train. Choo choo mother fuggers 😭

48h_83afa854-09f6-4cfe-b1b6-dc6cf8d5d01e.jpg

Edited by jimfear
added TLDR
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I think Stroud would have looked better than Young here because Stroud fit Reich's offense better than Young did.

However, it probably would have just been him and Adam Thielen that looked good, becuase the line still would have looked like poo and the RBs still would have looked like poo.

This really is more of an indictment on Reich and his inability to adjust scheme to better fit his personnel, not just his rookie QB, also Fitterer for thinking any of the players we had on roster would fit Reich's style of play.

Dildos top to bottom.

Yeah this is my copium. Stroud would have made us look good juuuuust enough to retain reich into next year. We'd of been like herbert and the chargers were for his rookie contract, great QB tied to a bad HC, or as I like to call it, the Rivera special.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Spanish said:

It was a collaborative effort, but it was the majority Reich's offense. You can tell due to The SEVERE lack of pre-snap motion being a Reich thing and archaic in the modern NFL. The Rams use motion at one of the highest rates in the NFL, and that's where Brown came from. Motion, PA, and RPO rates all went up after Reich left. That isn't a coincidence.

Square peg, round hole trying to merge a mid 2000's offense built to be run by a statue in the mold of Peyton Manning or Philip Rivers with Shanahan style concepts built around distributing the ball quickly to playmakers to get YAC easily, all with a line built for the power run game and unable to grasp the complex blocking scheme of Reich's offense and receivers who can't get separation.

Failure top to bottom.

Not according to Brown himself.

I've seen it acknowledged that Reich and McVay both influenced things philosophically, but not on a practical level.

15 minutes ago, top dawg said:

If I were running things, I just couldn't accept rolling out Young without any young competition (pun not originally intended) to push him. I just couldn't do it.

I agree, but I also don't think bringing in a Mariotta, or similar level player, is really going to do much long term. Maybe the best case scenario is it creates a sturdy and plausible reason to bench Young after the bye or whatever, and that would mark the end of his era here. I'm not overly optimistic on a turnaround plan, but that's mostly because I think Young is an example of a good college player that just doesn't translate to the NFL.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, UnluckyforSome said:

I agree, but I also don't think bringing in a Mariotta, or similar level player, is really going to do much long term. Maybe the best case scenario is it creates a sturdy and plausible reason to bench Young after the bye or whatever, and that would mark the end of his era here. I'm not overly optimistic on a turnaround plan, but that's mostly because I think Young is an example of a good college player that just doesn't translate to the NFL.

I'm not thinking a retread. I'm thinking someone like a Penix or Nix on the high side, but more realistically a Rattler on the lower side.

• Beer 1

16 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I'm not thinking a retread. I'm thinking someone like a Penix or Nix on the high side, but more realistically a Rattler on the lower side.

That is reasonable, but I don't think we go qb at 33. I have no idea what the pick would be, but qb would be a surprise. 

Rattler would probably be available later in the draft. With some of the qb needy teams ahead of us, I'm not so sure about Penix or Nix being there later. Atlanta should be a taking a qb in the 1st. 

Edited by UnluckyforSome

I'm sure Tepper isn't ready to give up on Bryce yet. But he has to accept that we need to put the best possible situation around him next year with a legit vet backup pushing him and make a call. If he looks like trash again you just gotta move on. And you can't rage fire more coaches mid-season because Bryce looks like trash. You just have to accept that he's trash at that point.

• Pie 4