• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interviews: Round Two

Mr. Scot

I think something people miss with citing these betting odds is that the only thing the book is truly concerned with is making sure whoever gets the job is near the top of odds, they don't care if they have a wild name like Kellen Moore at the top, because these odds aren't like traditional betting odds, you cant take the "other side of the Kellen Moore bet" (i.e. Essentially laying a bet against a Kellen Moore hiring) like I have seen people mention around here. The site stands to lose exactly zero money putting him up there if he has no chance of being hired, they just collect free money by people seeing he's the favorite and putting some money on it without looking into it.

I get that not everyone is familiar with these types of odds, but its just something I have seen more than a few posters mention the past week or so.

That being said, I did get Canales +1800 before they took it down, I assume when it comes back up, he will be much higher up on that list.

Edited by Samppson

27 minutes ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

In a vacuum, I'll be fine if it's Canales.

But if we make this hire in the next few days without giving a second interview to Johnson, Slowik, or Macdonald I'll be a bit frustrated. That would just reek of hiring someone to hire someone, sort of like last year. I still wonder how much of the Canales news is actual insider information or the media just making the connection to Morgan and running with it.

I haven't seen Canales slotted to interview anywhere else, so if he's in the "finalist" group, then we're only betting against ourselves if we don't wait until next week. I understand a coach in demand at other openings, but Canales does not appear to be that guy.

12 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

I haven't seen Canales slotted to interview anywhere else, so if he's in the "finalist" group, then we're only betting against ourselves if we don't wait until next week. I understand a coach in demand at other openings, but Canales does not appear to be that guy.

I’ve certainly had this thought also. Last year we didn’t wait to speak to Steichen in person and didn’t even bother reaching out to Gannon. It seems like we’ve learned nothing from our mistake.

7 minutes ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

I’ve certainly had this thought also. Last year we didn’t wait to speak to Steichen in person and didn’t even bother reaching out to Gannon. It seems like we’ve learned nothing from our mistake.

Yeah, I'd hope they wait and really see some second interviews through, this happened with Rhule and Reich, its like they get so swept up with someone they don't wait the process out and just hire them. I think that can be good if you have shown solid judgement in the past, but thats not the case here. Id like to see second interviews with MacDonald, Slowik, Morris, Johnson (even if you have no shot) etc, and then go from there. Its even more of a no-brainer if Canales isnt in contention for other HC jobs.

It seems like they cast a wide net, then when some hires start happening panic and fall in-love with a candidate and rush to hire.

Edited by Samppson

Johnson is the obvious front runner, but likely a long shot. Personally, I think all of the Canales hype is an intentional diversion until the Panthers satisfy the Rooney Rule since nobody else is really interested in him.

The big question is who is the diversion for?

• Pie 3

3 minutes ago, Leaky_Faucet said:

Johnson is the obvious front runner, but likely a long shot. Personally, I think all of the Canales hype is an intentional diversion until the Panthers satisfy the Rooney Rule since nobody else is really interested in him.

The big question is who is the diversion for?

Benjamin Allbright hinted at Vrabel, what do you think?