• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Canales Hire Temperature Gauge

How do you feel about the Canales Hire?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the Canales Hire?

• Love it!
    • Hate it!
    • Indifferent

For those that have asked me, here are my two cents...

Canales is a good hire for the team’s current situation. Carolina was looking for a younger "offensive minded" guy and they finally found him.

From what I am hearing, I would still expect another hire in the front office to replace Samir Suleiman. What is unclear is whether this position will be an Assistant General Manager type role or a higher-level executive that separates Tepper from Morgan. I imagine it will be more of an AGM type. Tepper appears to have installed quite a bit of trust in his new GM and I doubt he is willing to separate himself further already. He is probably going to need some time to adjust to Dan’s way of doing things before he steps back anymore.

It looks like Morgan didn’t have to do much campaigning for Canales either. Dave blew everyone away at the interview and jumped to the front of the line despite the familiarity with Morgan. It will be important for Carolina to find a solid Defensive Coordinator to pair with him. It looks as if the plan is to retain Ejiro Evero but that remains to be seen pending his Head Coaching candidacy and the new Head Coach’s approval. There are also quite a bit of folks pushing for Evero to replace Morris in LA. The Rams are one of his former employers and much closer to home. Carolina will likely block anything lateral from happening.

BUT... Carolina’s roster is still mostly built to support a 4-3 Defense. Most of Morgan’s career has either been playing in or helping build a 4-3 defense, so if Carolina doesn’t want to finish going through the 3-4 transition this offseason, they could potentially save resources and take a step back by letting Evero go where he wishes. IF they feel like they can find a suitable replacement (Leslie Frazier) but this is unlikely.

I think the most interesting position being filled will be Offensive Coordinator. It will be intriguing to see if Canales brings along one of his assistants like Brad Idzik or Thad Lewis. He could go out and find somebody a little more experienced that can assist him during this transition in his young career- Darrell Bevell could be a guy if he goes this route. I also imagine Jim Caldwell will be a nearby resource for young Canales whether he wants him or not. You can't just go off of Canales’ league connections either in a situation like this, Morgan has contacts throughout the league from his time as a player and in Buffalo that can help build this staff.

Congrats to Mr. Canales, he has his work cut out for him.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Leaky_Faucet said:

For those that have asked me, here are my two cents...

Canales is a good hire for the team’s current situation. Carolina was looking for a younger "offensive minded" guy and they finally found him.

From what I am hearing, I would still expect another hire in the front office to replace Samir Suleiman. What is unclear is whether this position will be an Assistant General Manager type role or a higher-level executive that separates Tepper from Morgan. I imagine it will be more of an AGM type. Tepper appears to have installed quite a bit of trust in his new GM and I doubt he is willing to separate himself further already. He is probably going to need some time to adjust to Dan’s way of doing things before he steps back anymore.

It looks like Morgan didn’t have to do much campaigning for Canales either. Dave blew everyone away at the interview and jumped to the front of the line despite the familiarity with Morgan. It will be important for Carolina to find a solid Defensive Coordinator to pair with him. It looks as if the plan is to retain Ejiro Evero but that remains to be seen pending his Head Coaching candidacy and the new Head Coach’s approval. There are also quite a bit of folks pushing for Evero to replace Morris in LA. The Rams are one of his former employers and much closer to home. Carolina will likely block anything lateral from happening.

BUT... Carolina’s roster is still mostly built to support a 4-3 Defense. Most of Morgan’s career has either been playing in or helping build a 4-3 defense, so if Carolina doesn’t want to finish going through the 3-4 transition this offseason, they could potentially save resources and take a step back by letting Evero go where he wishes. IF they feel like they can find a suitable replacement (Leslie Frazier) but this is unlikely.

I think the most interesting position being filled will be Offensive Coordinator. It will be intriguing to see if Canales brings along one of his assistants like Brad Idzik or Thad Lewis. He could go out and find somebody a little more experienced that can assist him during this transition in his young career- Darrell Bevell could be a guy if he goes this route. I also imagine Jim Caldwell will be a nearby resource for young Canales whether he wants him or not. You can't just go off of Canales’ league connections either in a situation like this, Morgan has contacts throughout the league from his time as a player and in Buffalo that can help build this staff.

Congrats to Mr. Canales, he has his work cut out for him.

The part where you said he blew them away at the interview, every time we hear that with Dave, it’s never good. I’m going to be hopeful and say it’s different this time and il wait and see what happens. I don’t feel too warm and fuzzy reading they will still report to OL’ Davey, it seems he doesn’t learn. 

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

To be fair, that has to do more with Rachaad White than Canales. White is a great pass catching RB but not a great runner.

Tampa’s yards per attempt actually went up this year.

2022 - 3.4 yards per attempt

2023 - 3.6 yards per attempt

Played against somebody that had White in fantasy. Lots of carries and lots of pass plays going his way but only reason he got points was volume. Lots of negative rush plays but had volume.  In other words White ain't it. Neither is Chubba or Sanders but on paper that combo could be more productive than White. Personally I want to add another RB in the draft. I like Blackshear and he could honestly fit in a committee but if an upgrade is available at some point in the draft let's do it.  

• Pie 2

23 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

The part where you said he blew them away at the interview, every time we hear that with Dave, it’s never good. I’m going to be hopeful and say it’s different this time and il wait and see what happens. I don’t feel too warm and fuzzy reading they will still report to OL’ Davey, it seems he doesn’t learn. 

Counterpoint - when do you ever hear about a person hired because of a mediocre/boring interview? Of course every hire is going to be where the candidate aced the interview. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, UNCrules2187 said:

Counterpoint - when do you ever hear about a person hired because of a mediocre/boring interview? Of course every hire is going to be where the candidate aced the interview. 

You’re correct, it’s just every hire he makes or picking Bryce, that’s what we heard a lot about. Meanwhile Steichen performed poorly in his interview and turned out to be solid. I know what you are saying and I agree, my statement seems odd, but every time I hear Tepper is blown away, it’s always being blown away by poo. Like I said, I hope this works out and before I start mother effing this hire up and down, il let it play out, remain positive. 

Just now, The Lobo said:

You’re correct, it’s just every hire he makes or picking Bryce, that’s what we heard a lot about. Meanwhile Steichen performed poorly in his interview and turned out to be solid. I know what you are saying and I agree, my statement seems odd, but every time I hear Tepper is blown away, it’s always being blown away by poo. Like I said, I hope this works out and before I start mother effing this hire up and down, il let it play out, remain positive. 

I totally get it. Everything that has made Tepper excited has so far been garbage, so definitely understand the skepticism.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

I totally get it. Everything that has made Tepper excited has so far been garbage, so definitely understand the skepticism.

It’s all good, I’m trying to remain positive. It’s all we can do

33 minutes ago, Leaky_Faucet said:

Important Note: The Panthers article that Darin Gantt just released came out after I wrote this. It indicates that both Canales and Morgan will individually report to Tepper. I am still under the impression that there will be a buffer hired between them. Looks like to be more of the executive type than the AGM I noted earlier. 

Looks very similar to a San Francisco structure as I noted before. Paraag Marathe serves in a buffer type role between York and Lynch/Shanahan. Interesting because Sportsology assisted in setting up that structure as well. 

• Pie 3

Here is my view of the new hire. It's been a while, since I've seen a coach that actually seems to have something between the ears. Even Ron and John( sounds like a place to get some crablegs) coached more on a heavy defensive influence with an offensive strategy that was traditional.

I see Canales being able to not re-invent the wheel, but adapt to the situation. Something we have never seen from a coach. 

Another thing I like so far is his ability to speak. I could see the players listening, and learning more with a guy like this. The pro game is cerebral and I think we finally have a coach with a brain. One that is young, interested in proving himself, which should keep him on his toes and motivated which then will rub off on the team. I'm optimistic, cautiously of course, bc well, Panthers gone Panthers. But if we can get some talent on this roster, I think he is a guy that could lead us to some wins again.

Edited by Diehardpanth02
Dan the man better not get canned
  • Pie 1

6 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I dont give a poo of the reasons but their run game was literally the worst in the nfl  and you are saying they had a good run game

Ok sorry I’ll rephrase. They had a good running back. Are you happy? 

holy crap people are on this board are miserable.

• Pie 1