• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can a QB be “fixed?”

2 minutes ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

Instead of saying "Fix" maybe use another word that is more fitting for Bryce..."Develop" Because that's what needs to happen.

Most of his "fixing" will be done by giving him a better line and maybe weapons that actually create separation and aren't in their mid 30's.

Let's "develop" height................like to see that one. 

• Poo 1

14 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Sure, maybe.  By the same token, his pre-draft reports had things like:

"He threw passes of 60 yards in the air during pro day"

"Has a quick release, a strong arm and is an accurate passer, especially on the run"

"He has good arm strength with an accurate touch. He has a quick release, and makes good decisions"

Dalton already had a "good" arm coming in.  His improvement is going from "good" to "The Red Rifle".

I don't recall this at all. My memory is Dalton's big criticism was arm strength/talent not being ideal (along with height and athleticism)....

just the first couple google hits... not chosen cause I value them ...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/643144-andy-dalton-2011-nfl-draft-scouting-report 
"There are questions about his ability to push the ball up-field. He threw passes of 60 yards in the air during pro day, but this was in shorts and without wind. Dalton will not be a big-arm quarterback in a vertical system. He has the arm strength to throw go routes and out patterns but relies more on timing to make his throws. The ball will float down the seam too often."

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2011adalton_greg.php

"Player Comparison: Chase Daniel. I have seen Dalton compared to Drew Brees, but at this point, a more realistic comparison is to another player on the New Orleans depth chart. Like Daniel, Dalton lacks ideal height and arm strength, but is an accurate passer. Both played in a shotgun offense at the collegiate level. Daniel was not drafted, but he lacked the “it” factor and perhaps some of that was absorbing losses against stiffer competition in the Big XII."

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/bucky-brooks-scouting-report-on-andy-dalton

Bucky Brooks: "... Despite displaying B/B-plus arm talent/arm strength..."

Dalton was not considered to have a strong arm strength, but "good" arm strength. In fact, this is the same category Bryce falls into... 

Edited by mav1234
  • Pie 1

19 minutes ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

That was not a problem last year, even as much as the huddle loves to point it out.

You don't know that.......nobody knows that........................we would only know that if he was 6'4" or taller and what results that would have brought last year.

1 hour ago, PghPanther said:

You don't know that.......nobody knows that........................we would only know that if he was 6'4" or taller and what results that would have brought last year.

I do know that. I watched the games and he has less batted balls in the NFL than most QB's. Like wtf are you correlating height into his game play? There is no correlation there and there isn't a significant stat that links back to his height being detrimental to his production. Nothing. Only stat would clearly be batted balls and in that stat he's not the QB with most batted balls. So again, Height isn't the problem for Bryce.  Durability isn't either since the man got sacked 62 times and only missed 1 game compared to bigger taller QB's that missed MULTIPLE games. So this dumbass narrative needs to stop.

6 minutes ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

I do know that. I watched the games and he has less batted balls in the NFL than most QB's. Like wtf are you correlating height into his game play? There is no correlation there and there isn't a significant stat that links back to his height being detrimental to his production. Nothing. Only stat would clearly be batted balls and in that stat he's not the QB with most batted balls. So again, Height isn't the problem for Bryce.  Durability isn't either since the man got sacked 62 times and only missed 1 game compared to bigger taller QB's that missed MULTIPLE games. So this dumbass narrative needs to stop.

It's not about batting balls, or not just about that anyway. His vision was clearly impacted at times and it manifests through his tendency to bail on pockets and his massive dropbacks as well as other ways. There are confounding factors of course, but his physical stature will always pose some degree of challenge that simply doesn't exist for QBs 5 inches taller.

• Pie 3

28 minutes ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

Batted balls are not the best indication of such limitations ..........hell Cam had his share of them. 

Best way to "fix" a QB is understanding their strengths/weaknesses and finding out how to maximize their performance. In other words, if you are investing on a QB that's a round peg, don't expect much success if you are shoving them into a square hole. That's like blaming Peyton Manning for using him like Lamar Jackson and not getting more than two yards.

Do have to note that trying to work on a QB's mechanics is not going to get results if they can't actually get meaningful live in-game reps because the line constantly collapses, especially if it's the interior.

• Pie 1

Yes and no.  But I would say generally the fixes at this level aren’t dealing with some key issues Bryce has outside of his footwork 

Bryce’s size and arm can’t be fixed.  Which means he has to be able to play QB at an insane level to overcome such and ever be worth the pick or sticking with long term. 

• Pie 1

batted balls is a weird thing.  Cam has them because he would throw ropes/lasers and it didn’t matter if it was a short route.  He would throw a fastball 5 yards downfield.  That makes it easy to block if you guess right as a defender given their height 

Bryce can’t see a lot of throws.  Bryce also didn’t sit in the same area of the pocket as consistently as a Cam type QB.  Bryce’s size and arm just flat out took things off the table whether it be throws, open players, attempts or ability to call things. 

• Pie 3

19 hours ago, Shocker said:

He was literally one of the best QBs in college ever.  The traits are there and he is a flat leader.  My question is why in the world would you think he can’t be great?  He has been great.  We have to help him be what he is in the toughest league in the world.

He is 22.  You seriously believe this is on him and he sucks?  Jesus

College...