• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Doubling down on Young. I don't like it. We NEED Young insurance.

top dawg

16 minutes ago, top dawg said:

That's not a plan B, that's a hope and a prayer. 

It is no different than throwing another pick at a qb at 33 this year that will not start. Your boys would be no better than Young next season. Suck it up, you are no better than the rest of us. You're going to have to watch this last attempt at getting something out of this massive investment. There will be no savior this season unless its Bryce Young. Just pray that he only gets 2024 to prove it.

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 2

3 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

that only works for QBs that show they actually have talent and can put the team on his back.

People say football is the ultimate team sport and you're wanting to make a guy put the team on his back and prove he can win by himself to satisfy you. Things don't work that way.

People whined like crazy when Newton was here and never had any good receivers or a decent Oline. How did that turn out? I'll tell you, it resulted in just three winning seasons. But, but they made it to the Superbowl! And what were the results there? They lost and gave the fanbase a huge case of blueballs.

Young was put into the worse situation of any of the rookie QBs. His Oline was at the least out of scheme, his receivers weren't good and ran bad routes for the most part, and his coaches didn't seem to care or know what they were doing. The cherry on top of that poo pie was that he just wasn't ready to start.

Hopefully, he'll be given at least an average Oline, through new players or blocking scheme, and a better offensive scheme in general this coming season, and can prove he can be a quality NFL starting QB. The alternative is a repeat of the season we just watched.

• Flames 1

I don’t think Bryce needs someone to “push” him, he seems like a pretty competitive person. I also don’t think it makes sense to invest even more money and resources in another QB at this point. Give Bryce what he needs to succeed , give him quality coaching, quality play-calling and see what happens

• Pie 1

41 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

It wasn't a bad Oline in 2022 and they weren't bad receivers until they got here.

Not one of the receivers on this team, outside of AT, has ever been anything but a #2/3 WR. And at this point AT,is at best a #2.

the Oline in ‘22 played well. But only when we moved to a power run scheme. Unfortunately for us we moved away from that scheme. The Line as a whole sucked complete ass at pass pro.

But whatever fits the narrative…

18 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

people keep saying fix the line and give him WRs before judging him, but that only works for QBs that show they actually have talent and can put the team on his back. Bryce has shown absolute jackshit and will never be able to carry the team when we need him to. Thats what #1 overall QBs are supposed to do.

In that same vein, it is my contention that Bryce played so horribly---admitedly coaching could've been have been a part of it---that he's making the receivers look like they were playing horribly as well. 

People were trying to talk poo about Mingo---Mingo, a rookie. Mingo didn't look as bad as any other rookie WR trying to figure things out. And I know damned well that Chark didn't go from looking like a pro-level receiver in Jacksonville and a pro-level receiver in Detroit to Charlotte and just turn to sh¡t. I think that our receiving group suffered due to Bryce's reticence to throw the ball on time, that's if he was able to see over the line or maneuver in a manner consistent with hitting them in such a manner where they could catch the ball, but aalso hit them in a manner that could help them their productivity. 

39 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

It is no different than throwing another pick at a qb at 33 this year that will not start. Your boys would be no better than Young next season. Suck it up, you are no better than the rest of us. You're going to have to watch this last attempt at getting something out of this massive investment. There will be no savior this season unless its Bryce Young. Just pray that he only gets 2024 to prove it.

Young was historically bad this season. I don't believe that would've been the case had we drafted another, but to be fair we'll never know (even though we know).

Now how you know that a Bo Nix, Penix or Rattler would be no better Young this season, I simply don't know. I think that you're guessing at best or projecting at worse (due to suffering through Young's terrible season). 

I don't think I'm better than any of y'all, but I do wholeheartedly believe that the FO can do better by all of us, and not subject us to horrendous QB play by default by skipping on a more talented signal caller.

Edited by top dawg

17 minutes ago, top dawg said:

In that same vein, it is my contention that Bryce played so horribly---admitedly coaching could've been have been a part of it---that he's making the receivers look like they were playing horribly as well. 

People were trying to talk poo about Mingo---Mingo, a rookie. Mingo didn't look as bad as any other rookie WR trying to figure things out. And I know damned well that Chark didn't go from looking like a pro-level receiver in Jacksonville and a pro-level receiver in Detroit to Charlotte and just turn to sh¡t. I think that our receiving group suffered due to Bryce's reticence to throw the ball on time, that's if he was able to see over the line or maneuver in a manner consistent with hitting them in such a manner where they could catch the ball, but aalso hit them in a manner that could help them their productivity. 

Well to be fair that offensive play designs they came up with was some of the worst I have ever seen.  Every play was designed for one receiver. Even if said receiver was not on the field. I poo you not. It was so predictable that I had my son figuring it out and he just got interested in football this season.

The receivers cannot do much about that because the defense knew where the ball was going to go before the snap. They could beat the receiver to the spot before they got there.  There's no overcoming that as a rookie. Even Dalton had them install different plays for him and after 60+ attempts couldn't do much better. 

The system was just complete ass. There's no other way to put it.

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, OldhamA said:

This idea that our Plan B (when Young flames out) is 'gun to the head' "You must draft a QB in the first round of the 2025 Draft" is baffling.

I find any other solution/option baffling.

The odds of getting a successful qb in the later rounds of the draft are maybe 1 in 25.  For every Brock Purdy, there are 20-25 Ian Book's.  I am not saying we shouldn't try if the staff sees one they like, but if that is the backup plan, then I hope Dan Morgan has his lucky socks on when he drafts.   

And we aren't going to get a high value free agent to come to this year's worst team.  And any other free agent we get is going to be another Andy Dalton.  If you want an Andy Dalton on the bench as your backup plan, I am ok with that, but unless we put a superb team around him, the odds of making the playoffs with him are slim and none.  And we aren't going to be able to put a superb team around him.   

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Well to be fair that offensive play designs they came up with was some of the worst I have ever seen.  Every play was designed for one receiver. Even if said receiver was not on the field. I poo you not. It was so predictable that I had my son figuring it out and he just got interested in football this season.

The receivers cannot do much about that because the defense knew where the ball was going to go before the snap. They could beat the receiver to the spot before they got there.  There's no overcoming that as a rookie. Even Dalton had them install different plays for him and after 60+ attempts could do much better. 

The system was just complete ass. There's no other way to put it.

I'll give you that.

I'll still say that Young didn't do anyone any favors (not even himself).

9 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I'll give you that.

I'll still say that Young didn't do anyone any favors (not even himself).

Oh I agree that Young owns his share of the disfunction. That I do not dispute. I will also admit that he didn't not have what he needed as a rookie to prove his potential going forward as well.

He was a long shot pick to begin with and we should have not traded up in the first place. But I digress. I'm just saying that in order to confirm boom or bust you have to have a better situation around him. We are not there yet. 

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Beer 1

4 hours ago, top dawg said:

With the hiring of Dan Morgan and Dave Canales, we have been put on notice that the priority now is to "fix" Bryce Young. Well, that begs the question, "Can Bryce Young be fixed?" 

Well I have another question? Considering Young's historically bad season, shouldn't we at least consider drafting another QB if one happens to fall, or even keep our minds open to some Bryce Young insurance on day three when some undeveloped talent is available? BPA shouldn't take a backseat when Young is driving the bus.

Look, I get that "fixing" Young would be the absolutely best case scenario. I am skeptical it can happen based on what I've seen of his physical limitations, questionable mechanics and shockingly---and I say "shockingly" because he was billed as a processing savant---terrible decision-making. And I'd add that I have never seen a a Panthers QB with such a lack of pocket presence and a lack of self awareness about one's escape-ability from that pocket in my life. 

Some believe that we have to invest another entire season into "fixing" Young simply because we invested a king's ransom to move up to acquire him. I do not believe that he should be the defacto starter. I believe that he should have some legitimate competition with the caveat that it's young competition (pun not intended). If he beats out a young blood, then fine. But I hardly see it as a given, given Young's deficiencies, if the competition is real and not a dog and pony show designed for optics. I just am not ready to voluntarily hand the reins back to Bryce, I don't care how much we spent on him. He needs some competition, and we need some insurance---an extra shot of hope (or just extra shots)---after the worst season and team in franchise history. I get allowing the tank to take place naturally, and grinning and bearing 2024 to get to 2025 and all that, but I just can't cosign and accept another awful season without at least making an attempt to obtain some more draft picks and get a QB with potential to push Bryce to higher heights, or to the bench. We'd be in a better position for 2025 if that were to happen as well.

You dont even take the Panther job unless you full believe in Young. you cant hedge your bets at QB. the QB, Coach and GM all fail with together.

4 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

I agree 100%. Throw in some mid vet or draft pick that wins a few meaningless games at the end causing us to miss the next QB in the draft and see how the fans react. 

These comments are soothing. Let’s all settle in for a crummy but productive 2024 and wait for this to all blow over. 

4 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

There is no reason to spend even more draft capital or money on ANOTHER QB when we are not 1 QB away from being competitive.

We stick with Young one more year.

Also, I don't think he's as much of a lost cause as you seem to. His decision-making is not as bad as you say, he actually learned throughout the season (Case in point the 2nd Falcons game where he bated Bates on numerous throws so he wouldn't get picked again) and his escapability got better as the season went on and he got used to the game speed of the NFL. The line played like crap, receivers played like crap, the scheme was crap, no one looked good.

It's a big fat N/A for damn near everyone on offense, but no, the backup plan should be the backup QB, which is Dalton, who is a damn good backup and we don't need to waste more assets on another.

If Young shows no improvement next season then we move on and draft a new QB in 2025.

Agreed, drafting for QB insurance like we did with Matt Corral was an absolute bust and waste of draft pick. And maybe it's not all the QB's fault, but more because of the crap management and foundation of an organization that's a failure? Mayfield goes to Rams and all of a sudden becomes capable, he goes to Tampa and has a resurgence? Even Darnold in trash time with SF played better than he ever had while in Carolina. Even other players like DJ Moore and CMC are having career years. Maybe it's the Panthers fault and not the player's fault? 

If the best available player is a quarterback in rounds 3 or 4. I would draft him. I have zero faith in Bryce Young. Bryce Young is ranked 34th out of 32 NFL teams. Even if he miraculously improves his ceiling is average to middle of the road NFL qb. As a fan I will be happy the day we find our franchise quarterback. And as of right now Boss Baby(Bryce Young) is not it.