• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young’s Arm Strength

0kBoomer

26 minutes ago, csx said:

There's more to arm than distance.

I'm just really down on the decision to draft him. I want him to succeed and don't have anything against him.

Exactly. How many NFL QBs have a perfect pocket where they can take a slow drop back and then wind up to get their entire body in the throw and launch it without worrying about a rusher getting there before the release.

Someone above mentioned having to anticipate more than say an Allen because of the lack of velocity. That takes a lot of potential plays off the table. Without good velocity, you can’t make quick reads so every WR has to have separation for as long as the anticipation takes. A TE sitting in an opening can’t be hit before a defender can catch up.

• Pie 1

Just now, WhoKnows said:

Exactly. How many NFL QBs have a perfect pocket where they can take a slow drop back and then wind up to get their entire body in the throw and launch it without worrying about a rusher getting there before the release.

Someone above mentioned having to anticipate more than say an Allen because of the lack of velocity. That takes a lot of potential plays off the table. Without good velocity, you can’t make quick reads so every WR has to have separation for as long as the anticipation takes. A TE sitting in an opening can’t be hit before a defender can catch up.

lot of those long throws to the outside become gift wrapped balls for defenders to make plays on.  I mean, the ball is going to get there.  But it's not quick enough for a defender not have a shot at making a really good play on it.   Same can be said for some of the those deeper balls in general if a small window pops up and he isn't set.  They float.  It gives defenders an edge. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

His arm strength isn’t good, but it’s good enough. Probably better than some we’ve had here recently *cough* Teddy two yards *cough*

The areas he needs to improve on the most, by far, are accuracy and decision making/processing. And those aren’t limited by his dna limiting his size and strength. He can improve those. He just has to work on it. Once he isn’t one of the worst I’ve ever seen at those areas, then he can take advantage of a hopefully improved OL and pass catching group. But until then a group of Moss, Rice and Gonzalez wouldn’t be of much use here. 

• Pie 1

20 minutes ago, CRA said:

I think there are some clear issues his size is going to cause in terms of his ability to sit in the pocket and make the throws at this level.   It's not college.  I really think his vision gets obstructed on certain plays/routes.....which is going to cause him to not sit/stand where ideally a NFL QB would be on certain plays.  Which is why he often would miss a wide open check down.  Couldn't see it. 

he doesn't have the arm strength to make all the throws you want to see at this level.  That's no really debatable.  Windows are much smaller and tougher at this level.  Ball has to get there quicker than college and often you aren't going to be able to setup for every throw (which he needs to).  Technically he can make the throw, certain throws are going to be invitations for picks though.  We saw that often last season with some of the tougher throws on an arm. 

I mean, if we are going to compare him to his peers and ideal NFL play....he doesn't have the arm to make the plays others can.  He just doesn't.   Can you still win with it? Sure.  We have seen QBs still play at a high level when their arms strength goes away.  But that ideally should not be where you start off. 

I mean we have NFL tape of him sitting in the pocket to deliver a throw. We know he can do it. That isn’t even a question. 

You don’t need a rocket arm to play in the NFL. It’s a perk but it isn’t the end all be all.   You have a fundamental misunderstanding of the phrase “has enough arm to make all the NFL throws”

You think like means the crazy rifle it into a tight window. Thats not what it means. It means being able to throw all the routes a WR is going to run with enough strength and velocity to make sure it gets there on time. It’s unquestionable Bryce has the arm strength required to be a QB in the league. 

He doesn’t have the rocket arm but neither did manning, Bree’s, or Brady. Their arm strength wasn’t what made them good. 

And after watching cam play for years we should all know Cam rifling in every pass as a fast ball wasn’t good. It led to ALOT of tip drill int’s and him missing on short throws. 

16 minutes ago, CRA said:

I think some of this is word play.

Technically, Bryce Young can get the ball to any location that a QB would throw to.  Yes.  

Can he get the ball there quick enough so the play would be successful? Not on a variety of the throws.  Takes too much time to get the ball there. 

I haven't seen a single throw that was incomplete because it was too slow.  That's my opinion.

• Poo 2

I mean, no D-line is going to allow that clean of a pocket. 

My thing is, even if I acknowledge Bryce's so-so arm strength as good enough, I still have serious issues with his vision which appears to be due to lack of height, decision-making and processing. His pocket presence and awareness were somewhat abysmal in my opinion. His ball velocity, timing and ball placement were sketchy as hell. I think that all the aforementioned are just as important, if not morenimportant, than mere arm strength.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, frankw said:

Also you're definitely poundaway.

Alright lil bro I’m adding you to ignore along with that clown guy. Not every one who believes in Bryce is another user on a new account. You can choose to believe that or not idc. But you just derail any real discussion at this point. 

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

I mean, no D-line is going to allow that clean of a pocket. 

You are right.  Which is why Reich and his offense failed Bryce.  And I hope Canales uses that knowledge when he is calling plays.

How often did you see bootlegs or rollouts?   Hardly ever.  It completely opens the QBs vision.    Bryce needs much more of that.

2 hours ago, csx said:

He needs a lot for a #1 pick. He was supposed to make those around him better.

I think this is the biggest issue here in the evaluation of Bryce, people think “what we gave up for him!!!!” is a relevant part of the evaluation process

the only way at all that has anything to contribute to the discussion is the dearth of resources to support the young QB

rookie QBs aren’t expected to immediately “elevate the franchise!” just because fans dread being bored during draft season

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, 0kBoomer said:

I mean we have NFL tape of him sitting in the pocket to deliver a throw. We know he can do it. That isn’t even a question. 

You don’t need a rocket arm to play in the NFL. It’s a perk but it isn’t the end all be all.   You have a fundamental misunderstanding of the phrase “has enough arm to make all the NFL throws”

You think like means the crazy rifle it into a tight window. Thats not what it means. It means being able to throw all the routes a WR is going to run with enough strength and velocity to make sure it gets there on time. It’s unquestionable Bryce has the arm strength required to be a QB in the league. 

He doesn’t have the rocket arm but neither did manning, Bree’s, or Brady. Their arm strength wasn’t what made them good. 

And after watching cam play for years we should all know Cam rifling in every pass as a fast ball wasn’t good. It led to ALOT of tip drill int’s and him missing on short throws. 

yeah, but that's why I think this is often word play.  Can Bryce sit in a pocket and make throws.  Sure. 

Can Bryce sit at the same depth in a pocket as Joe Flacco and see the field the same way though?  No.  I think that is impactful.  Think it skews plays and where Bryce wants to be. 

Can Bryce get the ball to location X at the same time it takes a different QB to get the ball to location X? Depends on the throw.  Because there are certain plays where Bryce Young flat out can't get the ball to where it needs to be in time because of his arm.  It would technically get to the spot though.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, CRA said:

Bojangles GIFs | Tenor

He has his issues but I'll stand by it.  Dude is not missing throws because he has a weak arm.  

He's not 37 year old Drew Brees out there.

Meme is on point though.

Edited by jamos14

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

Because there are certain plays where Bryce Young flat out can't get the ball to where it needs to be in time because of his arm.  It would technically get to the spot though.

and get intercepted

8 minutes ago, jamos14 said:

You are right.  Which is why Reich and his offense failed Bryce.  And I hope Canales uses that knowledge when he is calling plays.

How often did you see bootlegs or rollouts?   Hardly ever.  It completely opens the QBs vision.    Bryce needs much more of that.

Problem is Bryce wasn’t very good at rollouts/bootlegs. If my memory is correct.