• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young’s Arm Strength

0kBoomer

8 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

Yeah.  Ask Cam how being big protected him. 

Cam was targeted by Roger Goodell and the NFL. He wasn't given 1/10th the protection that a Manning, Brady or Brees received. He was an upstart young black QB with an infectious smile that loved the game for the game. SB50 and the season opener in 2016 showed that with blinding illumination that that wasn't going to be allowed. 

• Pie 3

23 minutes ago, Stingray3030 said:

He will be better this year, but won't be a top 10 guy most likely - we can't make enough moves in 1 season with our capitol give a fair test right away.  2025 will be the true test...similar to how Chicago has given Fields 3 years to prove he is worth anything - which he hasn't.

Justin Fields at least gave glimpses that he could be special down the road.  That's sort of the Bryce issue.  A full season, and he never gave you any of those glimpses to really fool yourself with and have hope.  At no point did you ever watch him and go.....yeah, that's why we did it. 

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

5 times, based on completion percentage. 4 of those he was more accurate. 

Cam Newton Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Draft, College | Pro-Football-Reference.com

I mean, Cam Newton wasn't playing the same game as Bryce Young.   Cam wasn't checking the ball down and playing small ball.  He was gunslinging most of his career.   

completion % almost goes out the window when comparing a QB checking down and playing small vs a gunslinger going for haymakers and chunks.  One is supposed to have a much better completion %. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, CRA said:

I mean, Cam Newton wasn't playing the same game as Bryce Young.   Cam wasn't checking the ball down and playing small ball.  He was gunslinging most of his career.   

completion % almost goes out the window when comparing a QB checking down and playing small vs a gunslinger going for haymakers and chunks.  One is supposed to have a much better completion %. 

I completely agree.

That was a quick and easy way to show someone they're completely full of poo. 

Also completion percentage doesn't take into account how Bryce's completion usually required the receiver to stop his route, reach behind him, get lit up etc. They also don't show how his incompletions were just complete trash. He was spraying balls around like his head coach with a Sears catalog. 

• Pie 1

Just have to build an offense around the game manager we have at QB. Heavy on the run and play action, move the pocket, create easy throws etc. He’ll never have a “strong” arm in comparison to most other NFL QBs

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, SetfreexX said:

How does a QB make pass protection better when his blockers are beat at the snap...

How does a QB create separation for receivers...

How does a QB catch a pass that hit's a receiver in both hands when open...

----------------------

I get it some people weren't Bryce fans ( I wanted AR15), but at the same time, let's not be ignorant about the common sense aspects of this.

Drastic differences for Stroud with Nico who no one knew of or cared about, and a mid round receiver in Dell, is that Stroud ACTUALLY has time in the pocket. 

Go look at Cam's season's with Bell, and Chandler at OT, we didn't do a whole lot those years. EVERY QB needs adequate talent around them, it is the most dependent position on the field, because you can't do a damn thing at QB without 1) a legit OL, and 2) weapons. 

We are not even going to get into scheme, like do you think Purdy is making -- CMC, Debbo, Aiyuk, and Kittle better....no, they make him look good. Trent Williams at LT you think Purdy is helping him block at the point of attack?

Ya'll gotta stop these ignorant ass posts....

They weren’t. 
They got NFL open enough. 
There were FAR more wildly inaccurate passes than drops.

Bold: Yes, please go look at Cam’s years with bad OL and no weapons other than Olsen (that’s every single year after Smitty left). Even at the worst point Cam was 100x better than Bryce. One of those years he was MVP, with only the benefit of a mediocre LT rather than an atrocious one being a difference. Still a bad OL.  Three of those years we were legit SB contenders.  With a terrible HC and the worst OC to ever coordinate in the NFL. 

• Pie 1

45 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

Cam was also never as accurate as Bryce is. 

Cam never fully honed in his throwing mechanics until the 2018 season and by then it was sadly too late. But he could make franchise QB throws look easy that Bryce Young could only dream of currently.

Lawd I almost fell out my chair reading someone say Cam was LESS accurate than Bryce…the least accurate QB I maybe have ever seen in my life.  Cam had a high throw every now and then but he had good placement and put the ball where it needed to be for the WR to make a play and potential gain more yards. Bryce had a handful of good throws ALL YEAR.  Even the short passes were often inaccurate and prevented the WR from trying to get YAC. Most passes over 10-15 yards either sailed 10 yards over the receivers head or otherwise nowhere in the vicinity. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1