• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Personnel moves to win NFC South

11 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

The team has missed the boat on trading Burns. That was a major screw up that is going to cost the team dearly. 

Yeah it's one way the Texans flipped the script so fast. They moved on from Watson and got their kings ransom for him. We had the rams offering another kings ransom and said no. Last year's draft could have mirrored the Texans and we would have easily won the division with all the draft capital to move into position to take Stroud and still fill the roster with early round talent. Oops 

I'd say winning the NFC South is a low bar that could be achieved but the cost would be overpaid vets with no upside past NFC South title.

Rather strip the thing down and prep for 2025.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

9 hours ago, bythenbrs said:

Just spit ballin’ here but, maybe we should have built out the roster first and then drafted our QB of the future…

I know, I know.  That’s crazy talk…

Yep. Also, why are these threads throwing in trading for WRs? This WR draft class is deep. Just like last year, we traded assets instead of building. We should have gone for a great TE last year (in addition to pick 9 - Carter next to Brown SMH) and QB/WR this year but we try quick fixes and fug them up.

14 hours ago, PootieNunu said:

You dont trade away what we did in order to be able to run a QB hiding power run offense. 

Bryce needs to not fuging be the worst starting QB next season. 

We can't go back in time and undo the trade.  So at this point, the front office and the staff have to do what is best for the team going forward.  If that means we move to a power running attack, so be it.  And if that gives Bryce a couple of years to turn into a good qb (ala Trevor Lawrence or Josh Allen) then so much the better.  

If we keep looking at the situation as "we gave up a lot for him, so he has to be great now" then he is probably doomed.  

5 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

The team has missed the boat on trading Burns. That was a major screw up that is going to cost the team dearly. 

Agreed, we aren't going to get as much for him now.

Better to give him a higher contract and get what we can performance wise.  If we tag and trade him now, we might get a second and will likely have a significant portion of his cap hit on our books.  

Regarding your earlier comment about moving the Oline around, I wouldn't mind trying Brady at left tackle and moving Ickey to guard.  I think Ickey might do better at guard.  But besides that, I agree.  

16 minutes ago, bythenbrs said:

Just for grins, if someone has access to ChatGPT, ask SkyNet what personnel moves it recommends to win the NFC South.

IMG_2111.jpeg

What personnel moves can the Carolina panthers make to win the nfc south division next season?

”To enhance their chances of winning the NFC South, the Carolina Panthers could focus on strategic player acquisitions through trades, free agency, and the draft. Strengthening key positions like quarterback, offensive line, and secondary, while addressing any roster gaps, will be crucial. Additionally, optimizing coaching staff and refining team strategies could contribute to a competitive edge within the division.”

16 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

We can't go back in time and undo the trade.  So at this point, the front office and the staff have to do what is best for the team going forward.  If that means we move to a power running attack, so be it.  And if that gives Bryce a couple of years to turn into a good qb (ala Trevor Lawrence or Josh Allen) then so much the better.  

If we keep looking at the situation as "we gave up a lot for him, so he has to be great now" then he is probably doomed.  

A power running attack usually features deep shots on PA, Bryce is not made for that scheme. They will stack 10 guys in the box and dare Bryce to beat them over the top until he proves he can. 

His best bet is dink and dunk with lots of YAC with i guess intermediate shots to keep the d honest....no clue...

• Beer 1

33 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

A power running attack usually features deep shots on PA, Bryce is not made for that scheme. They will stack 10 guys in the box and dare Bryce to beat them over the top until he proves he can. 

His best bet is dink and dunk with lots of YAC with i guess intermediate shots to keep the d honest....no clue...

Usually, but not always.  I have seen teams feature a power rushing attack, and a passing attack that utilizes a lot of short an intermediate range passes.  I was a Washington fan for years, and Theisman never had a strong arm, but he had a great coach, some good receivers, a good oline and John Riggins.   

There isn't anything we can do within reason to compete for the South in 2024. The long term blueprint would be to build something similar to what the Saints had with Drew Brees in 2011, or whichever team you like best under his era. That will take multiple seasons of building and some luck. The ceiling for Young is Wal-Mart Drew Brees if we're lucky, and a career backup if we're not. Young looks more backup than Brees, but they both need the same system.  

We'll need a god-tier roster to win the South, or playcalling that just schemes guys open and makes things really easy for Young for most of the game. A TD machine like Jimmy Graham would be nice to snag in the draft if we can find one. We have needs from top to bottom on offense. When you need a #1 WR, TE, LT, G, and your QB has looked abysmal for an entire season, you are truly screwed short term. We're not even close.

I'm a believer in building the trenches in the draft first, then we'll see what's available for a #1 WR in free agency. We don't have a #1 pick so finding a #1 WR in the 2nd round is highly unlikely and that can't be your plan. We'll know more but we're too far out to really get a grip on the situation. 

1 hour ago, Davidson Deac II said:

So at this point, the front office and the staff have to do what is best for the team going forward.  If that means we move to a power running attack, so be it.   

Wouldn't we need a QB that can play under center for that?

• Pie 1