• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Higgins to Panthers possible?

NAS

8 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

Pretty much. Nailed it with that last paragraph.

We need a natural separater that comes with refined route running skills and a program with pro style offense.

Regarding the draft—mentioned elsewhere but the few that have had my eye (primarily since they were on a lot of national tv during the season) were McMillan out of WAS and Mitchell in Texas.

Mitchell at 33 is a strong possibility. His stock is rising - diverse route tree, can play multiple spots, good route runner, strong burst off the line.

I was a huge Odunze fan going into the year but he cemented a solid 1st round status. Troy Franklin is another to keep an eye on but he’s not as refined as a route runner, but has awesome big play ability. 

I think Mitchell would be ideal but I did not think he'd be there.  I think so much elite talent at the top will push productive talent down a round.  I think we will need to draft a WR early in the second and fourth, (at least that is what I do in my mocking, and we all know if I do it in mocks, that is what should be done!) 

I believe a projected first rounder will be there at 33.  I just hope it is someone with a skill set that will help Canales the most.

$$$ will be the issue in CIncy, but Chase has been vocal about the team re-signing Higgins.  That could mean some contract structures that include both players to accommodate it.  The Bengals could tag Higgins as well.  They are not likely to want to reduce the weaponry for their star QB.

On the other hand, they could look at the cost and realize that they can draft a good WR in this draft--WR is loaded.  But you really aim for consistency and Higgins is between 25 and 26....So I think they re-sign him.

As a GM, I would be circling the skies like a buzzard over these cities that are going to have to bend and stretch to sign their own marquee players; that usually means letting a lesser player or a good player at a lesser-need position walk.  That is really how you build a roster.   I am a frugal person, so I would stay out of free agency for the first three days--90% of the time you overpay.  Then I would go into it like a red neck at Wal-Mart on black Friday.

• Beer 1

27 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

$$$ will be the issue in CIncy, but Chase has been vocal about the team re-signing Higgins.  That could mean some contract structures that include both players to accommodate it.  The Bengals could tag Higgins as well.  They are not likely to want to reduce the weaponry for their star QB.

On the other hand, they could look at the cost and realize that they can draft a good WR in this draft--WR is loaded.  But you really aim for consistency and Higgins is between 25 and 26....So I think they re-sign him.

As a GM, I would be circling the skies like a buzzard over these cities that are going to have to bend and stretch to sign their own marquee players; that usually means letting a lesser player or a good player at a lesser-need position walk.  That is really how you build a roster.   I am a frugal person, so I would stay out of free agency for the first three days--90% of the time you overpay.  Then I would go into it like a red neck at Wal-Mart on black Friday.

This! ^

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

walmart GIF

walmart GIF

I think Higgins is definitely a good player but I don't know if I would break the bank for him. If any team besides the Bengals sign him, it will be for a contract higher than the value he has shown so far on the hope that he can emerge as a number 1 receiver. He may or he may not, who knows.....Ever notice how many of the guys who sign the biggest contracts in the first few days of free agency usually never give their team the value that they paid? It just scares me to sign him to something monstrous as thats what it will take more than likely. Could we potentially learn to draft and develop wide receivers for a change and find us some great guys in the upcoming draft? Teams do it regularly. Look at all the rookie wide receivers who played wonderfully this season. Could we potentially draft a very good one and actually not have to break the bank in free agency instead? It's a gamble either way I know but I would rather go the draft way and hope somebody scouting actually knows what the heck they are looking for and can actually SCOUT for a change when it comes sti wide receivers.

22 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

why would he (or evans) come here?  It literally makes no sense

With a great WR draft and feeling like we don’t even have our future WB in house, it doesn’t make sense. That said, we are down a 1st round pick in what someone on ESPN just said is a super talented draft, so who knows what we’ll do. It does hurt know long we could have had 3 top 33 picks in an epic draft class full of stud WRs, OTs and CBs.

I'd put Higgins in the DJ Moore tier. 

I mean, I'd take him.  I'm still not sure how much he really helps Bryce.  I think with Bryce we really need to spread the field and give up some quick WRs/RBs to fixate on small ball.  That's what he is at this level.  A dink and dunk QB.  We need some slot speed and a stud TE IMO paired up w/ a receiving RB (and we got zero parts for that trio). 

Ultimately, I think Higgins stays in Cincy

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Ricky Prickles said:

I think Higgins is definitely a good player but I don't know if I would break the bank for him. If any team besides the Bengals sign him, it will be for a contract higher than the value he has shown so far on the hope that he can emerge as a number 1 receiver. He may or he may not, who knows.....Ever notice how many of the guys who sign the biggest contracts in the first few days of free agency usually never give their team the value that they paid? It just scares me to sign him to something monstrous as thats what it will take more than likely. Could we potentially learn to draft and develop wide receivers for a change and find us some great guys in the upcoming draft? Teams do it regularly. Look at all the rookie wide receivers who played wonderfully this season. Could we potentially draft a very good one and actually not have to break the bank in free agency instead? It's a gamble either way I know but I would rather go the draft way and hope somebody scouting actually knows what the heck they are looking for and can actually SCOUT for a change when it comes sti wide receivers.

WR1 has become the new QB1.  You have to draft them and play them on their rookie deals for 4/5 years.  Once they’re up for their second contract, they’re replaceable.

WR is the sexy position in high school and college, NFL mindset needs to adapt.

• Beer 1

Can someone help me understand - what exactly do many of you mean when you say Tee Higgins hasn't shown you he can be a #1 receiver yet?  His rookie year he was 28th in the league in yardage...next 2 years he was 17th and 20th even while missing 3 total games and being the 2nd option on his team.

If that isn't the production of a #1 caliber guy what is?  He was literally more productive than half the teams' #1 guy the last 2 seasons before he was injured in 2023.

1 minute ago, Tomcatn said:

Was Agent #89 the last honest to God #1 WR we've had? It's been so long ago that I can't remember. Biggest dawg IMHO the Panthers ever had. I miss those days

only in a world where DJ Moore hitting a window where he was the only WR in the entire NFL to log 3 straight 1100+ seasons is viewed as a #2 WR (with trash QB play). 

DJ Moore was #1.  Is a #1.   A #1 isn't defined as a top 5 WR only. 

• Flames 1

19 minutes ago, CRA said:

only in a world where DJ Moore hitting a window where he was the only WR in the entire NFL to log 3 straight 1100+ seasons is viewed as a #2 WR (with trash QB play). 

DJ Moore was #1.  Is a #1.   A #1 isn't defined as a top 5 WR only. 

Yeah I would say DJ was our only other true #1 since Smitty - and you can BOLD, underline, and italicize that "trash QB play" part.

Edited by Stingray3030