• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The 49ers Super Bowl problem

kungfoodude

54 minutes ago, Basbear said:

wtf is this BS??

Love to have HC shanny here to "struggle" and "choke" in the SBs...

If you gauge things by our relative success, we'd love to have Greg Schiano.

This thread has absolutely nothing to do with Panthers football.

25 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Chief’s defense and their DBs in particular were a huge reason for their playoff run. Just excellent play there. And Mahomes of course is in a tier of his own.

The truth is, KC was a defensively led team this season. It was what allowed Mahomes to be throwing to subpar WR's all year and still winning.

• Beer 2

5 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

But based on everything you've outlined above, I could also accurately frame it as the HoF QB needing his team to have near perfect play to barely defeat a game managing QB.  49ers lost 2 fumbles and missed an XP, and yet they took that HoF QB to overtime.

It feels like people are trying to paint this image of a JAG QB with an all-time great team around him while Mahomes carried a bunch of bums to a Super Bowl victory through his sheer greatness.  Purdy does have a great team around him no doubt, but the Chiefs' defense was damn elite - 2nd in yards and TDs on the season, and allowing less than 14 points a game in the postseason leading up to the Super Bowl...they had just held the league MVP to 10 points in the AFC Championship.  Reid + Spagnuolo is virtually indisputably the best offensive/defensive coaching duo.  49ers for sure have the much better offensive skill players.  But all things considered (offense, defense, coaching) - I don't think the gap between the 49ers and Chiefs outside of QB is all that significant, and yet it was a damn close game.  I'm sorry, but if you give me two relatively evenly matched teams and you tell me one has a JAG at QB and the other has a HoF QB in his prime, I'm not expecting an OT nail-biter.  It ain't adding up.

Ok so either you think Purdy isn't a game manager, or you think Mahomes won't make the HoF, or both. Is that correct? I didn't call Purdy a JAG as that is a little too vague.

13 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Well the difference is that this just happened to them in 2020. That doesn’t make this an outlier.

I'd say that for almost all teams, the Super Bowl is such a rare happening that almost any appearance there is an outlier. 

On 2/12/2024 at 12:14 PM, t96 said:

as Cam said and got absolutely trashed for... I'm loving Cam as a media analyst

Shannon Sharpe was on his podcast last weekend and said before the Manningcast he pitched the same idea to Cam. Those two would have been gold. Cam fumbled the bag.

• Beer 3

2 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

I'd say that for almost all teams, the Super Bowl is such a rare happening that almost any appearance there is an outlier. 

That statement wouldn't really apply to either of these teams. Take a look at their total appearances since 2013.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, MechaZain said:

Shannon Sharpe was on his podcast last weekend and said before the Manningcast he pitched the same idea to Cam. Those two would have been gold. Cam fumbled the bag.

maybe but even if Cam was in on that idea I doubt a network gives Sharpe/Cam an alternate broadcast. Like it or not Mannings are a much easier sell to average NFL fans.

Just now, t96 said:

maybe but even if Cam was in on that idea I doubt a network gives Sharpe/Cam an alternate broadcast. Like it or not Mannings are a much easier sell to average NFL fans.

Plus Shannon and Cam might be too similar in delivery. They usually like two people of different styles on those idiotic horseshit shows.

28 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Plus Shannon and Cam might be too similar in delivery. They usually like two people of different styles on those idiotic horseshit shows.

yeah I see what you're saying, although Cam isn't anywhere near the blowhard Shannon is, he has unique opinions and a unique way of expressing them but his delivery is way different than a Shannon or Stephen A

• Beer 1