• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Luke -- 1st ballot HoF?

t96

He's eligible next year, he's gotta be 1st ballot right? An easy recent comparison of elite player who retired early in his prime like Luke is Megatron who was 1st ballot a few years ago:

Megatron: 3x 1st team all-pro, 1x 2nd team all-pro, single season receiving yards record, 6x pro bowler, just 2 playoff games both losses

Luke: 5x 1st team all-pro, 2x 2nd team all-pro, 7x pro bowler, DROY, DPOY. Super Bowl appearance and elite play in that run

Luke pretty much blows him out of the water with nearly twice as many All Pro selections and the DPOY.

Also, not sure how they calculate it but this website does a "Legends Score" which has Luke as one of the top contenders for being 1st ballot HoF, his score/season is even higher than Brady's and the highest of all current HoF contenders (including retired players eligible and not yet eligible for the hall)

https://futurefootballlegends.com/Top_Contenders/

• Pie 7

There's a very good chance he can make first ballot. Suggs will also be eligible and might get that first ballot nod on longevity alone. 

Luke, Eli, and Suggs are all locks. I think two out of three will make first ballot with the third guy getting it in 2026. 

poo, I almost want to call Vinatieri a lock also. Definitely not first ballot, though. 

Edited by Chimera

Luke 100% should be a first ballot HOF

BUT he won’t be.  Patrick Willis got in on his 5th year of eligibility.  3rd year as a nominee.  Inside LB is what it is in today’s game, the position itself is going to work against him IMO. 

• Pie 2

25 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

Well they just put Andre Johnson in before Steve Smith so who the fug knows.

Took TO years to get in.

reality is, Steve Smith is an a hole.  Got to think that is going to factor given the people that vote.   He has massive jerk as a player.   He assaulted a bunch of people on top of that.   

I get he is our lovable a hole.  But it won’t be a shock if it takes someone with his personality and history longer than others floating around in the same tier to get in. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

12 minutes ago, CRA said:

Took TO years to get in.

reality is, Steve Smith is an a hole.  Got to think that is going to factor given the people that vote.   He has massive jerk as a player.   He assaulted a bunch of people on top of that.   

I get he is our lovable a hole.  But it won’t be a shock if it takes someone with his personality and history longer than others floating around in the same tier to get in. 

I was about to say this. 

A negative word has ever been spoken about Luke, ever. Unquestionably liked and respected. He played the game the way it was supposed to be played, with superhuman ability, in big moments, on the national stage. He is the guy you want your daughter to marry. He is literally everything a HOF player could be. 

1 hour ago, CRA said:

Took TO years to get in.

Terrel Owen’s?

59 minutes ago, CRA said:

Took TO years to get in.

Didn’t you say this in the other thread and then say you didn’t want to talk about it, or was that somebody else? I don’t think Steve Smith’s perception outside of Panthers fans is anything close to this. Nobody except Panthers fans talk about him punching a teammate in 2004 or whenever the fug it was. The reality is, we have a major cuck mentality in our fanbase that lets the media get away with this bullshit. There should be nationwide outrage at the hose job Smith is getting by the HOF voters (there was plenty of outrage over TOs treatment, btw), but there isn’t because our fans consistently side against our own players. Our own fans putting out that he “assaulted a bunch of people”. A BUNCH of people? Come on man.

• Pie 3

17 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

Didn’t you say this in the other thread and then say you didn’t want to talk about it, or was that somebody else? I don’t think Steve Smith’s perception outside of Panthers fans is anything close to this. Nobody except Panthers fans talk about him punching a teammate in 2004 or whenever the fug it was. The reality is, we have a major cuck mentality in our fanbase that lets the media get away with this bullshit. There should be nationwide outrage at the hose job Smith is getting by the HOF voters (there was plenty of outrage over TOs treatment, btw), but there isn’t because our fans consistently side against our own players. Our own fans putting out that he “assaulted a bunch of people”. A BUNCH of people? Come on man.

While I agree with you mostly Smith did have multiple assaults of teammates at practice over the years.  And he had numerous altercations on the field with CB's - I think that is most of these guys' point.  He may not get in as early as others because of it.  

34 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

That wasn't me.  And Steve Smith didn't just punch 1 teammate in 2004.  Now we doing revisionist history. 

You don't think sports writers/media/insiders/etc that have covered the NFL for years......think Steve Smith was an a hole?  I mean, agree to disagree.  Whose perception are you talking about? Random fans of other teams aren't voting.   You can go look at who votes.  

I'm just arguing it likely impacts things.  We have seen that in this sport and other sports when it comes down to voters.   I don't care to argue what should or shouldn't matter in voting. 

Heck, I think a lot of folks that work in the media today with and around him likely see it too.  He has been on live TV in retirement as a professional....and clowned folks and been a jerk.   And Panthers fans just giggle in embrace it.  Which is fine.  He can be our loveable a hole.  That's sports.  Fans like that stuff.  Lot of people love that aspect about 89.  Other fans too.  Lot of people like rooting for people that are a holes because it's entertaining to them.  But he without questions was one. 

It's always been weird to me when select Panther fans simply can't accept that basic fact being acknowledged about 89.  

I mean, an example just was laid out and there are tons of older examples involving others..... Andre Johnson getting farther than 89.  That didn't happen because of what Johnson can do on a football field vs 89.  That happened because of who they were as people in the game of football.  It matters.  It's always mattered.  Should it? That I'm not debating. You tell me why Andre Johnson is ahead of 89. 

• Pie 1