• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sports Agency telling players not to take cognitive tests before draft.

10 minutes ago, WarHeel said:

I’m still not buying that Bryce was the original consensus. I firmly believe this test screwed Stroud and subsequently screwed us into making potentially the dumbest sequence of trades and draft picks this franchise has ever seen. 

THIS?

dumbest sequence of trades and picks that THIS?!?!?! franchise has ever seen?

THIS?!?!?!

I think you meant to say "the NFL"

In the pursuit of the competitive edge, teams aren't making the best choices in their data sets.

Data is data, but without context, it's just a bunch of numbers.   I wouldn't blame players for skipping that after what happened to CJ.  Now was the the only reason he slid all the way to 2?  No.  There were real concerns with Stroud.  The overwhelming national narrative was Bryce was just a little bit better due to his creativity and playmaking ability coming out of Alabama.  Bryce also carried the caveat that his size is a MAJOR outlier.  The S2 nonsense didn't help, but it wasn't the whole story.

There are plenty of stories of the best QBs not being #1 over all.  We'll just have to see what happens with our QB.  S2 is fine as a piece of the puzzle, but it's not the only defining characteristic of a person.  CJ was drug through the mud, which was stupid, over leaked scores.  The problem is that if a person says "no, I decline to share my secret scores with the world" is interpreted as they aren't proud of their results and think it will hurt their stock.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'd just have my clients take it beforehand so that I know what the results are gonna be. If the results will be beneficial for them have them take it. If not, don't. Just like they already do with all the combine workouts.

Idk all the prep Bryce did for it was probably better spent in the weightroom in hindsight.

• Beer 2

35 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I think i remember when it was getting the most hype and attention, the guy who owns S2 was kind of warning people that it was meant to be one piece of many many data points in evaluating, not the crucial one piece of data that would be the deciding factor.

After Purdy has success and it was pointed out that he scored the highest, people saw it as the most important data point and it all blew up.

I don't blame S2. I blame the hype machine that blows poo out of proportion when it's new.

"People" might just be David Tepper and possibly other Panthers' brass at the time. I mean, Stroud still went #2 overall. It's not like he went tumbling. Listening to Tepper and the Panthers racing about his "super processing" does leave me thinking that the S2 likely played a significant role in our evaluation process though.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's my understanding that you can't really prep for it all that much. 

Bryce has taken it multiple times since high school (maybe CJ did too but I didn't see any stories on it). I think it's like the SAT where the questions won't be the same but you can still practice the test to get a general idea. 

• Pie 1

45 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

"People" might just be David Tepper and possibly other Panthers' brass at the time. I mean, Stroud still went #2 overall. It's not like he went tumbling. Listening to Tepper and the Panthers racing about his "super processing" does leave me thinking that the S2 likely played a significant role in our evaluation process though.

Yep. Most important thing to remember when thinking about Tepper is, he's just a dumb football fan (like most of us in here) that bought a team.

We think we know what we're talking about, like we're experts and occasionally one or two of us might get something right and we think that means we know what we're talking about...and that's perfectly ok because we don't own a team.

Tepper is what happens when a fan owns a team.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

23 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

Bryce has taken it multiple times since high school (maybe CJ did too but I didn't see any stories on it). I think it's like the SAT where the questions won't be the same but you can still practice the test to get a general idea. 

It's supposed to be more akin to an IQ test where yeah, you can practice but your ability to improve on your performance is pretty limited.

• Pie 3