• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Getting Crunch Time for the Panthers and Brian Burns

45catfan

What to do with Burns?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Burns should be

• Frachised tagged
    • Transitional tagged
    • Re-singed to a top 5 Edge contract
    • Traded for draft capital or player(s)
    • Let test free agency and if signed away, at least get a high comp pick in 2025

Just now, frankw said:

I'm torn between both viewpoints here because both are valid.

It's fine to feel either way. But we can also be realistic and grapple with the possibility Burns has a career resurgence at his next destination. It's become like a Panthers tradition at this point.

It's a good debate and it's what makes this a hot topic.  Both views can be right and both have good points.  My final view is if the right trade is there take it IE the Baltimore trade.  If not, tag or try to extend if you can get a deal similar to the Sweat deal.  There are several variables to consider.  We just need a replacement plus capital if we trade him IMO.  

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

Sorry, but the team/cap friendly re-signing choice wasn't a realistic option.  I thought about it, but if that were in the cards, a deal would have already been done by now.

No sweat. I’m more alluding to the fact that the best option already passed us by haha

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Burns played scared and lowered his value. Montez Sweat was traded for a 2nd. Burns isn't worth more than that, especially with his down year. Burns was also never worth what the Rams offered, which shows how bad of a GM Fitt was. He should have taken that offer and giggled like a child thinking about how he just fleeced another team. GMs are going to wonder if Burns will slack off even more once he gets paid since he slacked off in his contract year and if he really wants to play football.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Call Me James said:

Please don’t make the same mistakes we made with cmc and Dj Moore.

trading them for less than their value.

They had the opportunity to do that with Burns last year. But we do what we do, piss it away. Only thing left to do now is start the search for a trade partner before the deadline.  But it appears that against all reason and logical they are still trying to get a deal done to keep him. Same crap different season.

15 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

A part of me wants to see him get a top 5 DE contract just to see this board have a meltdown.

Realistically I think we should seriously trade him for a possible upgrade at WR. Can we get Metcalf for Burns?

We would have to include a second or something.

Edited by Shotgun

Tag and trade. 

that nothing has been done by now feels to me that there are opposing factions within the organization. If everyone wanted him, he’d be signed by now. If he was universally unwanted, he’d be gone. I think the refusing of the Rams offer exemplifies this. Turning that down for a team desperate for draft picks shows that someone in the org has a big man crush. If Dave wanted him traded, he’d have been gone with that deal. 

Edited by Gapanthersfan

11 minutes ago, Gapanthersfan said:

Tag and trade. 

that nothing has been done by now feels to me that there are opposing factions within the organization. If everyone wanted him, he’d be signed by now. If he was universally unwanted, he’d be gone. I think the refusing of the Rams offer exemplifies this. Turning that down for a team desperate for draft picks shows that someone in the org has a big man crush. If Dave wanted him traded, he’d have been gone with that deal. 

Isn't he technically a FA now? He's not under contract so we couldn't do anything until the window opens. Even if they wanted too.  Either way he gets the tag in a couple weeks.