• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The CAP is now $255.4 MILLION….. now pay Burns, Brown, Luvu and let’s get this ship righted

TheBigKat

3 hours ago, top dawg said:

Here is a little evidence supporting our claim:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/sacking-father-time-elite-pass-rushers-productive-into-their-30s/

Admittedly, some of it probably undoubtedly depends upon who a person is paired with, but pass rushers can go to their mid 30s.

Agree in theory, but Burns' pass rush relies solely on his speed. I think it's very possible that Burns hits a wall as he gets to that 28-30 range. Similar to running backs. He really isn't a well rounded hand in the dirt DE.

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Day1PanthersFan said:

We are going to keep sinking till we patch the massive hole at QB 

So true. They’ll have to fix that hole in Tepper’s brain where common sense should go first.

Maybe we could use our number one overall draft pick on one. Oh wait.

13 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

No one is saying give burns a blank check.  

Calm down. 

He still needs to be retained, or the Panthers should just stop trying to football. 

He doesn't necessarily "need" to be retained. We aren't going to lose games because he isn't here. It isn't like he has won us games solely because he isn't the type of pass rusher to just take over a game.

If he can be retained a reasonable price and IF he doesn't immediately shut down because he got his big deal(I think most of this fanbase should be concerned about this given recent play and comments) then it would be nice to retain him. But if it takes away from our ability to sign bigger game changers on defense, he is not worth keeping.

Until he basically becomes an elite DE, none of is should want to see him get elite DE money. That's the thing about most of the upper tier DE's with massive contracts, they showed that BEFORE they got their mega-deals. Burns has not done that.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

On 2/23/2024 at 7:00 PM, Panther0221 said:

That's the entire point. Our culture sucks and nothing is pushing our players to be the best they can be. Our coaches should've pulled Burns ass out of the game the first time it was apparent he was holding back. 

If we pay Burns, we tell everyone in that locker room they can slack off on their contract year and get PAID.

I think it's misguided to put the lack of culture on any single player. Particularly those on defense when the most important player on the team finished with one of the lowest yards per attempt in NFL history. By midseason every other defense out there including ours because they practice against each other knew we were limited and some throws and basically half the field were simply off the table that was pretty much it. I wouldn't be inclined to go full bore and risk my career to a fluke injury watching Bryce Young's historic rookie season either.

We can keep pointing fingers but whether it's Brian Burns or Derrick Brown or whichever FA or rookie pass rusher we acquire if our offense doesn't begin to resemble an actual NFL unit eventually anyone is going to get tired of it and stop going the extra mile.

I'm fully on board with switching more resources to the offense because that's where the league is going. But we should be clear with each other right here right now that if our pass rush looks like ass in the regular season some of ya'll are going to flip flop and be rage posting about it. Don't kid yourselves.

13 hours ago, Day1PanthersFan said:

We are going to keep sinking till we patch the massive hole at QB 

It’s almost funny that some people in here think if we extend Burns we are suddenly OK. We have an old and very talent poor roster right now. The only way we get out of that is via the draft.

The cap discussion is almost stupid at this point. We have plenty for Brown, Luvu and Burns and guess what? There’s not another player from the 2021-2023 drafts that we actually need to worry about extending. Horn? Never plays. Iky? He was awful last year and doesn’t look like a LT. Burns would have 15 sacks every year if he played for NO, Tampa or Atlanta against Iky. Extend Young? Nah, we already discuss his replacement. We don’t even have a 1st in 2024 or a 2nd in 2025.

We’ll likely blow a ton of cap on mediocre FAs as we have the past few years but realistically we won’t have cap issues for at least 5 or 6 years.

There is literally nothing to discuss besides our next few drafts. Signing Burns for $20M or $30M is honestly meaningless. Getting 2 firsts for him, sure that’s a true impact to our future but that ship sailed.

23 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I mean, he would be 28-29. I would hardly call that "past his prime."

Totally fair. Guess I was thinking about the best currently like Bosa and Crosby at 26, Garrett at 28. Parsons 24.  Watt 29.  

3 hours ago, frankw said:

I think it's misguided to put the lack of culture on any single player. Particularly those on defense when the most important player on the team finished with one of the lowest yards per attempt in NFL history. By midseason every other defense out there including ours because they practice against each other knew we were limited and some throws and basically half the field were simply off the table that was pretty much it. I wouldn't be inclined to go full bore and risk my career to a fluke injury watching Bryce Young's historic rookie season either.

We can keep pointing fingers but whether it's Brian Burns or Derrick Brown or whichever FA or rookie pass rusher we acquire if our offense doesn't begin to resemble an actual NFL unit eventually anyone is going to get tired of it and stop going the extra mile.

I'm fully on board with switching more resources to the offense because that's where the league is going. But we should be clear with each other right here right now that if our pass rush looks like ass in the regular season some of ya'll are going to flip flop and be rage posting about it. Don't kid yourselves.

No, but he was the only one that had the balls and go out to the media and say he was playing not to get hurt. 

If you think that attitude doesn't affect the locker room, I don't know what to tell you. It isn't all his fault, but rewarding him telling the public he held back will solidify that culture. 

I don't care if he goes out somewhere else and has a HOF career, he won't do that here because our culture sucks and rewards being lazy.

Ping Pong after having the worst record in the NFL needs to go, they need to get 100% new veterans. Imagine if the 2-14 Panthers in 2010 played ping pong in front of Steve Smith.

Edited by Panther0221
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, WhoKnows said:

We have an old and very talent poor roster right now. 

This roster isn't even old... like at all.. we have a FEW old players... but the talent point stands lol We are in the top half or less of average age. Seems older because we relied on 32 year old AT for offensive production lol

53 minutes ago, Steelo said:

This roster isn't even old... like at all.. we have a FEW old players... but the talent point stands lol We are in the top half or less of average age. Seems older because we relied on 32 year old AT for offensive production lol

It is: https://www.phillyvoice.com/ranking-nfl-teams-age-after-53-man-cutdowns-2023-edition/amp/

From the start of the 2023 season we have the 5th oldest roster.

• Pie 1