• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Upcoming: 2024 NFL Combine

45catfan

Just now, SmokinwithWilly said:

This is not a sarcastic question. Do we know if Dave and Nicole are making the trip to the combine this year? 

I hope not.  Lacking a first round pick and Dave "taking a step back" bodes well for him skipping this year.

39 minutes ago, Stingray3030 said:

The problem is there is almost never top tier WR talent available in FA - this year is the same.  We won't have a shot at anyone above Marquise Brown, who is a high caliber #2.  We draft or we don't get a top tier.

I was thinking about this the other day.  It seems like you almost always want to build the offense through the draft because there are never many good free agents unless they are past their prime.  The only exception may be running backs.  Where as with defense you can plug some holes with free agents every year.

Edited by Tr3ach

28 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

I was thinking about this the other day.  It seems like you almost always want to build the offense through the draft because there are never many good free agents unless they are past their prime.  The only exception may be running backs.  Where as with defense you can plug some holes with free agents every year.

And therein lies our problem - we suck at scouting for the draft

• Flames 2

1 hour ago, Tr3ach said:

It isn’t almost always. It’s always. You can’t build a team from FA. It’s not possible. You can augment a good team and make them better but you have to draft well. If we don’t draft well this year and in 2025, the Canales era will be over before it starts.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

55 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

It isn’t almost always. It’s always. You can’t build a team from FA. It’s not possible. You can augment a good team and make them better but you have to draft well. If we don’t draft well this year and in 2025, the Canales era will be over before it starts.

I definitely agree, I'm just saying it seems easier to find stop gap free agents on the defensive side than the offensive side.

• Pie 3

On 2/26/2024 at 2:16 PM, rayzor said:

… this is going to be a nice deep draft i think.

Yes, which is why we need more draft picks to maximize this deeper draft.  We need to move Burns for picks and/or consider trading back for additional picks.  33 is a very nice position to pick some first round talent that dropped to the second day but, if we can get two starters out of this, we ought to work the phones hard to see what we can get… assuming we don’t screw the pooch again with scouting.

Edited by bythenbrs

On 2/26/2024 at 2:16 PM, rayzor said:

this is going to be a nice deep draft i think.

It’s almost as if we had finished with the worst record and all our picks and if we had made a trade for additional 1sts this year and in 2025 that we would have been in great position to add a ton of talent to our team. SMH. It just hurts knowing we were given the chance to rebuild quickly and said no, we’d rather do it the hard way.

• Pie 1

32 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

It’s almost as if we had finished with the worst record and all our picks and if we had made a trade for additional 1sts this year and in 2025 that we would have been in great position to add a ton of talent to our team. SMH. It just hurts knowing we were given the chance to rebuild quickly and said no, we’d rather do it the hard way.

i feel ya. i'm just starting to get tired of dealing with what should have been. all that does is piss me off.

now it's just on what we can do with what we've got. i'm hoping that the morgan/canales team can make chicken salad out of chicken poo.

• Pie 2

22 minutes ago, rayzor said:

i feel ya. i'm just starting to get tired of dealing with what should have been. all that does is piss me off.

now it's just on what we can do with what we've got. i'm hoping that the morgan/canales team can make chicken salad out of chicken poo.

I hear ya. It’s tough to look back the last few years because it has been so bad. It’s hard to get excited when the pressers feel like more of the same. We like Iky at LT. We don’t think Young needs much tweaking and we want to build up around him. If we don’t draft well this year and next year, we are in for completing a full decade of being that worst in the league team. We are 6 years in to a max 7 win team and we are at the lowest point. It’s damn hard not to be tired of this team and get annoyed at the OMG, Morgan wants dawgz woo hoo! crowd.

I’ll throw a coin in the well and wish for Morgan/Canales to right the ship quickly. We need a miracle.