• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rizzuti & USA Today on prospects we've talked with

Morgan was right.  We need some Dawgs. Thanks Dawg.

It sure looks like we are 100% offense this time around. the D players (some of them) might be undrafted free agents.

The fact that we talked to multiple OTs and no IOL (I realize this list is probably not complete) could also be telling.  Could mean that we are targeting G in free agency like rumored.

In our draft range, OG and OC is deep too.  However, we could see 7 OTs come off the board in round 1--maybe 8.  In round 3, we could get a second round value.  Strongly suggests that we either A) are not 100% sold on Ickey or 2) need depth and plan to move on from Moton at some point, probably 2025.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 4

26 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Multiple WR types looks like we could go WR twice.  In the deepest WR draft in years, yes.  Teams may opt for other needs in the first round, assuming they can take a WR in round 2.  That will cause someone to drop.

My Rankings of these WRs (and so it was written):

X WRs

• Round 1, 2: Brian Thomas 6-4 205 LSU  (Gotta think Canales will want a Mike Evans clone)
  • Round 2: Keon Coleman 6-4 205 FSU (Another large Evans-type red zone WR)
  • Round 2, 3:  Xavier Legette 6-3 227 THE USC (thick WR who is 23 with 1 year of experience.  I thought he looked a bit sloppy at times at the Combine from what I could see.  I am a Gamecock fan, but I think he'd be a value at pick #65, not #33.

Slot WRs

• Round 1, 2: Ladd McConkey 6-0 185 UGA (Not sure you put him at slot exclusively; he can play all over.  Good route runner.)
  • Round 2: Xavier Worthy 6-1, 172 Texas (Zay Flowers' success, 4.21 could inflate his worthy-ness; I have him as a late second rounder, frankly.  I know many have him as a possible first rounder.  Too raw, imo.
  • Round 3, 4: Malik Washington 5-8, 195  UVa (Huge production at UVA and he is perfect for the RAC receiver we need for screens and reverses, etc.  Some have him as high as a second-round grade, but not in this WR group.  He is a third rounder and we could probably get him at pick #101. 
  • Round 3, 4: Ainias Smith 5-10, 200 TexAM  (Effective WR with big play and KR capabilities.

My overall Rankings

• Brian Thomas
  • Ladd McConkey
  • Keon Coleman
  • Xavier Worthy
  • Xavier Leggett
  • Malik Washington
  • Ainias Smith

Good breakdown rome wasn’t built in a day. We need to focus on deep speed and inside separation this off season. Then next off season try and find that Alpha WR. Unless somehow we can grab Pittman in FA( I don’t see Evans coming here). 

• Pie 5

22 minutes ago, Aussie Tank said:

Good breakdown rome wasn’t built in a day. We need to focus on deep speed and inside separation this off season. Then next off season try and find that Alpha WR. Unless somehow we can grab Pittman in FA( I don’t see Evans coming here). 

Nice to know that someone, somewhere is up when I am !!  I think we keep Thielen maybe one season and you are right, go after the Alpha.  We cannot miss on any picks--need 2 who can contribute.  I think we are going to splurge on a G and find a serviceable CB in free agency--and then we will draft a developmental T later, based on these tea leaves.

Edited by MHS831
  • Beer 1

18 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Nice to know that someone, somewhere is up when I am !!  I think we keep Thielen maybe one season and you are right, go after the Alpha.  We cannot miss on any picks--need 2 who can contribute.  I think we are going to splurge on a G and find a serviceable CB in free agency--and then we will draft a developmental T later, based on these tea leaves.

6 in the evening here haha. Yeah we’re spending our money on interior Oline this FA and probably double dipping at WR early in the draft 

• Pie 4

4 hours ago, top dawg said:

Anthony Rizzuti and USA Today's list of known players we've met with as of today during the offseason. 

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2024/03/03/panthers-2024-draft-meetings-tracker/

Offense 

RB Jonathan Brooks (Texas)

WR Keon Coleman (Florida State)
WR Xavier Legette (South Carolina)
WR Ladd McConkey (Georgia)
WR Ainias Smith (Texas A&M)
WR Brian Thomas Jr. (Louisiana State)
WR Malik Washington (Virginia)
WR Xavier Worthy (Texas)

TE Jared Wiley (Texas Christian)

OT Delmar Glaze (Maryland)
OT Blake Larson (Augustana)
OT Patrick Paul (Houston)

Defense 

EDGE Xavier Thomas (Clemson)
EDGE Bralen Trice (Washington)

DL Andre Carter (Indiana)
DL Jaden Crumedy (Mississippi State)
DL Braden Fiske (Florida State)

CB Nate Wiggins (Clemson)

S Trey Taylor (Air Force)

Broken down by position groups, and accounting for some skill position guys likely to be gone, this seems about right. 

Here is some bonus info:

https://atozsports.com/carolina/panthers-met-with-south-carolina-wr-xavier-legette-twice-ahead-of-2024-nfl-combine-news/

https://atozsports.com/carolina/panthers-meet-with-high-potential-wide-receiver-malik-washington-who-will-make-bryce-youngs-life-easier-nfl-news-2024-draft/

https://atozsports.com/carolina/carolina-panthers-meet-with-tcu-tight-end-jared-wiley-2024-nfl-draft-news/

To me that screams taking a WR at 33. They want a tackle to work behind Icky in case he fails, maybe? Or as a quality depth piece.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Aussie Tank said:

6 in the evening here haha. Yeah we’re spending our money on interior Oline this FA and probably double dipping at WR early in the draft 

That is what the tea leaves say.

2 hours ago, Panthero said:

To me that screams taking a WR at 33. They want a tackle to work behind Icky in case he fails, maybe? Or as a quality depth piece.

Wouldn't read too much into the Ickey situation. The truth is our starting IOL is abysmal and our backups at every position on the OL would largely not make any other team in the NFL.

That unit needs a LOT of help. If we draft well for the next 3-4 offseasons, it's possible we can rehabilitate it into an above average unit.

• Pie 3

Draft WRs and build them. In FA, the good ones, as well as the great ones, are incredibly expensive and sometimes risky investments. 

In FA, that's where I think we can make some waves at RB on the cheap.

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

Draft WRs and build them. In FA, the good ones, as well as the great ones, are incredibly expensive and sometimes risky investments. 

In FA, that's where I think we can make some waves at RB on the cheap.

This is arguably one of the best free agent RB classes of all time. Unfortunately we made our play last year with Sanders. It's unlikely we will be buyers in that market because of the cap implications. 

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

This is arguably one of the best free agent RB classes of all time. Unfortunately we made our play last year with Sanders. It's unlikely we will be buyers in that market because of the cap implications. 

agreed. i think if we trade back we might end up taking an RB. one thing i completely believe is that we absolutely should not go into next season without a power back of some kind.

• Pie 5