• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brian Burns Franchise Tagged

shaq

6 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

Bet you can't find someone who says we should not keep Burns or that he is overvalued.

I don't mean internet randos. I mean actual quotes from a professional, either media or inside the NFL - the people who's job it is to live and breath NFL football. Bet you can't find anyone who's an actual professional speak about Brian Burns the way the huddle does.

Fans of 31 teams would raise their hands if asked if they'd like Brian Burns on their team.

The huddle way undervalues him. I'm not saying he's worth $30MM, don't get it twisted. Y'all act like he's one of the worst players on defense. It's absolute insane to me.

He's our best edge rusher and didn't finish in the top 25 in NFL sacks this season. Pass rusher is his specialty. Jadaveon Clowney was on a 10m contract this season and finished with more sacks than Burns. He's not an elite edge. He's just not. He's very good at what he does, but he's not some prodigy on the edge. Honestly, I'd rather have Sweat than Burns. At least he can play run defense. 

• Beer 1
  • Flames 2

I don't think it's fair for anyone to say they know just how good Burns will be for the rest of his career. Some of the same things I've been reading about him were once said about Derrick Brown. The 2024 season was a culmination of how mediocre to flat out horrendous the Panthers have been going on 5 years now.

I must say it is amusing seeing some folks who have been vocal Bryce Young apologists even after his historically poor season saying another player is overvalued here.

If we're throwing players out for performances last season then we won't be able to field a team.

16 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yes, So if a team wants him it's either the 2 1sts deal or they have to negotiate a trade with Morgan

Gotcha thanks. Well we have a number of scenarios that could unfold over the next few months. 

14 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

He's our best edge rusher and didn't finish in the top 25 in NFL sacks this season. Pass rusher is his specialty. Jadaveon Clowney was on a 10m contract this season and finished with more sacks than Burns. He's not an elite edge. He's just not. He's very good at what he does, but he's not some prodigy on the edge. Honestly, I'd rather have Sweat than Burns. At least he can play run defense. 

Clowney was not even the number one guy. You should also be including pressures and win rate.

3 minutes ago, frankw said:

I don't think it's fair for anyone to say they know just how good Burns will be for the rest of his career. Some of the same things I've been reading about him were once said about Derrick Brown. The 2024 season was a culmination of how mediocre to flat out horrendous the Panthers have been going on 5 years now.

I must say it is amusing seeing some folks who have been vocal Bryce Young apologists even after his historically poor season saying another player is overvalued here.

If we're throwing players out for performances last season then we won't be able to field a team.

Brown has been showing consistent elite flashes against the best OL in the NFL since day 1 and exploded in this scheme. Burns has never done that. He's good, but they are not comparable 

Just now, KSpan said:

Brown has been showing consistent elite flashes against the best OL in the NFL since day 1 and exploded in this scheme. Burns has never done that. He's good, but they are not comparable 

People literally wanted Brown gone a few years ago lol

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, frankw said:

People literally wanted Brown gone a few years ago lol

People are dumb and reactionary, but Burns has been the exact same player since he came in. 5 years of the exact same film doesn't lie. Again, I'm not in the 'Burns sucks' camp, but rather the 'Burns isn't worth elite money' camp. He is clearly a quality player, just not a game-changer.

Edited by KSpan
  • Pie 3

I get he needs to improve in areas but he’s 25 years old crew…the only person in our history to have more sacks in the first 5 seasons was prime Peppers who had 6 more sacks. This is with Burns having a down rookie season and last year, along with us constantly playing from behind. I’m not saying he’s a hall of fame player at this point in his career, but you guys are being over the top calling him a part time player and horrific against the run. The rest of the league disagrees with you.

Tons of people ripped Peppers when he left and said he wasn’t good, same with CMC, and DJ Moore. It would be insane to not tag Burns and let him walk for nothing. 

Edited by WarPanthers89
  • Pie 1

Just now, KSpan said:

People are dumb and reactionary, but Burns has been the exact same player since he came in. 5 years of the exact same film doesn't lie.

I agree Burns has had underwhelming moments and if you go back and read the posts I've been critical of him often last season.

But that's my point. People have basically made up their minds  that at 25 years old in a dysfunctional organization that has the worst win percentage in all of professional sports the last few years that the lows are who he is and will always be at 25 years old. None of us can know that.

Just now, SmokinwithWilly said:

Maybe so, but he hasn't done it here. Paying him an elite level contract for what he might do somewhere else is foolish. 

I don't want to pay him 30 million i agree he does not command that value.

If we can reach a reasonable contract then keep him. If not you do what you have to.

All I'm saying is I've been a fan of this team for 2 decades. I know what is most likely going to happen if we trade him to a contender. It's just a Panthers tradition at this point.