• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would keeping Burns require another big D-line addition?

On 3/6/2024 at 11:35 AM, LinvilleGorge said:

And this is why Burns isn't worth the cap crippling contract that elite pass rushers demand.

He is a good player, and I pointed that out in another post.  Shedding some disinfectant on the theory that he cannot hold up against the run, comparing him to Charles Johnson and Peppers.  Now, understand that an OLB has slightly different responsibilities and opportunities than a 4-3 DE, so there is that.  Burns is no Crosby, Bosa, or Watt.  His salary should be lower than that.  As for the additional DL, I am of the opinion that we are going to have to see what YGM can bring-he has improved, and like Charles Johnson, Greg Hardy, and Mike Rucker, sometimes it takes a few years before you step up.  I am also high on Barno.  I have only Prayers for Johnson at this point.  My point--maybe someone will step up.  We cannot fix all problems.  If we trade Burns, we get cap space back but we have a huge need. 

So I dunno.  If he does not take the contract offer, shop him and take a 2025 first rounder and a third in 2024 if that is what it takes. 

No, he is not worth Bosa money or Watt money.  He should get maybe 75% of it.  I would use his comment against him during negotiations, however, asking his agent, "What if Bryan gets to year four of this year and decides he needs to protect himself for his third contract.  Can you tell me that he will not play safe then?  So why should we pay top dollar for a player who doesn't feel he is to give his all for every day of every contract he signs?"    I understand why he said it, but it was an ego comment, not a brain comment.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, jtm said:

He's the 4th best player (Brown, Luvu, Horn (when healthy) on the Panthers defense.  The fact he wants elite money is crazy.  

He is a ranks 11th overall as a pass rusher in the league. He's also the ONLY legit pass rusher on the team.  He's also a leader. 

Miss and moan about the economics of how players get paid in the NFL all you want to. He's still wanted and needed ob the team by upper management.  

How yall continue to dismiss him because he doesn't fit what we would all ideally want doesn't change any that I've shared. 

No it would not require another DL option because the Panthers aren't going to be very competitive this year and they know this. Right now, I think they are more concerned about measuring what they currently have against hungry guys and saving resources for next offseason. 

Anyone who thinks the Panthers are just "a few guys away" need to just take this season off before they are disappointed. There will be holes all over the roster. However I'm willing to bet despite the adversity, this new group and it's churn of competition will still win more than 2 games.

Edited by Leaky_Faucet
  • Pie 1

19 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

He is a ranks 11th overall as a pass rusher in the league. He's also the ONLY legit pass rusher on the team.  He's also a leader. 

Miss and moan about the economics of how players get paid in the NFL all you want to. He's still wanted and needed ob the team by upper management.  

How yall continue to dismiss him because he doesn't fit what we would all ideally want doesn't change any that I've shared. 

8 sacks and 50 tackles (solo and assisted) puts him as the 37th best rusher.  No way is this $30 million a year.  Your stats come from brianburns.com . . .ha ha just kidding.  

A guy taking plays off to avoid injury is not a "dawg" or a leader.  

Edited by jtm

19 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

Yeah I think it’s worth saying. 

There’s no ideal ratio of player per dollar, and ideally the team keeps its best players.,

Since we’ll stink this year maybe we just front load his cap hit lol. 

1 hour ago, jtm said:

8 sacks and 50 tackles (solo and assisted) puts him as the 37th best rusher.  No way is this $30 million a year.  Your stats come from brianburns.com . . .ha ha just kidding.  

A guy taking plays off to avoid injury is not a "dawg" or a leader.  

Tell that to Dan Morgan whom feels differently, and happens to be the man making the decision.  

On 3/8/2024 at 1:17 PM, pantherclaw said:

Tell that to Dan Morgan whom feels differently, and happens to be the man making the decision.  

This response didn't age well . . .haha. 

2 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

Dan didn't make the decision? I'm confused.  

Dan also was on record for his support for Burns. 

With that being said, it's water under the bridge.  

I just hope this is a lesson to them to not look a gift horse in the mouth so to speak. If they ever get an offer like that again to realize there's not a player on the team you pass that up for.

• Pie 3

2 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

I just hope this is a lesson to them to not look a gift horse in the mouth so to speak. If they ever get an offer like that again to realize there's not a player on the team you pass that up for.

For real, that made no sense. Belichek wasn’t great at drafting but he was always good about trading guys for firsts before they needed a big pay day 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

If they wanted to keep him, they should have gotten the deal done 2 years ago, would have saved money.  

I do agree, they have to have conviction in their decision and follow through, or move on. 

• Beer 1

On 3/8/2024 at 5:31 AM, pantherclaw said:

I was thinking that was one of his biggest weaknesses. I was disappointed to watch him work almost completely by himself during camp drills.