• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would keeping Burns require another big D-line addition?

21 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

With how bad this offense was at every single position last season, if they spend #33 on an edge I’m going to mint and pissing on the doormats.

BPA. It is a weak edge/DE class so unlikely that will happen unless we are just lightspeed stupid(possible)

• Pie 2

17 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

BPA. It is a weak edge/DE class so unlikely that will happen unless we are just lightspeed stupid(possible)

Is there a Michael Sam available? An edge rusher who lacks any NFL measurables but put up big college stats and won SEC DPOY? Sounds like a guy Tepper and crew would be all about at #33.

• Flames 1

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Is there a Michael Sam available? An edge rusher who lacks any NFL measurables but put up big college stats and won SEC DPOY? Sounds like a guy Tepper and crew would be all about at #33.

IDK they usually go for the big RAS score guys, until it came to selecting a QB, then we pick a guy with middle school level measurables. 

Edited by PootieNunu

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It will just be another FSU edge that lets us down. It's tradition.

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, Donald LaFell said:

Any pass rusher is going to benefit from a bookend, but Burns has never been one to fight through double teams or command triple teams. I could be full of crap there but AFAIK that’s the case. 

If you make a big investment in Burns do you now have to give him a FA or #33 pass rusher to keep him effective? 

The answer probably feels obvious to some but I just felt like throwing that out there. 

Burns was barely ever double teamed last year unless you count a rb or te chipping as well.   Brown ate up the double teams.  Also Burns was shut down 1v1 vs tight ends pretty regularly.  Most of his sacks seem to come when he came through literally untouched.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Tr3ach said:

Burns was barely ever double teamed last year unless you count a rb or te chipping as well.   Brown ate up the double teams.  Also Burns was shut down 1v1 vs tight ends pretty regularly.  Most of his sacks seem to come when he came through literally untouched.

He also faced backups more than a couple times. The phins game the guy didnt know he was starting until gameday, some 7th rounder...he may have been a UDFA. Mr pay me 30millper did NOTHING lined up across form him most of the game. 

Im shocked any smart teams values him in the 25mill per range. He should be thankful the panthers tagged him after that sorry-ass effort 2023 season. 

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I mean we used our CMC capital to trade up for DJ Johnson so anything is possible

• Beer 1

This premise that Burns doesn't fight through double team is a stretch.  

Regardless whether Burns is here or not, the Panthers need another quality consistent pass rusher on the other end of the line. Doesn't have to be elite, just above average,  consistent, and no quit. 

Every elite pass rusher in the history of the game benefited from having a bookend pass rusher. 

The team needs to stop signing these long in the tooth veteran pass rushers to pair with Burns. They need a guy who has energy and fight.   The defensive line isn't far from becoming a dominant one.  

• Pie 1

We got a couple of good seasons off of rental rushers in the past. Yes that was when we were contending which gets you the top guys usually, but I think with every position: they are all stopgaps. Except for the ones that aren’t.

Sign a guy a year if you want to until you get the chance to add the right player and check that spot off your list.

That would actually be the same approach I’d have at QB. Draft or sign UDFA or UFA, one a year. Hold an open competition every year until you don’t need to. Keep churning the bottom of the barrel and keep the backup slot competitive.