• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are we low-key tanking? Donnelly thinks we're half-tanking.

Just now, Jackie Lee said:

Or was just Fitt trying to buy a couple more years of employment before he goes back to being a scout

I think he was doing what his coach and owner wanted and wasn't good at the flawed approach 

7 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Taking it on the chin from a cap standpoint one year to get to the next, can be an element of tanking as well. Just saying. 

And then we have a bunch of money to overpay FA's that don't want to play here I guess. Or try to buy draft picks on some bad trades

• Pie 2

Just now, csx said:

I just don't see rebuilding as tanking being the same thing.  The good franchises aren't victims of draft position. They regularly draft at the end of the first and find good players. 

We need to hope we we can fill our roster with the types of players the Ravens, Chiefs, Bills, etc find. Because picking top 10 hasn't worked for us or the other bottom feeders. 

Teams perennially picking in the top 10 tend to make stupid moves on a regular basis. Since Tepper took over, we've taken making stupid moves to Jedi level. 

• Pie 4
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Jackie Lee said:

And then we have a bunch of money to overpay FA's that don't want to play here I guess. Or try to buy draft picks on some bad trades

I think that Canales can talk someone into coming here, especially if we show some improvement. If we overpay people to play here (beginning with 0), then for all his talk, Morgan is full o' sh¡t. We are not in a position to be overpaying for services. That's part of the reason we're in this mess. It's got to be a new day. If Morgan starts to run things like Rhule or Fitterer, we're fuged (and that was the greatest fear with the hiring of Morgan). I'm unwilling to accept that reality until it smacks me in the face.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I think that Canales can talk someone into coming here, especially if we show some improvement. If we overpay people to play here (beginning with 0), then for all his talk, Morgan is full o' sh¡t. We are not in a position to be overpaying for services. That's part of the reason we're in this mess. It's got to be a new day. If Morgan starts to run things like Rhule or Fitterer, we're fuged (and that was the greatest fear with the hiring of Morgan). I'm unwilling to accept that reality until it smacks me in the face.

We'll find out once FA starts

@csxhas basically said it but tanking and taking a long term approach are not the same thing.  My guess/ hope is that senseless free agent signings to squeeze out a 4th or 5th win are a thing of the past. 

3 year journey. I'm here for it. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, pantherclaw said:

I've listened to this guy I don't know how many times, and every time I'm left thinking this guy got some issues in his head. 

He's just a harsh realist, he actually tried to be optimistic with his Bryce-ometer and gave him credit for winning the Texans game or whatever game that was

2 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

He's just a harsh realist, he actually tried to be optimistic with his Bryce-ometer and gave him credit for winning the Texans game or whatever game that was

I'm not sure I agree with your perspective.   But kudos to him. 

Edited by pantherclaw

Every year we see teams that mad minimal, budget-style rebuilds that everyone assumes will have a horrible year end up being competitive and vie for playoff contention.  Usually it's due to the right combo of personnel evaluation, resource allocation, and an infusion of great coaching.  The team could look extremely modest in paper.  If we hit those 3 things, we could be that team next year, but it's clear we are going to rebuild this roster from the ground up and a lot of turnover should be anticipated...  that doesn't mean a rebuild or tank.  But again, the hope is that we see success/improvement in the areas I mentioned because that's what we have been missing since Tepper got here.

If we lose again next year, it's not going to be on purpose.  It will be because Tepper fuged up with hires again snd is likely meddling still. 

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, top dawg said:

If Morgan pulls the equivalent of signing Cam Erving and Pat Elflein day 1 of FA at least we know we're already screwed and will have to wait another couple more years to start another rebuild lol

• Beer 2

53 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Interesting theory, maybe with some elements of truth.

Do y'all think that the FO is accepting our fate for 2024---taking the maximum direct impacts to the cap---in order to really begin the resurrection process in earnest for 2025?

As an aside (I said something similar last year) some of you better roll back your expectations for your own sanity. The coming season is not looking good. In some ways, it may be worse than the last. I hope not. But if Burns ultimately plays on the tag and we don't have any money and possess as little picks as we do, no one should expect much. We're going to have to take joy in baby steps and falling down, trying to get up and falling down. I mean we're going to need magic and miracles to even fool ourselves this year. 

If Tim Donnelly's theory is right, then perhaps we'll see an offense that takes baby steps forward, even if it is at the expense of the defense. I wonder what Evero will think.

Who is this clown 

• Pie 1