• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers not expected to tender Smith-Marsette

Just imagine how bad you have to be in practice to not earn more of a role in last years offense as the only guy on the whole unit with any sort of speed. And while he had a couple nice punt returns, there were so many that I just had to close my eyes because he fielded a punt he should have fair caught and got blasted as the ball hit his hands.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Pretty good isn't good enough. Aim higher. 

I'm not really trying to be an asshole, but I think more than a few Huddlers should follow this advice.

27 minutes ago, rayzor said:

not sure why we wouldn't. it's not like he breaks the bank and he gives us a respectable returner.

only thing i can think of is that they are counting on one or two of the WRs we draft carrying on in that role as well. 

Probably has something to do with the almost 3 mil that we'd owe him.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/what-is-an-nfl-restricted-free-agent-how-do-they-affect-free-agency/

yeah, I want a brand new WR corp.   It's not happen, but we can't keep bringing back everyone. 

Mingo is going to be here. 

Slow can't run Theilen is going to be here. 

Now going to add this dude? 

Pretty soon it's just going to be the exact same group....plus a rookie. 

47 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

Just imagine how bad you have to be in practice to not earn more of a role in last years offense as the only guy on the whole unit with any sort of speed. And while he had a couple nice punt returns, there were so many that I just had to close my eyes because he fielded a punt he should have fair caught and got blasted as the ball hit his hands.

I think that was really just bad coaches that can't manage a roster.  ISM called our OC on that bologna too. 

• Pie 1

I don't really get this. He was one of the only guys that seemed to give a fug. Now the Panthers have yet another roster hole and have to find a new returner.

It's easy to think about primary returners as easily replaceable, but I've seen one too many times over the years the Panthers trot out JAGs that end up being a net-negative in the return game. Yeah, you can find a returner at the end of the draft, but it's still a draft pick used, and as the Panthers have shown time and time again it's not a guaranteed position to draft.

My growing sentiment is that next year, without major hits in free agency and the draft, is going to be one of the least competitive Panthers teams assembled. It just feels like this team is on the Browns franchise trajectory.

29 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

I don't really get this. He was one of the only guys that seemed to give a fug. Now the Panthers have yet another roster hole and have to find a new returner.

It's easy to think about primary returners as easily replaceable, but I've seen one too many times over the years the Panthers trot out JAGs that end up being a net-negative in the return game. Yeah, you can find a returner at the end of the draft, but it's still a draft pick used, and as the Panthers have shown time and time again it's not a guaranteed position to draft.

My growing sentiment is that next year, without major hits in free agency and the draft, is going to be one of the least competitive Panthers teams assembled. It just feels like this team is on the Browns franchise trajectory.

Sorry, 3 mil is rich for Smith-Marsette. Plus, there's still a chance that we bring him back. I fully expect us to draft a couple of receivers in the draft, and possibly even a RB. Some of these day 2 guys have experience returning kicks. Keep in mind that Smith-Marsette wasn't drafted until the 5th round. Dude has been on 3 rosters so far, and that doesn't even include KC.