• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What will Dionte Johnson’s attitude be on the Panthers?

hepcat

I’ve been looking at the Steelers fan sentiment since they traded him to the Panthers and by and large they seem to agree this was a punishment trade. Johnson complained he wasn’t getting the ball enough last season and openly quit on plays. 

https://x.com/prosportsgoats/status/1728865242137198767?s=46&t=04sKNnhiiGcTDblLYKGiJQ

He also got into several locker room arguments and fights with his teammates. 

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10098744-diontae-johnson-talks-viral-video-of-steelers-fumble-rumors-of-locker-room-argument.amp.html

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/02/diontae-johnson-denies-allegation-he-punched-mitch-trubisky-before-jets-game/

So if he had issues on a team like the Steelers with a lot of veteran leaders and established head coach, what kind of attitude will he have with a young rookie head coach and GM? He’s a top 5 route runner from everything I’ve seen of him on the field, but off the field he could be a locker room cancer if things don’t go well. Not sure how excited he is to be on the Panthers to begin with. 

2 minutes ago, hepcat said:

I’ve been looking at the Steelers fan sentiment since they traded him to the Panthers and by and large they seem to agree this was a punishment trade. Johnson complained he wasn’t getting the ball enough last season and openly quit on plays. 

https://x.com/prosportsgoats/status/1728865242137198767?s=46&t=04sKNnhiiGcTDblLYKGiJQ

He also got into several locker room arguments and fights with his teammates. 

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10098744-diontae-johnson-talks-viral-video-of-steelers-fumble-rumors-of-locker-room-argument.amp.html

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/02/diontae-johnson-denies-allegation-he-punched-mitch-trubisky-before-jets-game/

So if he had issues on a team like the Steelers with a lot of veteran leaders and established head coach, what kind of attitude will he have with a young rookie head coach and GM? He’s a top 5 route runner from everything I’ve seen of him on the field, but off the field he could be a locker room cancer if things don’t go well. Not sure how excited he is to be on the Panthers to begin with. 

he's in danger of playing himself out of a lot of money, i'd imagine he plays it tight as long as he gets targets, which he will, since we dont have many weapons. 

• Beer 1

I think he wants the ball.  And unlike Pitt who had an emerging Pickens (that times up with his unhappiness)....he will be far and away the best WR rostered here.  So we should give him the ball. 

I do not see him being a happy camper not getting the ball a lot.  He is playing for a new deal/team in reality this year. 

• Pie 1

I think it's about the talent around him. QBs have not been good and their OC was terrible. They run a ton and with Pickens, he clearly was losing his WR1 spot. 

FWIW, Pickens would say poo about how their offense sucked and would act out every week they didn't win, sometimes even when they did. I think few players on the Steelers O have been happy with the plays/production. I don't think he was complaining when he was balling with Big Ben.

He's basically the WR1 here now and his skill set will be perfect for tons of targets from Bryce, so he should be well fed and happy. 

• Pie 2

We once had a WR who most regard as the best in Panthers history who got in a couple training camp fights. Not saying that’s acceptable behavior but I want a WR who makes it known he wants the ball. WR room can use some of that fire.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, emcannon said:

We once had a WR who most regard as the best in Panthers history who got in a couple training camp fights. Not saying that’s acceptable behavior but I want a WR who makes it known he wants the ball. WR room can use some of that fire.

that's also a different era.  lot of that the team greatly disliked 89 and we had the leadership to deal largely with the headache.  

I think in addition to a lack of dawgs....we have a lack of leadership.  Morgan is going to have to solve that part of the puzzle too. 

• Pie 1

Question(s) guys.

If Johnson comes in do you think he immediately becomes our #1?

Does this effectively make Theilan our slot WR (#2 or #3)?

What role does Mingo play?

Do we still make drafting a WR our top priority in round 2? Or do we focus on another need like DB, LB, C, S, DL, or TE?

2 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

Question(s) guys.

Do we still make drafting a WR our top priority in round 2? Or do we focus on another need like DB, LB, C, S, DL, or TE?

They will most likely still draft one in round 2 with how deep the draft is at WR. You can get what would ordinarily be a 1st round talent in the 2nd round this year. Also worth factoring in that Johnson is only contracted for 1 year and they might cut Thielen next year, so drafting a WR now will leave us better prepared in 2025.

7 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

Question(s) guys.

Johnson is 100% by far the best WR.  He is WR #1. 

Theilen already is our slot WR.   We made that our #1 WR spot in our bad O last year.  He shouldn't be.  Theilen should be our #4 Rickly Proehl off the bench for big pass downs.  

Mingo should be trying to develop into reliable enough to work the slot where Theilen was.  

My dream would be Johnson as the # 1 , draft a Leggette or someone to play opposite of Johnson on the outside.  Mingo working the slot.  Theilen comes in on big downs or big pass downs looks like a Proehl.  I mean, he has hands.  That's basically all he has.    

* Raiders cut Renfrow.  Sign him for cheap and let him teach Mingo how to play the slot.    I mean, if you value true slot play, Renfrow does it as good as anyone.  Let him take up a TMJ/ISM roster spot. 

• Pie 2