• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Luke Combs shots fired

1 hour ago, MasterAwesome said:

I mean…it’s perfectly understandable to be skeptical and temper expectations. But you’re telling me we hire Canales (whose an offensive guy and known to have helped develop Geno and Baker into respectable starting QBs), we spend big on two solid guards on Day 1 of FA, we trade for a talented potential #1 WR on Day 2 of FA, and you say “if there’s some big plan I certainly don’t understand it”? Really? Either he’s being purposefully obtuse or he’s a bit clueless. It doesn’t take a genius to see what the plan is. Whether the plan actually works out or not, that’s TBD.

Absolutely. I'm skeptical as hell about any and everything Tepper touches at this point so am almost entirely apathetic toward Canales and the FO, but it's pretty clear what they're trying to accomplish on offense, which is just to have some semblance of an NFL-level one at all. 

Edited by KSpan

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, I don't know what the plan has really been any season post Ron/Cam.  Carolina says all sorts of nonsense.  It hasn't been matching up.   So I'm not sure you can expect people to take some offseason talk as some real vision plan at this stage given what these folks have been doing. 

Where in my post did I mention or even allude to anything anyone *said*?  I'm very clearly talking about the actions the team has taken in the offseason.  The Canales hiring and the big offensive FA acquisitions.

1 hour ago, KSpan said:

Who is Luke Combs and why would anyone care what he has to say?

I'm not sure why anyone cares what anyone says on social media.  Humans never cease to amaze me by how dumb they can be when it comes to seeking validation from total strangers on the internet. Why? 

• Beer 1

14 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I'm not sure why anyone cares what anyone says on social media.  Humans never cease to amaze me by how dumb they can be when it comes to seeking validation from total strangers on the internet. Why? 

Perceived importance of self is more gratifying than actual importance. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, MasterAwesome said:

Where in my post did I mention or even allude to anything anyone *said*?  I'm very clearly talking about the actions the team has taken in the offseason.  The Canales hiring and the big offensive FA acquisitions.

Last offseason folks were claiming the actions….created the best roster since who knows when and were making all sorts of 2011 and 2003 comparisons.   Miles Sanders was Mr. Everything and all sorts of stuff.  I didn’t buy it then..  Not buying anything I’m seeing now yet.   Let’s see how the rest of the offseason goes.  

Actions? We are the worst professional sports team in America.  Every year is a new sales job ending in the same results. 

do I know what we are doing? Nope.  I know we spent the farm on an anomaly of a QB.   And I have no idea if we have the coaches or talent to make that work.  If the Panthers want to change the narrative many have….it can only be done on Sundays.  

Canales talks about running the ball.  That doesn’t make me feel good when it is supposed to be about developing the anomaly #1 overall QB.  Tampa sucked at running under Canales.  People say he inherited the worst run game.  They omit Brady had the #2 and #1 pass offense in the NFL prior, which would naturally limit the run to an extent.  They were intentionally a Brady pass O. 

• Beer 1

21 minutes ago, CRA said:

Last offseason folks were claiming the actions….created the best roster since who knows when and were making all sorts of 2011 and 2003 comparisons.   

Actions? We are the worst professional sports team in America.  Every year is a new sales job ending in the same results. 

do I know what we are doing? Nope.  I know we spent the farm on an anomaly of a QB.   And I have no idea if we have the coaches or talent to make that work.  If the Panthers want to change the narrative many have….it can only be done on Sundays.  

You do understand that a *PLAN* is detached from a particular outcome, right?  If I *plan* to become a multi-billionaire by age 30 but I fall short, that doesn't mean I didn't have a plan.  It means that my plan failed.  So I don't know why you keep pointing to our failures as proof that we have never had a plan.  I have no idea if we have the coaches or talent to make things work either, that's why I said the success of our plan is TBD.  But the plan is clear to me: focus on fixing the offense and evaluating/developing Bryce Young in the process.  All the major offseason acquisitions point towards that being our plan.  Do you disagree?

Edited by MasterAwesome
  • Pie 2

12 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

You do understand that a *PLAN* is detached from a particular outcome, right?  If I *plan* to become a multi-billionaire by age 30 but I fall short, that doesn't mean I didn't have a plan.  It means that my plan failed.  So I don't know why you keep pointing to our failures as proof that we have never had a plan.  I have no idea if we have the coaches or talent to make things work either, that's why I said the success of our plan is TBD.  But the plan is clear to me: focus on fixing the offense and evaluating/developing Bryce Young in the process.  All the major offseason acquisitions point towards that being our plan.  Do you disagree?

Again, you’re mad because someone said they don’t understand what the plan is.   That seems like a fine statement given it’s the Carolina Panthers.  

you could say the same thing last year.   Plan was to fix the O.   I didn’t understand what and why they were doing what they did then though

We got a brand new OC.  A one year OC first time HC who is calling plays and only called them one year for a meh offense built on vets.  Tepper is Tepper.  Lot of old faces from Morgan to Caldwell in house.   What’s the plan for Bryce? Put him under C and run the ball like Wilks? A Miles/Hubbard O?  Play action to Johnson? I don’t know what the plan is.  That sounds like a bad one given Bryce is Bryce and what he supposed to be for us.  

I got no issue with someone not getting it.  I’m glad you get it.  Hopefully you are right.   But I think not getting what we are doing is a fine take. 

1 minute ago, CRA said:

Again, you’re mad because someone said they don’t understand what the plan is.   That seems like a fine statement given it’s the Carolina Panthers.  

you could say the same thing last year.   Plan was to fix the O.   I didn’t understand what and why they were doing what they did then though

Yeah I feel like it's totally acceptable to question gutting the defense and then focusing on the run game when you're going to be playing from behind frequently. It seems like the plan is to make Bryce look good by keep the ball out of his hands but as soon as this D gives up a couple scores that plan is out the window and he's gotta start slinging

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

I mean…it’s perfectly understandable to be skeptical and temper expectations. But you’re telling me we hire Canales (whose an offensive guy and known to have helped develop Geno and Baker into respectable starting QBs), we spend big on two solid guards on Day 1 of FA, we trade for a talented potential #1 WR on Day 2 of FA, and you say “if there’s some big plan I certainly don’t understand it”? Really? Either he’s being purposefully obtuse or he’s a bit clueless. It doesn’t take a genius to see what the plan is. Whether the plan actually works out or not, that’s TBD.

Yeah it's not hard to figure out the plan.  Allocate resources from the defense to the offense, cut overpaid underperforming vets, and attempt to get younger on the roster.  Most of our signed players are in the mid 20s with the exception of Jewell (29 or 30 can't remember).  We cut Hurst, Bell, and Bozeman who were all 30 or about to turn 30 and overpaid. We weren't paying Burns because we needed that money allocated across several positions.  Another important thing I noticed is Dan refusing to lose any draft picks.  Even that 6th rounder for Johnson he made sure he got a 7th in return (goes with the youth movement).  

• Beer 1

18 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah it's not hard to figure out the plan.  Allocate resources from the defense to the offense, cut overpaid underperforming vets, and attempt to get younger on the roster.  Most of our signed players are in the mid 20s with the exception of Jewell (29 or 30 can't remember).  We cut Hurst, Bell, and Bozeman who were all 30 or about to turn 30 and overpaid. We weren't paying Burns because we needed that money allocated across several positions.  Another important thing I noticed is Dan refusing to lose any draft picks.  Even that 6th rounder for Johnson he made sure he got a 7th in return (goes with the youth movement).  

I guess I use and view the language different. Take last year.  Easier example. 

I understood the company line/plan

I didn’t understand what they were actually doing though in reality.  It didn’t seem like a plan that was well thought out and would  work.  So I didn’t get the plan. 

I largely feel the same.  I get the official vague plan. I don’t see or know the actual vision/plans.  They have not stated a plan where I then go….yeah, that should work and is a good vision/direction.  

all I have heard is run the ball and make Bryce 1 of 11.  Just generic stuff. Nothing they have done makes me “get it” and understand an actual vision. 

either we are all on Bryce or we aren’t.  And I’m not sure I get what we are doing on that.   Straddling the fence? I don’t know.  So I got no problem with a local celebrity not getting it.