• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is the OL Set with 8 Players?

MHS831

5 minutes ago, rayzor said:

yeah i'm not happy with it. can't imagine that they are settled on it as well. 

i'm thinking it's probably likely that one of the first 2 picks will be a center because i don't think there's much in the way of FA OCs out there and they are probably going to want someone who could at least compete for the starting job.

I take it the most pressing needs are a true center, another edge rusher with some potential to get to the QB? I know WR and TE would be nice as well but I don't see many TE's worth it so probably just WR.  Maybe another CB too? 

Center with first pick, WR with second 2nd rounder and edge rusher in third?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I don’t think there is any chance we will carry only 8 OL. That's one position that racks up the most injuries.

If we did, I would have a few on the PS.  The chart provided makes me feel better because it demonstrates how we could sustain a few injuries and still have a quality OL.  If a G goes out, we have BC to step in.  A T? We now have Nijman.  If Nijman goes down, we can move BC over and replace him with Mays.  Heck, if we lost a T and G, we'd be better off than our starting OL last year.  But yeah, we tend to get injured a lot up front, so I would definitely have some depth on the PS.

Heck, I could even see a scenario wherein a G goes down and the move Ickey inside, replacing him with Nijman and BC.  We have a lot of options.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1

2 hours ago, Panfan35 said:

What could be in the cards is trading our 2 2nd round picks up to 21 and get a elite center in powers

Not a fan of trading up....but if powers drops to one of our picks i think it would be hard to pass up. 

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Ricky Prickles said:

Center with first pick, WR with second 2nd rounder and edge rusher in third?

honestly i don't know.... i was looking at us using the first 3 picks on WR, Edge, and OC. When you do that you're left with some not great choices at CB. Might have to roll with CB with the 2nd pick if we want to get a solid one. still likely to have some good options available to help out at EDGE. Getting Clowney would for sure help take some of the pressure off, but if we went with WR/CB/OC in the first three we might be able to get things filled out nicely. for example:

image.png.a0603389920bb4a1fe2bfedcf31f41b9.png

• Beer 1

If you look beyond this year, Corbett is done and releasing Moton would free $17m in cap.  That's a big number.

I think the plan is for Christiansen and Nijman to compete for RT next year.

If Power-Johnson falls to 33, I suspect that will be the pick.  Otherwise I think they will wait until the top of the 4th and go with best available C to sit and learn for a year. 

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

honestly i don't know.... i was looking at us using the first 3 picks on WR, Edge, and OC. When you do that you're left with some not great choices at CB. Might have to roll with CB with the 2nd pick if we want to get a solid one. still likely to have some good options available to help out at EDGE. Getting Clowney would for sure help take some of the pressure off, but if we went with WR/CB/OC in the first three we might be able to get things filled out nicely. for example:

image.png.a0603389920bb4a1fe2bfedcf31f41b9.png

I feel similarly as well. Would definitely like to see us go WR, edge and OC too. I also saw the name Marshawn Lloyd on the list. That guy is pretty talented and I think could be a diamond in the rough for sure at RB if we went that way as well later in the draft.

Carry those 8 on the roster.  After last season you can stash Jensen and Zalavia on the practice squad to develop and get called up at a moments notice.   Heck if we did draft a rookie we could easily put Mays down on the PS as well and not really worry about losing him unless he wants to go somewhere else.

2 hours ago, rayzor said:

yeah i'm not happy with it. can't imagine that they are settled on it as well. 

i'm thinking it's probably likely that one of the first 2 picks will be a center because i don't think there's much in the way of FA OCs out there and they are probably going to want someone who could at least compete for the starting job.

We haven’t met with a single center prospect. I would feel better if we brought a couple in for draft evaluations. 

2 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Not a fan of trading up....but if powers drops to one of our picks i think it would be hard to pass up. 

Trading up has been a disaster for this franchise. I’m with you, if he drops to us then pick him.