• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PRIORITIZED Needs as of 3/28/2024

MHS831

thanks for doing all that.

I would like for us to draft a center. either one that can start early (mainly because corbett is just an unknown commodity there and he's had some injury issues) or one that can sit behind and learn and then take over. preferably the former.

i agree taking a couple WRs and a CB are things that we have to do. Also picking up some ILB help is a bog thing to be looking at as well and there are some good options there. 

and yes, TE...we need some big time help there. there's a good few available in this draft that would be an upgrade for us. jared wiley would be great but there are a few that we would really benefit from drafting.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

20 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

The question I had to ask: Is C depth more important than ILB or CB depth?  Realistically, you cannot expect any draft to address more than 3 needs, but I included 4.  I agree with you, however.

Be careful, I was told yesterday that our defense was solid. While signing Clowney helped that, I still agree that CB, and ILB are big needs and day 1 starters can be found at 33, 39, and 65. The same can be said for C and WR (deep draft). I would love for those 4 positions to be addressed with our first 4 picks. I have a feeling that if the right ILB is there, Morgan will have a hard time passing on him.

• Pie 1

I’m at a big loss trying to picture much, having seen Young’s mechanics + lack of playing under center and picturing how a running game with him in the middle of it but not a running QB is gonna look. I don’t feel that Chuba is at all enough. 

At the same time you’d think that running behind LT and LG would be a piece of cake and make him or another back a lot more productive, where you don’t need a top shelf RB.

\Priority wise though, don’t leave the OL undone after doing so much. You have to finish it off with a C.

Edited by strato
  • Pie 1

I really think the Panthers should consider adding a RB in the draft.  Maybe not with one of our 2nd round picks, but adding someone with more burst and receiving ability than what we have on the roster (Hubbard & Sanders) could do a lot for Bryce's development and Canales offense which had White finish with over 300 touches.  And who knows, maybe we will get lucky and snag one of those late-round RBs who turns out to be a stud from day one.  

• Pie 3

33 minutes ago, rayzor said:

thanks for doing all that.

I would like for us to draft a center. either one that can start early (mainly because corbett is just an unknown commodity there and he's had some injury issues) or one that can sit behind and learn and then take over. preferably the former.

i agree taking a couple WRs and a CB are things that we have to do. Also picking up some ILB help is a bog thing to be looking at as well and there are some good options there. 

and yes, TE...we need some big time help there. there's a good few available in this draft that would be an upgrade for us. jared wiley would be great but there are a few that we would really benefit from drafting.

At 33 and 39, we'd be drafting the 4th or 5th best WR or CB or the top 1-2 C, ILB, or TE. What I'd like to see is someone that will be an impactful starter day 1. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Draft an OL every year, doesn't matter what position, doesn't matter what round, there is so much churn on the line that you need the depth and there's the chance they might turn into a stud eventually.

Doesn't look like Zavala will be any good, but I don't hate the pick even if he doesn't work out. Throw enough poo at the wall something will eventually stick.

WR, CB, and DE are still my top needs/wants with TE and HB being on the same level of need for me as well.

• Pie 1

we need a WR (thielan and DJ are likely gone after 24), C (corbett is a total wild card and will be gone in 25 regardless), DE (may totally implode), CB (our only real threat cant stay healthy to this point), and LB (need a third to rotate in and eventually push shaq out the door) in that order.

the first three will play significant minutes the fourth hopefully can play a lot of minutes, hopefully not because of an injury to Horn. 

LB really will be a depth piece at this point but a position we have to prioritize in the 25 draft, along with a real TE threat and need to hit CB again. 

Edited by Panthero
  • Pie 1

Other teams have played Corbett at center and quickly moved him to guard. The Panthers need to heed that lesson and move him to backup guard and draft a starting caliber center because they don't have one.

TE should be moved up the list of needs as well. The Panthers don't have a starting caliber TE on the roster either.

CB is another fairly large need since the team cannot depend on Horn to play.

And yeah, they need to add another WR or two, preferably one that is a returner. They haven't drafted one of those since Smith.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

52 minutes ago, strato said:

I’m at a big loss trying to picture much, having seen Young’s mechanics + lack of playing under center and picturing how a running game with him in the middle of it but not a running QB is gonna look. I don’t feel that Chuba is at all enough. 

At the same time you’d think that running behind LT and LG would be a piece of cake and make him or another back a lot more productive, where you don’t need a top shelf RB.

\Priority wise though, don’t leave the OL undone after doing so much. You have to finish it off with a C.

I think the 4th round is where you should target RBs.  You aren't going to find a CMC but that's where you build your RB committee.  Dudes drafted in the 4th round were 2nd round talent in prior eras.  Get a pass catching RB in this draft that can pass block. 

• Pie 1

Its set up nicely for the draft at this point

- Outside WR - Johnson has a ton of snaps at the X and can play all over.  Theilen is relegated to the slot for the most part nowadays.  Last 2 coaching staffs drafted power slots and tried to move them to the X so just target an outside WR this time.

- EDGE2 - Expecting either Wonnum or Johnson to fill that EDGE2 role is a tough sell and a high draft pick here would solidify either EDGE2 or EDGE3 this year and even though Clowney is EDGE1 this year you have a chance to develop that player to move up the depth chart.  With the length of the contracts of the players and the fact we just reset the position here this will be a perennial need right now.

- CB2 - Same deal banking on Dane Jackson to fill that role. CBs get banged up at a high clip too, so competition for that spot is likely needed. Probably why we're talking to Gilmore already.

- C2 - Line looks fine with depth all around except for at Center.  Corbett had an unlucky year of injuries but its a rough sport and an injury or two to a guard could prompt Corbett to slide back out too.  He's also on the last year of his deal so resetting the position with a high pick and setting it up for the future would be smart.

- ILB3 - Depth is weak here and Thompson is in the last year of his contract so draft and start developing.

- RB3 - Hubbard is in a contract year, Sanders contract is going to make him expendable next season.  The position is going to need an overhaul.

- TE2 - Tremble looks like he is up to TE1 now but if you're looking for more in the passing game out of the position an upgrade has to be made.

Without projecting draft trades it would be ideal if we came out of the first two days of the draft with a WR, C and EDGE

• Pie 1

I am fairly confused on the "Johnson in his last years comment" in the initial post....he should have a good 3-5 more years left most of which should still be fairly peak.  But I also am fine with WR being top priority.  Personally I think our current priorities should be CB, WR, C, OT, DE, LB - the crazy thing there though is I think C, OT, DE, and LB are all about even so you can mix them around however you want.  CB and WR are very thin talent wise for us by far over the other positions considering injury history/age.  I would be happy if our 2nd round picks included a small trade back and picking up WR and CB at this point....but again I'm not mad at BPA for those other 4 positions if a diamond is available.  

Edited by Stingray3030

3 minutes ago, Stingray3030 said:

I am fairly confused on the "Johnson in his last years comment" in the initial post....he should have a god 3-5 more years left most of which should still be fairly peak.  But I also am fine with WR being top priority.  Personally I think our current priorities should be CB, WR, C, OT, DE, LB - the crazy thing there though is I think C, OT, DE, and LB are all about even so you can mix them around however you want.  CB and WR are very thin talent wise for us by far over the other positions considering injury history/age.  I would be happy if our 2nd round picks included a small trade back and picking up WR and CB at this point....but again I'm not mad at BPA for those other 4 positions if a diamond is available.  

worded poorly.  But I take it as last/final year as a Panther.  Theilen is most likely done here after this year.  Johnson most likely is just a one year rental if playing the odds. 

then it goes into big picture, and really that is just Mingo that projects out long term.  ISM I guess.