• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Highest Roster Turnover in the NFL

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Feels like a bit of a false premise to me.

Yeah, good teams are generally going to be made up of better players and those teams are going to seek to retain as many of those good players as they can. Bad teams are generally going to be made up of lesser players and those teams are going to seek to replace as many of those lesser players as they can. 

It all starts with acquiring the right talent IMO. Talent retention is a follow up step to that initial step.

Then you have our constant coach/regime changes and the inherent different roster preferences that's going to bring with it.

Long story short, were a poo show of an organization and we display all the qualities you'd expect to see from a poo show organization.

Didn't he basically just say what you said minus the gratuitous negativity at the end? 

• Pie 1

We've been in a bad cycle, for sure---a vortex of suck. But there are signs that it will finally break apart. Cheers to distancing ourselves from yesterday's issues in 2024 and changing the narrative by 2025.

• Beer 1

I mean, it will likely be a failure in 2024 but you have to do something. We had the least talented roster in the NFL. Which, TBH, it is still probably the least talented but at least we tried to do something, for better or for worse.

I would say our 2024 ceiling is probably 4-5 wins but you have to hope at the end of that there are at least glimpses of some sort of plan on the field. That's something we are several years removed from seeing.

I dunno.  I look for growth and leadership when it gets tough, and I did not see much of either.  When a man wearing a C on his jersey decides to play soft to save himself from injury, you have to wonder how it impacted the rest of the team.  I actually saw degression on the OL, and the constant position and personnel changes meant to me that they had no plan.  Campen should have known who was ready and who was not, instead, we relied on suckage seen on game film.  It was terrible. 

4 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D. said:

There tends to be a strong correlation between roster retention and success in the NFL. There are many reasons for this correlation. Teams with above average players tend to hold on to those players, and consistency and familiarity go a long way towards improved performance. Most research done on roster retention/turnover look at the entire 53 man roster. Higher rates of roster retention are around 80%, while the lowest rates are around 40%. 

The Carolina Panthers are on their way to having one of the highest roster turnover rates in the past 5 years. Following the draft, where the Panthers have 6 picks in the top 5 rounds, it is expected that the Panthers may have an overall roster retention percentage in the 30's. 

On Offense, the Panthers are looking at possible new starters at 3 of 5 offensive line positions (LG, C, and RG), and 2 of 3 starting WRs. Possible additions at TE or RB in the draft may increase this turnover. This does not even account for an entirely new offensive scheme installed by a new HC and Offensive Coordinator. 

On Defense, the Panthers are looking at a new starters at  3 of 4 Linebacker positions, a new DE, a new FS, and at minimum one new CB starter. Again, these numbers are likely to increase following the draft. 

The biggest takeaway from this, IMO is that history is not on the Panthers side for a successful 2024 campaign. Bare minimum 9 out of 22 starting players will be different from the 2023 squad.  However, when you win 2 games in the season, sitting back and expecting different results from the same process is lunacy. With every new player and scheme there is an inherent risk or gamble.  We have rolled the dice an extremely large number of times. If by chance, these gambles pay off, we will have a chance to compete. However, there is an extremely high variability rate in our chance for success, higher than most teams in the NFL, which is, at a bare minimum, a cause for optimism. 

This has been a war of attrition between a carpet-bagged Pittsburgh hedge fund billionaire and professional football in the Carolinas. And it's the fans who have lost the most. 

We have gotten worse and worse and worse since the team was sold to that semi-bald, numbers massager and his trophy wife. 

And now we're all hoping that Meathead Morgan has somehow come around to become the savior of the organization. The guy who was the right hand man of the worst GM in the organization's history... and that's saying something.

I hope, I hope, I hope that it will all miraculously come back around like it did at times in the past under the prior ownership. We had a few tragically bad years back then, and a few that we weren't competitive in, but since Tepid took over, that's all we've had.

This is a roster that breeds and needs turnover, but until there's turnover at the very top, we probably will be stuck like this. 

• Pie 1

Why are yall so dang negative all the time?! Geez!!!

This was a horrible TEAM last year with some obvious areas of EXTREME weakness. All Morgan did was go out and address those areas a lot better than most would have thought possible. Especially since no good free agents would want to come to Carolina - at least that's what I was told before free agency began. 

And the defense is better with the additions than it would be if they had tried to keep Burns. That is a definite. Relax. They'll be good enough next year to evaluate Bryce. If he's the guy, anything's possible. If he isn't, they'll still win more games than last year but they'll be in position to get a new QB when he becomes available. 

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I gotta admit, it's kinda entertaining having a personal lapdog that follows me around the board.

Don't flatter yourself. I go through the threads just like you do and comment on things that I find interesting. It appeared to me that you said basically the same thing that he did is all. Don't be a jerk. It's really not befitting of a mod.

As a matter of fact, just tell me if you want me to block you, and that'll be fine.

Edited by top dawg

42 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Don't flatter yourself. I go through the threads just like you do and comment on things that I find interesting. It appeared to me that you said basically the same thing that he did is all. Don't be a jerk. It's really not befitting of a mod.

As a matter of fact, just tell me if you want me to block you, and that'll be fine.

I don't care if you block me or not. That's for you to decide. But I'm gonna continue to mock you for following me around like a lap dog so take that into consideration for your decision. LOL

18 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't care if you block me or not. That's for you to decide. But I'm gonna continue to mock you for following me around like a lap dog so take that into consideration for your decision. LOL

OK, in order to not be accused of being a lap dog, I'll gladly block your ass. There are plenty of posters, even ones that I disagree with, that are more interesting than you.

The turnover was obviously necessary.  Clean house and start over. 

What I think is being overlooked is this is Morgan and Canales team. It's not like we acquired all these players with the same coaching staff and philosophy.  

Canales and his staff (minus Evero) will come in knowing just as much about the new players as they would have with the old. There will be an adjustment as they get to know them but because they are bringing in a lot of new (hopefully DAWG type) talent that will come together faster.

Offensively our interior line should give our QB more time to throw the ball to better receivers.

Defensively we added several new pieces but a few of them have played for Evero before.  That's will help the learning curve. 

I think in the end it will come down to not who we acquired but how they mesh together with our staff.

• Pie 1