• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Donnelly on Hayden Hurst and a comment he made about the Panthers

On 4/4/2024 at 7:21 AM, top dawg said:

Well...we certainly know where you both stand. 

Canales is saying the right things, I'll give him that. I'm not prepared to say he's a great hire yet, but I certainly can't fathom why anyone would say he was a bad hire without really having ANY type of evidence to support that assertion (and I'd ask for enlightenment, but I don't feel that it would be well-supported).

He was the man that took the job, so I think we gotta kinda let things play out before we crown him or decapitate him by the guillotine. 

I think that he's kinda tied to Morgan, and today that's a good thing from where I'm sitting. I hope that it continues to be. 

Agreed. The vast majority of NFL hires don't work out, but we have no reason to think negatively of this hire at this point.  

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Agreed. The vast majority of NFL hires don't work out, but we have no reason to think negatively of this hire at this point.  

Canales actually says things that technically made sense

Young certainly understands the expectations 

2.7 seconds is a clear, enforceable measurement

Edited by raleigh-panther

1 hour ago, Davidson Deac II said:

On the flipside there hasn't been any reason to think positively about him either. He's got to prove himself as a headcoach before you can form an opinion one way or the other. Currently I'm neutral on him and his staff. I will form an opinion around the end of this season.

• Pie 2

I think they topok the 'get the guy a year or two too early if you have to' approach. Via necessity.

He fits what they were valuing: QB fixer, young up and coming offensive coach. I thionk it was actually a hire with some hope on the back end if this QB doesn’t improve his performance, there will be a guy here already with a culture in place that can do work with talent. 

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

On the flipside there hasn't been any reason to think positively about him either. He's got to prove himself as a headcoach before you can form an opinion one way or the other. Currently I'm neutral on him and his staff. I will form an opinion around the end of this season.

Fwiw, I agree.  But that would be true of anyone we hire, no exceptions.  

• Beer 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hurst is also an example of why I dislike old college players coming to the NFL.   Never of fan of the 25ish year olds coming into the NFL.  They get this college edge given their age, strength, etc. that makes them look better than the 18 year olds. 

one of the many reasons I hated the DJ pick last year.  Yeah, let's reach on 25 year old meh edge player because he showed some potential vs 18 year olds. 

• Pie 3

31 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

Maybe he works out, I don’t know. But Tepper hasn’t shown the capacity to find a quality head coach yet, in any sport he operates. 

he shows the capacity for screwing up and then scrapping it and trying it again.

if he is learning how to be a not horrible owner, these are the kinds of things you need to see...not digging your heels in the ground and refusing to admit you were wrong. scrapping a plan and going a different direction is admitting that you fugged up and you're going to try again.

maybe he stumbled onto something good. i'm just glad he's trying to get it worked out. 

looks like he figured morgan was someone who could and should be trusted and then trusted him with selecting his own HC. the fact that didn't go after a hyped commodity is also different than what he has done.

he did things differently this time around and he's staying in the background. 

i thin there's plenty of reason to be encouraged by what's going on. he hasn't given up. the team is rebuilding and reshaping. we haven't lost any games this season yet. 

until this iteration is proven to be a failure, i'm not going to deem it as such. also not deeming it as a success...i'm keeping an open mind and being hopeful so i can enjoy the offseason. again this is all my take. it may not be for everyone. it's definitely not for those afraid of getting hopes dashed. it takes a bit of courage to choose to be hopeful feel good about what is going on considering what we've experienced in the past.

• Pie 2

On 4/5/2024 at 2:37 PM, strato said:

I think they topok the 'get the guy a year or two too early if you have to' approach. Via necessity.

He fits what they were valuing: QB fixer, young up and coming offensive coach. I thionk it was actually a hire with some hope on the back end if this QB doesn’t improve his performance, there will be a guy here already with a culture in place that can do work with talent. 

This right here ^. I had read from a few sources that this was their approach going in, so this is not a surprise.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, CRA said:

Hurst is also an example of why I dislike old college players coming to the NFL.   Never of fan of the 25ish year olds coming into the NFL.  They get this college edge given their age, strength, etc. that makes them look better than the 18 year olds. 

one of the many reasons I hated the DJ pick last year.  Yeah, let's reach on 25 year old meh edge player because he showed some potential vs 18 year olds. 

Yep. Joe Burrow is a unicorn. He's the only guy who fits the mold that I lived as a prospect.

1 hour ago, Prowler2k18 said:

This right here ^. I had read from a few sources that this was their approach going in, so this is not a surprise.

I also saw it suggested somewhere that they were gonna have to do that sort of Plan B with a 2nd tier candidate. He seems like good raw material. I have a couple of concerns as to whether he projects a strong enough image to lead a bunch of football men, but Bill Walsh was kind of the same and did okay. 

I am skeptical as to how much hands on he will have time for/with the QB.

Edited by strato
  • Beer 1