• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Offense and its Impact on Bryce Young and the WR(s) we draft

MHS831

I am not ready to tar and feather Bryce, but that could be based on my lack of interest in the trends and creative applications of Xs and Os.  I can say that I have been listening to Canales, and I really love what I am hearing.  Think about his history and how he has turned QBs around.  Think of these comments (paraphrasing):

1. The QB will get rid of the ball in 2.7 seconds or less.

2. There will be a strong running game.

3. We will play to Bryce's strengths.

Now think how difficult it was to sack Brees in New Orleans, and why he had 2 stud guards in front of him.  He basically had the same setup.

I am now going to connect these comments with the concept and scheme of the Oregon Ducks, which is similar to that of the Miami Dolphins (I think Tua and tunas went 11-6 in 2023).  Here is what they said at Oregon concerning Nix and the resurrection of their offense.

“Really, based out of a pro-style offense but with spread principles, RPOs, run-action pass, play-action pass. I like to think that we’re multiple in our personnel groupings and our formations,” Stein said. “We want to be an attacking offense that throws the ball down the field.”

Nix transferred to Oregon in 2022, as Stein was implementing this offense.  Before arriving at Oregon, Nix was a decent QB, but most considered him to be a bust.  Notice the difference between his best year at Auburn and his years at Oregon.  Of course, one must consider the shift from SEC to PAC 10, but this is impressive:

image.thumb.png.3864277ca85d162891d2d538943238d3.png

You don't triple your TD production and double your yardage by switching DI conferences.  His completion percentage increased 10% in his first year and 16.4% the following year.  Meanwhile, at Oregon he threw 74 TDs vs. 10 interceptions. 

The Oregon system is similar to what Canales is describing here.

I realize that college numbers and pro numbers are not really comparable, and I am not trying to do that--I am looking at this as a case study, where you have a guy who was basically run out of Auburn become a stud in this system.  IMO, if Bryce is going to succeed, he needs to do what they are doing in Miami with Tua.  This is pretty close to that.  Miami has burners who are stars after the catch--that minimizes the need to throw the long ball.  That feeds into Bryce's strength because he is smart--this will require pre-snap reads.  He will take snap, plant foot, throw to his read and then to his check down.  Next play....

I see us drafting Corley, Ladd, Washington, and/or one of the Oregon WRs.  I think we have the deep threat.

Bo is just the example I used because i noted the Oregon offense being similar to what Canales was describing.  Similar to Miami in the NFL.  I think he knows what he has to do.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 5
  • Beer 1

I agree on the likely targets. Need WR's that are versatile, polished route runners and separate. The jump ball, deep threat monsters are likely wasted here. Johnny Wilson, Leggette, Tez etc are not gonna fit as well as the guys you mentioned.  It's also the mold of the TE we should look at. Good route runners that make themselves available to the QB. 

• Pie 1

is saying we are going to have a strong running game really any different than Frank Reich claiming we are going to have this creative offense that was being held secret? 

Canales has 1 season to his name.  He had the worst rush attack in the NFL. 

I think that's just a coach saying stuff.  Only really way to have a strong rush attack is to line up under C and play old school football....or have an elite rusher.  I don't see how we will be in position to have a strong rush attack this year.  We have average RBs.  Lining up under C all game until we can't and pounding the rock doesn't jive with Bryce Young or developing the former #1 overall we gave up the farm for. 

I think Canales says the run stuff because our QB was bad last year and he knows we got a LOT of work to do on the pass game. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

55 minutes ago, CRA said:

is saying we are going to have a strong running game really any different than Frank Reich claiming we are going to have this creative offense that was being held secret? 

Canales has 1 season to his name.  He had the worst rush attack in the NFL. 

I think that's just a coach saying stuff.  Only really way to have a strong rush attack is to line up under C and play old school football....or have an elite rusher.  I don't see how we will be in position to have a strong rush attack this year.  We have average RBs.  Lining up under C all game until we can't and pounding the rock doesn't jive with Bryce Young or developing the former #1 overall we gave up the farm for. 

I think Canales says the run stuff because our QB was bad last year and he knows we got a LOT of work to do on the pass game. 

It’s coach speak for “we’re going to TRY to run it a lot”.

All of that will go out the window if they can’t.

35 minutes ago, Tbe said:

It’s coach speak for “we’re going to TRY to run it a lot”.

All of that will go out the window if they can’t.

i don't know...it wasn't working for much of last year with the bucs but he kept at it until it did start working.

2 minutes ago, rayzor said:

i don't know...it wasn't working for much of last year with the bucs but he kept at it until it did start working.

Yeah I believe the 2nd half of the season it was much better. He stayed committed to it and it paid off.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah I believe the 2nd half of the season it was much better. He stayed committed to it and it paid off.

last 4 games....they broke 100 yards once.  Against us. 

outside of that, they largely had to see a bottom 10 rush D to even hover around average. 

I just think this whole Canales is going to have us being a good rushing team mantra......is cobbling up coach bologna that we fall victim to over and over.  

if we are having to lean heavily on Hubbard and Miles Sanders on some John Fox football.....I think that's a sign this Bryce experiment is basically done. 

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, CRA said:

outside of that, they largely had to see a bottom 10 rush D to even hover around average. 

I just think this whole Canales is going to have us being a good rushing team mantra......is cobbling up coach bologna that we fall victim to over and over.  

if we are having to lean heavily on Hubbard and Miles Sanders on some John Fox football.....I think that's a sign this Bryce experiment is basically done. 

I think most teams want a good running game. It’s safe time controlling offense than can wear down a defense. Wanting a strong running game doesn’t mean you don’t like or trust your QB. Ravens, Niners, Lions, Dolphins (3 of which were in the conference finals) all averaged over 130 per game which was towards the top. He paid out for 2 solid OGs. He wants to develop that pocket and keep the defense off balance. It’s also a good way to develop your young QB and get him comfortable before opening up the offense. Who knows it Canales will achieve this goal, but it does look to be a goal he is working on. 

• Beer 2

Worst OLine in the league paired with worst WR core in the league paired with below average TE receiving group paired with below average RB receivers paired with an outdated scheme paired with horrendous team culture.  Our offense as a whole was probably worse than the top 25 in the NCAA last year....not exaggerating.  It isn't excuses it is facts....data, results, eye test all confirm.

Bryce could very well be the problem - but you would never know based on last season because he had offensively the worst situation I have ever heard of any quarterback walking into.  Seriously look at the last 5-10 years of top 10 picked QB's and find me an equivalent....I would bet it is next to impossible.

That said we have improved our OLine tremendously on paper, improved our WR room by 1 significant piece, hopefully improved our scheme and culture tremendously - TE, RB, and WR still need major work to even be average weapons in the passing game.  If we hit well on a WR and TE we will know for sure who Bryce is gonna be and what his potential is.  Is he Tua or is he prime Russ?  No matter what we have to hit consistently in drafts going forward - in all aspects - that is what has held this team down for a decade or more.

• Pie 5
  • Flames 1

51 minutes ago, CRA said:

I really want to know what if anything is going to be done with Young’s mechanics and that hopping and that nonchalant approach that’s worked so well in the NFL for him. The stuff that Reich felt needed an offseason to have a chance at rebuilding. It isn’t a small thing. 

Because I don’t know that he can operate a pro style play action drop back game. If he can, they may be able to run it. Lord knows Icky can do some run blocking and I daresay those guards should hold up at it. 

If her can’t, remember that pistol play action with the sort of waving the ball in front of a running back as he goes back?  Fools no one. 

Edited by strato
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1