• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If You Could Choose Two Players for Our Two First Round Picks, Who Would They Be and Why???

2 hours ago, Hoenheim said:

I dont care too much about that if he can play. We've seen Tank Dell and Devonta Smith killing it. 

I feel like this fanbase is so stuck on size at WR. When the Panthers have drafted nothing but big bodied WRs since drafting Musin Muhammad in R2 all those years ago and not one of them have worked out long term. If you're going to continue to fall on your face drafting WRs in R2, you should at least try to draft a different type of WR. 

You guys want to keep re drafting Mingo over and over again basically. Until you finally find that unicorn that is basically a clone of DK Metcalf.

Regardless of how some of you insinuate that every big receiver (except Metcalf) can't play the game, I think we all know that's not true. 

Franklin has shown some explosiveness, and runs pretty good routes. He will likely earn his lunch in space.  That being said, Franklin is smaller than most for his frame, not really physical at all (and all that comes with that), has the dropsies and rally is a piss-poor blocker. 

Edited by top dawg

33.  Trade back to about pick 50---I think there will be enough value on the board to get our second rounder back in 2025.  Since, in my view, we have to consider the 2025 draft as a fall back if we do not draft a QB in 2024, I think there is enough value later in the round to minimize the sting of trading back.   If we trade back from 33, that should put us in the area where the ILBs will start being picked. 

39.  A. McConkey  B. R. Wilson, C.  Pearsall, D. Corley  (all WRs that fit the scheme)

50:  A. Edge Cooper (ILB)   B. J'Tavion Sanders (TE)  C.  Rakestraw or Tampa (CB)

Edited by MHS831

When people say "BPA" they need to be more clear.  I think you need to consider the rarity of athletes coming out at the position.  For example,  Mel Kiper defended mocking JJ McCarthy at #5 in his mock, but he defended that decision by saying McCarthy was actually #14 on his board.  If it is simply the player, he has no business in the first round--so by putting him at #14, you are including his position rarity.  That is not an excuse to jump 10 spots later because QBs are rare.

However, I would devise a formula that has a scale of points that add up to 100 (for example).  Maybe 20% of the scale would be position rarity--how difficult is it to find a successful player at each position.  Since QB is a tough position to fill, a QB would get all 20 points.  A LT and edge might get 17 points.  A Guard might only get 7. 

Other areas aligned with performance would not be related to position value.

OK, now let's take a look at the menu--what positions are needs, what is their rarity value, and when are the best players expected to go in the draft?

In this draft, LBs drop off pretty quickly around round 3.  In my humble view, CBs of equal value can be found through round 4 into round 5.  So if all things are equal during the draft, I take the LB and get the CB next time around.  I know this is common sense, but when you say BPA it does not make it more simple-still have to navigate the draft.

Give me the best WR and TE on the board. I just can't deal with another bad offense with no weapons again. We gotta give Bryce a fair chance. If he can't improve this season with the weapons we put around him it's time we move on.

• Pie 1

Ladd

One job, just get open. 

Darius Robinson

I just can't get over the idea of having him out there on first and second down on the outside and moving him inside on third down. He will be a three down player for us right out of the gate which will help spell the DL rotation. Immediate impact player. 

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

When people say "BPA" they need to be more clear.  I think you need to consider the rarity of athletes coming out at the position.  For example,  Mel Kiper defended mocking JJ McCarthy at #5 in his mock, but he defended that decision by saying McCarthy was actually #14 on his board.  If it is simply the player, he has no business in the first round--so by putting him at #14, you are including his position rarity.  That is not an excuse to jump 10 spots later because QBs are rare.

However, I would devise a formula that has a scale of points that add up to 100 (for example).  Maybe 20% of the scale would be position rarity--how difficult is it to find a successful player at each position.  Since QB is a tough position to fill, a QB would get all 20 points.  A LT and edge might get 17 points.  A Guard might only get 7. 

Other areas aligned with performance would not be related to position value.

OK, now let's take a look at the menu--what positions are needs, what is their rarity value, and when are the best players expected to go in the draft?

In this draft, LBs drop off pretty quickly around round 3.  In my humble view, CBs of equal value can be found through round 4 into round 5.  So if all things are equal during the draft, I take the LB and get the CB next time around.  I know this is common sense, but when you say BPA it does not make it more simple-still have to navigate the draft.

Just pointing out (again) that per Mike Kaye scouts have said that CBs kinda fall off of a cliff after day 2.

"The Charlotte Observer polled four evaluators from four different teams last week about the cornerback class in the draft. According to the group, the class is relatively average compared to previous classes with the talent dropping off largely after the third round. So, while the Panthers need another top-notch wide receiver, the depth of the draft class implies that cornerback should be a more urgent fix."

Not that Kaye's mouth is a prayer book, but he makes you think.

https://www.heraldonline.com/sports/article287400055.html

I'm conflicted on center. I feel like the top prospects are usually safe and there is some risk with going with Corbett and minimal backup plan. 

But I cannot leave day 2 without another WR. Take the guy they like the best. 

A C, DE, or CB and I am happy with the other. 

33 - trade down, the actual best WR available, the best CB/DE/LB who drops

39 - the actual best WR available if not at 33, the best CB/DE/LB if not 33

I know the question is to be more specifically who, but frankly the WR class outside of the top 4 is heavily debated - there are 10-15 guys on mocks right now between picks 20-60 all moving from top to bottom.  I just need us to get this RIGHT for once.  Legette, Worthy, AD, Franklin, Pearsall, Tez, McConkey, Coleman, Wilson all look like they could be #5 or #15 WR. 

And our 2nd biggest need is a top defended at all levels....so whichever is the BPA there I am good with it.

I do not think Center is even in our top 5 positions of need - for me it is CB, WR, TE, DE, LB, C.

I would love AD Mitchell at 33 if he falls out of the first round but I doubt that would happen.

For the sake of reality, I'd go Ladd McConkey at 33 and Zach Frazier at 39.

If AD and Ladd are gone before 33... I'd go ahead and go Zach Frazier 33 and then Payton Wilson at 39 or vice versa.

• Pie 1