• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joe Person predicts a trade back

5 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yeah I still don't get firing the GM and promoting his assistant

unless...maybe...the assistant isn't, in fact, a clone of his former boss and may actually have a better idea of how to do the job than his former boss. it could be that he saw his former boss do things that he wouldn't do or figured out he shouldn't do. it could be he has a better head for the job than his former boss.

i've had several former bosses that i was actually close to, but who i wouldn't do things the way they did and felt i could do the job better...despite being their associate and friend. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yeah I still don't get firing the GM and promoting his assistant

and largely, the folks under Morgan.  I mean, they basically kept folks in house or in place on that side of things.  Director of Player Personnel, Director of Pro Personnel, Asst. Director of Pro Personnel, Director of College Scouting....

the real hope is that Frank Reich was just THAT horrific with a QB like Bryce.  Which I mean, I do think Frank's horrific scheme made everything hard.  OL to QB to WR.  Frank wasn't helping anyone or anything.  I still hate Caldwell being around though. 

• Beer 1

27 minutes ago, CRA said:

yeah, I just don't like any trade scenario.  I guess, we will see how much Morgan is like his good buddy Scott.  I still think this org hasn't changed that much.  I think Dan was a thumbs on a lot of Scott's bad draft behavior.  I wouldn't be shocked if he makes a trade down I hate. 

Yeah I'm not a fan of a trade down in most scenarios when it's this high of a pick and you have the needs we do. 

I could be sold on a package like I mentioned i.e. our 3rd and one of the 5ths for a late 2nd and 6th if a guy we're really targeting is still available late 2nd.  You want to get impact and I don't mind even swaps/packages, but not this group of picks for a valuable one type situation.

1 minute ago, Bear Hands said:

Yeah I'm not a fan of a trade down in most scenarios when it's this high of a pick and you have the needs we do. 

I could be sold on a package like I mentioned i.e. our 3rd and one of the 5ths for a late 2nd and 6th if a guy we're really targeting is still available late 2nd.  You want to get impact and I don't mind even swaps/packages, but not this group of picks for a valuable one type situation.

I really like the 2nd round of this draft.   Especially if you need offensive skill talent. 

• Beer 1

Just now, CRA said:

I really like the 2nd round of this draft.   Especially if you need offensive skill talent. 

Franklin, J. Sanders, Pearsall, Polk, Benson, Brooks, Corum...it's a cool crop of dudes.  

Could land a starting TE, WR2, slot, RB, there's just a lot of talent.    

I think I am agreement with most. Just get the players are 33 and 39. Don't out think yourselves. This team needs starters so just go get them. Trying to squeeze 1 more pick in there at the cost of possibly losing on a better player doesn't work for me. At least until you've shown the ability to draft really well in rounds 3-5. 

• Pie 4

1 hour ago, Bear Hands said:

Value charts to just gain a third: 

33 <-> 50 & 82

33 <-> 45 & 92

People are forgetting they added in their own 3rd round pick (81) along with 33 to get 41, 72 and a future 3rd.  

I think the idea of trading #33 hinges on teams wanting to overpay for it after mulling over the first round leftovers. Especially if a QB drops. 

Also, I see no problem in picking up a 2025 2nd in the process. I know we’re all feeling impatient, but we’re not competing for a Super Bowl in 2024. Trade back 10 or so picks, add a 2025 2nd (equivalent of a 2024 3rd) + a 2024 4th. That’d be worth it to me if someone we love isn’t sitting there. 

• Pie 1

Yeah this is a very fluid situation and dependent of a whole lot of if/then scenarios.

Unless you are crazy about one player (you have the blinders on ands the earplugs in) the key is probably how closely bunched the grades are in the second round, and I don’t have that to guide me but in general...

if the WRs fall off after #33 then I guess you go WR at #33. I am not sure that is the case. If the grade of a guy there at #33 is essentially the grade at #39 (or #42 or #50 for example, I am not current) then I think you need to be looking at it.

So if there is a range of essentially interchangeable players then I would say total green light on moving within that range if you are getting paid because that is more like getting extra gravy. And anything that helps lessen the pick deficit next season should be at least evaluated.

Edited by strato
  • Pie 1

Imagine if we had traded back from #1 and got our 2nd Qb choice???

Sometimes not getting who you want is a good thing😀

Also trading back doesn’t have to mean falling way back.  What if it’s your turn to draft and you have 4-5 players all graded equally.  Moving back a few spots and picking up a later pick isn’t a  a bad thing.  

Also I like this idea of picking up future year draft picks.  Teams tend to devalue those.  I would much prefer a future 2nd than a current 3rd.  It’s like earning interest on your draft picks.  Nobody has the patience to do it that first time.  If you did it every year you would really just give up that one year and gain a free round in each subsequent year. 

We don't know what is to offered for those 2 picks.....we don't know who is available to move up for....we don't know who is going to there at the end of Day 1.  So nothing is at all certain - some of yall like to act like none of that matters and it is obvious what the right decision is....nothing is for sure at this point.

Rice getting arrested probably impacts us....Diggs to the Texans probably impacts us via the Bills....what is Higgins gets traded before we pick...what is other trades happen in the 1st round....anything can still happen that affects all of it.  The answer is we see what is available before we make decisions.

5 minutes ago, Stingray3030 said:

We don't know what is to offered for those 2 picks.....we don't know who is available to move up for....we don't know who is going to there at the end of Day 1.  So nothing is at all certain - some of yall like to act like none of that matters and it is obvious what the right decision is....nothing is for sure at this point.

Rice getting arrested probably impacts us....Diggs to the Texans probably impacts us via the Bills....what is Higgins gets traded before we pick...what is other trades happen in the 1st round....anything can still happen that affects all of it.  The answer is we see what is available before we make decisions.

but we do have last year to make educated assumptions off of. 

33 was traded last year.  For a team to go get a QB.  

so if it is similar to that, just draft the best WR on the board IMO. 

2 hours ago, CRA said:

how far down you willing to go for that. 

that's more than the last folks got for the 33 and they went down to 41

45 or 50 more than likely, unless they sweeten the pot even more.

You should look at the draft own it's own merit. If let's say that Bo Nix or Michael Penix are available, some QB-needy team may want to grab them.