• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Dave Tepper would review play call data, review with Reich

Looks like a stock trader who wants to know what the fundamentals are and how it's going to grow or how he can capitalize on its weaknesses.

It doesn't work that way in the NFL.  Tepper needs to understand that the NFL isn't a traditional business.  His acumen and background mean NOTHING to winning in the NFL.  Instead, he needs to hire smart people with a plan and let them do their thing with minimal input and interference.

If Tepper wants to be the biggest fan and nerd, getting to go around with the team, attending dinners, whatever.  It's his money.  He wants to talk to draft picks and welcome them?  Cool!  That's a nice gesture for a young man on the biggest night of his life.  But when making decisions, he needs to just back away.  No, run away.

Tepper should concentrate on the business and fan side of things.  Make coming to games an incredible experience for the fans.  Let the football people do the football things.

• Pie 1

10 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yeah cancelling that 2nd Jets practice is looking a lot more interesting now. Or not interesting just sad. One thing for sure we don't need yet another season of coddling the qb in the preseason games like the previous Darnold and Bryce years. Still very looking forward to the decision on QB3, I know Canales said he wants a vet but any vet with valuable playing time or anything worthwhile to add to the meeting rooms are scooped up so I still think Morgan will say fug it and draft a guy or grab a udfa

I thought they cancelled that second Jets practice because the oline couldn't pick up on stunts. They were getting to the QB on every single drop back, and he was legit afraid someone would get hurt. I agree it was an indicator of how the season would go. The oline was atrocious. 

15 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Exactly, Canales is brought in to be a quarterback whisperer. He wouldn't have made a sideways move, so head coaching job and money it is. It's a lot to ask of one guy but he couldn't turn down the money. If it doesn't work out he still gets paid, I'm most interested in to what lengths do they exhaust the Bryce Young experiment if it's not working, that will tell us more about the stubbornness of Tepper than anything

Tepper isn't that stubborn.  He has shown that he'll stick with something, but only for so long.  He's 110% committed to something until he isn't, and its like a light switch.  If Bryce doesn't play any better this year, I bet Tepper will be ready to move on.

• Beer 2

16 hours ago, onmyown said:

If I had to choose between a random huddler and Tepper to call plays for my make believe team it wouldn’t be Tepper, just sayin

Calling plays? Absolutely nothing in that article said anything about calling plays. Asking Reich why he ran screen passes or runs on 80% of 3rd and longs (as an example) is a legitimate question. That’s what the article says was done. It doesn’t say Tepper called plays or even told Reich to run certain plays.

33 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Tepper isn't that stubborn.  He has shown that he'll stick with something, but only for so long.  He's 110% committed to something until he isn't, and its like a light switch.  If Bryce doesn't play any better this year, I bet Tepper will be ready to move on.

Yeah, I don't get this fan-created narrative that Tepper has or will have some super-attachment to Bryce and won't let the coaches move on.  

Say what you want about Tepper but all this team has done since he's become owner is move on.  If Bryce shows no improvement, then I'm sure the first thing the team will do is explore options to move on.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

On 4/17/2024 at 11:03 AM, Riverboat Ron said:

I mean it’s painfully obvious this franchise is screwed with Tepper.

There sure as hell hasn't been many positives! Except the concerts. And I don't know about a woman's intuition football thing 

3 hours ago, Mage said:

Yeah, I don't get this fan-created narrative that Tepper has or will have some super-attachment to Bryce and won't let the coaches move on.  

Say what you want about Tepper but all this team has done since he's become owner is move on.  If Bryce shows no improvement, then I'm sure the first thing the team will do is explore options to move on.

You remember the coaching search? The Jet Set. Dave and the missus, huge entourage. Heavy on the analytics and test scores, the idea that the brain could bridge the gap created by physical shortcomings. That approach fits Tepper to a T.  I don’t believe that impression was entirely fan created. 

• Beer 1

Just now, strato said:

You remember the coaching search? The Jet Set. Dave and the missus, huge entourage. Heavy on the analytics and test scores, the idea that the brain could bridge the gap created by physical shortcomings. That approach fits Tepper to a T.  I don’t believe that impression was entirely fan created. 

That has nothing to do with his willingness to move on. It is possible (although not proven) for him to have wanted Bryce while also being willing to move on from him if it doesn’t work out. You know who he also liked at one point? Frank Reich

There is 0 reason to think that Tepper wouldn’t support a change in QB if it came down to it 

1 minute ago, Mage said:

That has nothing to do with his willingness to move on. It is possible (although not proven) for him to have wanted Bryce while also being willing to move on from him if it doesn’t work out. You know who he also liked at one point? Frank Reich

There is 0 reason to think that Tepper wouldn’t support a change in QB if it came down to it 

I meant to say I hope you are right about making the call if the progress is less than encouraging, I fear reluctance to throw in the towel.

At the same time, you’d figure that Canales and Tepper would have had the conversation outlining  a lot of if/then scenarios.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   We’ll see.  

7 minutes ago, Mage said:

for all his flaws, Tepper has proven 1 thing.....he doesn't get attached, doesn't care to be wrong and will move in a new direction quicker than most.  He might not bluntly say it in words, but his actions speak loud.   You see that repeatedly in everything he does.  From soccer, to football to his business dealings.   

Nothing suggest Tepper will stick with Bryce too long if we need to part with him. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

8 minutes ago, CRA said:

for all his flaws, Tepper has proven 1 thing.....he doesn't get attached, doesn't care to be wrong and will move in a new direction quicker than most.  He might not bluntly say it in words, but his actions speak loud.   You see that repeatedly in everything he does.  From soccer, to football to his business dealings.   

Nothing suggest Tepper will stick with Bryce too long if we need to part with him. 

He is a business man and knows when to cut his losses. This is what kind of gives me hope he will eventually get it right. He also seems to be trying a different approach each time from Rhule, to Reich, and now a firm to help hire Canales all 3 very different candidates. 

• Pie 1