• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Athletic Dane Brugler's 7-round mock draft specular

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

I would bet money that only 2 of the Panthers draft picks this year work out for them, if they're lucky.  So anyone thinking the team will get more than 1 starter has their expectations way too high.

Find a starter in round 2 At every need position--

• CB?  No--we need depth that is ready to play.  Maybe Yes to a nickel.
  • ILB? No, we have 2 starters and one (Thompson) is probably in his last year
  • WR?  No, we have Theilen in the slot and a veteran #1 that should be a #2--but both are probably or possibly in their last years at Carolina. 
  • OC?  Until Corbett screws the pooch, no.
  • Edge?  With the Gamecock duo (Wonnum and Clowney), not immediately
  • RB?  We are probably looking for more of a situational RB who can play short yardage.
  • TE?  Yes.  We can find a starting TE in the draft if we take Sanders.

However, if we draft WR, TE, Edge, C, ILB, and CB, there is a chance all COULD BE starting by 2025.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1

12 hours ago, jfra78 said:

I'm not big on taking rb that high, but I wouldn't be too mad at this

Panthers need a RB worse than we realize. Sanders sucks and Hubbard is a complementary back. Brooks is going to be a good NFL RB. Texas has been churning out some good RBs lately. 

• Pie 3

Some notable guys Brugler hears from sources may go higher than expected, per the Beast and his pod appearances:

Kris Jenkins Jr. Michigan (35 to LAC via trade)

Patrick Paul (36 to WAS)

Mike Hall DL Ohio State (43 to ATL)

Cole Bishop S Utah (60 to BUF)

1 hour ago, hepcat said:

Panthers need a RB worse than we realize. Sanders sucks and Hubbard is a complementary back. Brooks is going to be a good NFL RB. Texas has been churning out some good RBs lately. 

Yeah, this draft is being kind of slept on in that regard. 

If we can get a guy that becomes a bulk of our run game, can hit home runs, & pass catch, that's huge.  There's 5 IMO that would instantly take majority snaps here: Brooks, Benson, Corum, Wright and Lloyd.

That is a huge get even considering the shelf life of RBs.  If they can do it all, you get a great addition to an offense that has been god awful.  

3 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

I would bet money that only 2 of the Panthers draft picks this year work out for them, if they're lucky.  

Hopefully the Panthers don't just draft good players - they keep them, which is one of the biggest problems with this team.  We only have 8 players (out of 29 picks) drafted between 2018-22 still on the team.  

Think about how many guys had long careers with us back in the day.  Peppers, Gamble, Davis, Gross, Kasay, Hoover, DeAngelo, Stewart, Kalil, Wharton... I could go on and on.  Now we're lucky if we get 5 years out of a player.

I get some of that was due to Hurney being insanely loyal to home talent, which comes with its own issues. But it felt good to root for a team with players you have been supporting for years. 

4 minutes ago, Mage said:

Hopefully the Panthers don't just draft good players - they keep them, which is one of the biggest problems with this team.  We only have 8 players (out of 29 picks) drafted between 2018-22 still on the team.  

Think about how many guys had long careers with us back in the day.  Peppers, Gamble, Davis, Gross, Kasay, Hoover, DeAngelo, Stewart, Kalil, Wharton... I could go on and on.  Now we're lucky if we get 5 years out of a player.

I get some of that was due to Hurney being insanely loyal to home talent, which comes with its own issues. But it felt good to root for a team with players you have been supporting for years. 

There are only 3 players drafted in-house from before 2020 (Shaq, Ian Thomas and Moton)

We used 9 picks on last year's 5 player draft.  None look like sure things.  3 will likely not be here much longer (DJJ, Zavala, & Jammie).  Leaving us Bryce and Mingo as question marks.

The prior year, we used 8 picks on 6 guys...and only 3 are still here: Icky, Mays, and Barno

It's bad. Baaad 

• Pie 3

2 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

Yeah, this draft is being kind of slept on in that regard. 

If we can get a guy that becomes a bulk of our run game, can hit home runs, & pass catch, that's huge.  There's 5 IMO that would instantly take majority snaps here: Brooks, Benson, Corum, Wright and Lloyd.

That is a huge get even considering the shelf life of RBs.  If they can do it all, you get a great addition to an offense that has been god awful.  

If we add a stud RB, TE, and WR to go with the free agent moves at G and WR, Bryce will have no excuses.

4 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

If we add a stud RB, TE, and WR to go with the free agent moves at G and WR, Bryce will have no excuses.

Bryce already has no excuses.  Either he shows that he's a franchise QB or we draft someone who might be next year.  The fanbase can still hope that BY has a Trevor Lawrence like upturn in his second season.  That would be great.  Another season like the last and he's Zach Wilson.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

I would bet money that only 2 of the Panthers draft picks this year work out for them, if they're lucky.  So anyone thinking the team will get more than 1 starter has their expectations way too high.

Sane me says this is logical, rational and probably correlates with history. 

Draft Weekend Panther Fan Me  says all of the guys we pick during the draft are either day one starters or will be solid contributors right away. 

Draft weekend Panther fan me needs help...

• Beer 1

11 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

The first two rounds are typically starter level players. After that it's mainly rotational or depth guys. Which, we need a ton of depth, as well.

The problem is our second round picks have largely been garbage for about a decade now.

• Pie 2

6 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Except not having a center to get him the ball. Corbett has never played the position beyond taking some snaps there during camps. The team thinking he's going to be an NFL starting center is dumb. Plus, he's coming off a big injury.