• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why is no one considering double dip at WR?

29 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, back when we actually drafted decent (I mean, people bash Hurney but his drafts were decent vs the field).....we still went to 2 Super Bowls largely off his picks.  To win a championship requires luck.  Lot of athletes talk about that.  It's not just being good.  We got unlucky in twice in the Super Bowl.  But we built 2 different Super Bowl teams. 

We have sucked drafting lately.  It's been about 1 legit player per draft.  It doesn't have to be that way.  We proved that before.  But yeah, I have little doubt in the Tepper era we can pull much off......outside of just blind luck. 

Building a team to make a run at 1 SB win is doable if you have a bit of luck. Building a team to be in the playoffs every year is much more than luck. It takes a great to solid FO and coaching staff. That doesn't happen a 1 or 2 off seasons. It takes years of solid drafting and wish cap allocations. We have not had any of that since inception.  Luck got us to 2 SB's. Bad management has kept them from sustainable success. 

7 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Building a team to make a run at 1 SB win is doable if you have a bit of luck. Building a team to be in the playoffs every year is much more than luck. It takes a great to solid FO and coaching staff. That doesn't happen a 1 or 2 off seasons. It takes years of solid drafting and wish cap allocations. We have not had any of that since inception.  Luck got us to 2 SB's. Bad management has kept them from sustainable success. 

I mean, I would draw a distinct difference between the Richardson and Tepper Panthers.  We were inconsistent under Jerry.  Sadly, we are VERY consistent under Tepper. 

• Flames 2

15 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, I would draw a distinct difference between the Richardson and Tepper Panthers.  We were inconsistent under Jerry.  Sadly, we are VERY consistent under Tepper. 

Jerry at least managed to keep the team mediocre. When they managed to get lucky he could put together a 1 year wonder. Dave cannot even stumble into putting together 1 mediocre team much less a 1 time playoff team. Sad situation in BOA.

Just now, Jon Snow said:

Jerry at least managed to keep the team mediocre. When they managed to get lucky he could put together a 1 year wonder. Dave cannot even stumble into putting together 1 mediocre team much less a 1 time playoff team. Sad situation in BOA.

it was a rollercoaster with Jerry.  Highs and lows.  Unable to sustain a high. 

Tepper just has us in the dumpster.  A present era version of the old Lions/Browns/Jets.  That's us now. 

• Beer 1

I don't think the draft should be about filling holes. It's about bringing in talent for the future. The expectation that a rookie will start day 1 and be a pro bowl talent is not realistic. You want them to come in, play meaningful minutes, and improve throughout the season. That way you have options at the end. 

This WR corps is not proven in this offense with this HC and this OC. The only one that has consistently caught for 1000 yards is in his mid 30s now. Very good WRs will be available in the 2nd round on Friday. Don't take a fringe 2nd/3rd round CB or DE because the team needs one, when a WR that could have easily gone in the 1st last year is sitting there. Thielen, Moore, TMJ and Johnson could very likely be gone next season. And even if they are still here, that group doesn't exactly strike fear in the hearts of DCs - even if you add Mingo and ISM to the list. None of them were 1st round talents coming into the league. They were all developmental projects. 

there’s no need to necessarily go into this draft and go box ticking with your shopping list, and there’s especially no need to go setting picks on fire for lesser value positions

the talent at WR is there in the late first early second range, mining that a bit especially on the offensive side of the ball, is a good idea.

• Beer 1

I think Ladd will be gone (Buffalo or Chiefs) by the time we pick, the more realistic WR left for 33 probably are Legette, Worthy, Franklin, Pearshall, Coleman,  Polk and other project day 2 WRs.

It all depend on how Morgan & Co value these WRs at 33 If one of the top 1 rd grade talent C, CB, Edge, LB drop to the second.

11 minutes ago, WestPanthers said:

I think Ladd will be gone (Buffalo or Chiefs) by the time we pick, the more realistic WR left for 33 probably are Legette, Worthy, Franklin, Pearshall, Coleman,  Polk and other project day 2 WRs.

It all depend on how Morgan & Co value these WRs at 33 If one of the top 1 rd grade talent C, CB, Edge, LB drop to the second.

I wouldn’t be surprised if mcconkey slid a bit. All it takes is one team but it sure looks like he’s much more well liked by fans and the media than nfl teams. Joe person has said the panthers “like him, but like others guys more.” 

No offense but It’s weird that leggette gets so much criticism here for his career production by the same people who are all in on Ladd. 

I’ll toss out some bold predictions that one or both of the Texas wide receivers goes before Brian Thomas, and Keon Coleman has a big slide, maybe going behind some names that a lot of fans aren’t familiar with (including me) 

Edited by Growl

Drafting a WR is a total crapshoot and based on luck. 1 in 5 work out. No amount of NFL Scouting or a talented front office can change that. The Rams got lucky with Puka Nacua, its not like they are elite in scouting and better than everyone else. I mean they just took Tutu Atwell in the 2nd and Jacob Harris in the 4th and both likely won't be reupped when their contracts run out.

Same with QB's. Its why there doesn't need to be so much freaking time between the SB and the NFL Draft. You could hold the NFL Draft at the end of March and teams don't know any more poo than they do now.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, amcoolio said:

Drafting a WR is a total crapshoot and based on luck. 1 in 5 work out. No amount of NFL Scouting or a talented front office can change that. The Rams got lucky with Puka Nacua, its not like they are elite in scouting and better than everyone else. I mean they just took Tutu Atwell in the 2nd and Jacob Harris in the 4th and both likely won't be reupped when their contracts run out.

Same with QB's. Its why there doesn't need to be so much freaking time between the SB and the NFL Draft. You could hold the NFL Draft at the end of March and teams don't know any more poo than they do now.

you ever heard of cooper kupp?