• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Char observer final mock Mike kaye

26 minutes ago, Jaxel said:

I mean, Worthy is praised quite a bit for his technical soundness and route running ability. It's his size that people worry about.

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS
  • Worthy is a natural playmaker, at his best with the ball in his hands. If you give even a little cushion he's going to beat you. Not just a deep threat he's a nightmare to defend on slants
  • Fluid athlete with an elite explosive burst and speed to stretch the field and breeze past defenders. Has a quick first step and gets to top speed in a hurry.
  • His speed is simply elite - He ran multiple 100-meter dash times between 10.5 and 10.65 seconds while in high school. He also repeatably ran sub-4.5 second 40-yard dash times as a freshman in high school.
  • He plays with smoothness and balance, and Worthy shows a knack for setting up defensive backs
  • Has impressive position versatility - surprisingly he has demonstrated he's able to line up consistently outside as well as dominate from the slot. Has also been used a punt returner
  • He’s very good working outside the numbers, showing excellent ball-tracking skills, and he does the little things well downfield, including leaving enough room on the sideline for his quarterback to drop in a throw. He's demonstrated he's much faster now
  • An impressively skilled route runner. Shows excellent discipline and makes sharp cuts
  • Worthy has reliable hands and despite his size shows the willingness to make catches in traffic over the middle.

SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES
  • He’ll have to develop a better feel for sitting down against zone coverage.
  • NFL defenders will be able to knock him off his route because of his slight frame. It also presents a major injury risk and unless he gets significantly bigger will only be viewed as a role player in the pros. This is partially explanation for this is him being used as more of a deep threat
  • Suffered a drop-off in production in 2022 after an amazing freshman campaign. Despite having 10 more passes thrown his way he ended up with 220 fewer yards and 4 fewer TDs over the course of the season
  • Doesn't have the size to consistently win on the outside, but can be productive working the middle of the field and as a return man.

If Dionte is your X outside receiver, seems like he would be a good compliment to that.

you’ve got to understand that for most posters the evaluation is as simple as “broke the 40 record? So he’s John Ross huh no thanks” 

53 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

Edgerrin Cooper is my choice for #33 if he's there. Then grab a WR.

The Lombardi video I posted in another thread a few minutes ago--Lombardi says, "You want to know what a team is going to do, look at the depth chart."  He also mentioned how only 27% of first round WRs succeed and how most of the good WRs in the NFL were day 2 and 3 players in the draft? 

We have 2 30-year old ILBs (Jewell and Thompson).  Not much behind them at all.  LB is a huge need. 

At CB, we have oft-injured Horn, Dane Jackson, and  33-year old Troy Hill at nickel.  Not much behind them. 

At WR, we have Johnson (a decent X), Thielen (a solid slot in his last year), and Mingo, a second year player at Z.  Behind them, we have Smith Marsette and MAYBE TMJ.  We could use a player to challenge Mingo and/or to groom for the slot position.  I contend that this is not as big of a need early as LB or CB. 

We could argue that C is in the cards.

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Xavier will forever worry me until he can prove himself. 
I hope we don’t draft him.

My biggest problem with him is hes all speed.  Hes slight of frame and isnt going to make contested catches and doesnt run great routes.  Hes either screens or deep bombs.  You run a 4.21 the first couple routes and then you slow down.  When he slows down hes useless so you have to make sure to keep him fresh.  I think hes awesome as a luxury pick, but we arent in the position to make a luxury pick.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

Second round — 33rd overall pick: Xavier Worthy, WR, Texas

Mock trade with Green Bay Packers

Panthers acquire: 41th (second round via the New York Jets) and 126th (fourth round) overall picks.

Packers acquire: 39th (second round) overall pick.

Second round — 41st overall pick (from GB via NYJ): Edgerrin Cooper, LB, Texas A&M

The Panthers probably need to start planning for life after Shaq Thompson. The longtime captain is coming off a serious leg injury and is in the final year of his reworked contract.

While there is a lot of optimism hovering around Thompson’s return, the Panthers should hedge their bets at inside linebacker. A succession plan at inside linebacker would be forward-thinking and wise from a long-term roster-building standpoint.

Third round — 65th overall pick: Ben Sinnott, TE, Kansas State

Fourth round — 101st overall pick: Kris Abrams-Draine, CB, Missouri

Fourth round — 126th overall pick (via GB): Braelon Allen, RB, Wisconsin

Fifth round — 141st overall pick (via NYG): Brenden Rice, WR, Southern California

Fifth round — 142nd overall pick (via TEN): Beaux Limmer, C, Arkansas

Seventh round — 240th overall pick (via PIT): Evan Anderson, NT, Florida Atlantic

FIRST ROUND, NO. 1 (VIA CHI): BRYCE YOUNG, QB, ALABAMA

SECOND ROUND, NO. 39: FELIX ANUDIKE-UZOMAH, EDGE, KANSAS STATE

THIRD ROUND, NO. 93 (VIA SF): A.T. PERRY, WR, WAKE FOREST

FOURTH ROUND, NO. 114: GARRETT WILLIAMS, CB, SYRACUSE

FOURTH ROUND, NO. 132 (VIA SF): CAMERON LATU, TE, ALABAMA

FIFTH ROUND, NO. 145: DORIAN WILLIAMS, LB, TULANE

This was Mike Kaye's final 2023 mock he was way off I can guarantee you our actual draft will look NOTHING like his 2024 mock draft

43 minutes ago, Growl said:

you’ve got to understand that for most posters the evaluation is as simple as “broke the 40 record? So he’s John Ross huh no thanks” 

Worthy is a solid route runner and doesn't play as fast as his 40 time (not that he plays slow, just not THAT fast). His slight frame means when DBs get hands on him he is re-routed quite often, and he is not good against press man like some of the other leaner fast guys the past few drafts (Tank Dell, Flowers, Davonte Smith, Josh Downs). He doesn't play bigger than his frame, he plays as big as he is.

1 minute ago, Tr3ach said:

My biggest problem with him is hes all speed.  Hes slight of frame and isnt going to make contested catches and doesnt run great routes.  Hes either screens or deep bombs.  You run a 4.21 the first couple routes and then you slow down.  When he slows down hes useless so you have to make sure to keep him fresh.  I think hes awesome as a luxury pick, but we arent in the position to make a luxury pick.

I didn't see that when I watched him at all. He plays tough. He is not a finesse receiver. He mixes it up over the middle and will fight back to the ball. I think the issue with Worthy is that he needs to be more of a hands catcher. Lots of body catches. But that can be coached and trained. DJ Moore had similar issues coming out and he was able to get much better with it.

9 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

FIRST ROUND, NO. 1 (VIA CHI): BRYCE YOUNG, QB, ALABAMA

SECOND ROUND, NO. 39: FELIX ANUDIKE-UZOMAH, EDGE, KANSAS STATE

THIRD ROUND, NO. 93 (VIA SF): A.T. PERRY, WR, WAKE FOREST

FOURTH ROUND, NO. 114: GARRETT WILLIAMS, CB, SYRACUSE

FOURTH ROUND, NO. 132 (VIA SF): CAMERON LATU, TE, ALABAMA

FIFTH ROUND, NO. 145: DORIAN WILLIAMS, LB, TULANE

This was Mike Kaye's final 2023 mock he was way off I can guarantee you our actual draft will look NOTHING like his 2024 mock draft

positionally he sort of his the first 3 picks though.  QB, WR, Edge is what we did. 

48 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

The Lombardi video I posted in another thread a few minutes ago--Lombardi says, "You want to know what a team is going to do, look at the depth chart."  He also mentioned how only 27% of first round WRs succeed and how most of the good WRs in the NFL were day 2 and 3 players in the draft? 

We have 2 30-year old ILBs (Jewell and Thompson).  Not much behind them at all.  LB is a huge need. 

At CB, we have oft-injured Horn, Dane Jackson, and  33-year old Troy Hill at nickel.  Not much behind them. 

At WR, we have Johnson (a decent X), Thielen (a solid slot in his last year), and Mingo, a second year player at Z.  Behind them, we have Smith Marsette and MAYBE TMJ.  We could use a player to challenge Mingo and/or to groom for the slot position.  I contend that this is not as big of a need early as LB or CB. 

We could argue that C is in the cards.

OFFENSE
LWR 15 Mingo, Jonathan 23/2 88 Marshall Jr., Terrace 21/2 86 Strachan, Mike SF23        
RWR 5 Johnson, Diontae T/Pit 83 Moore, David U/TB 87 Sims, Cam SF23 18 Camp, Jalen SF23    
SWR 19 THIELEN, ADAM CC/Min 11 Smith-Marsette, Ihmir T/KC            
LT 79 Ekwonu, Ikem 22/1 77 Nijman, Yosh U/GB 61 Lee, Ricky CF23        
LG 68 Lewis, Damien U/Sea 66 Jensen, Nash CF23 65 DiRenzo, J.D. CF23        
C 63 Corbett, Austin U/LAR 64 Mays, Cade 22/6            
RG 50 Hunt, Robert U/Mia 62 Zavala, Chandler 23/4            
RT 72 Moton, Taylor 17/2 70 Christensen, Brady 21/3 73 Manning, Ilm P/SF 76 Traore, Badara SF23    
TE 82 Tremble, Tommy 21/3 80 Thomas, Ian 18/4 84 Sullivan, Stephen SF21 81 MATTHEWS, JORDAN SF23 48 Pierce, Chris SF23
QB 9 Young, Bryce 23/1 14 DALTON, ANDY U/NO            
RB 30 Hubbard, Chuba 21/4 6 Sanders, Miles U/Phi 3 Blackshear, Raheem P/Buf 34 Boone, Mike SF23 39 Brown, Spencer CF21
RB                 33 Cohen, Tarik SF23
DEFENSE
DE 95 Brown, Derrick 20/1 92 Williams, Raequan SF22            
NT 99 Tuttle, Shy U/NO 91 Thurman, Nick SF23            
DT 94 Robinson, A'Shawn U/NYG 93 Ray, LaBryan SF23            
LOLB 7 CLOWNEY, JADEVEON U/Bal 45 Chaisson, K'Lavon U/Jax 38 Barno, Amaré 22/6 46 Leota, Eku CF23    
LILB 54 THOMPSON, SHAQ 15/1 57 Wooten, Chandler P/Arz 33 Davis, Tae SF23        
RILB 47 Jewell, Josey U/Den 53 Cherelus, Claudin W/NYJ            
ROLB 98 Wonnum, D.J. U/Min 52 Johnson, DJ 23/3 43 Vilain, Luiji P/Min        
LCB 8 Horn, Jaycee 21/1 32 Bootle, Dicaprio SF23 31 Jackson, Lamar SF23        
SS 25 Woods, Xavier U/Min 22 Robinson, Jammie 23/5 42 Franklin Jr., Sam CF20        
FS 20 Fuller, Jordan U/LAR 21 Scott, Nick CC/Cin 27 Cook, Alex P/NYG        
RCB 23 Jackson, Dane U/Buf 29 Jamison, D'Shawn W/SF            
NB 13 HILL, TROY U/LAR 37 Parker, AJ SF23            

starters are set (except for CB) we need depth everywhere especially DE and LB

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:
OFFENSE
LWR 15 Mingo, Jonathan 23/2 88 Marshall Jr., Terrace 21/2 86 Strachan, Mike SF23        
RWR 5 Johnson, Diontae T/Pit 83 Moore, David U/TB 87 Sims, Cam SF23 18 Camp, Jalen SF23    
SWR 19 THIELEN, ADAM CC/Min 11 Smith-Marsette, Ihmir T/KC            
LT 79 Ekwonu, Ikem 22/1 77 Nijman, Yosh U/GB 61 Lee, Ricky CF23        
LG 68 Lewis, Damien U/Sea 66 Jensen, Nash CF23 65 DiRenzo, J.D. CF23        
C 63 Corbett, Austin U/LAR 64 Mays, Cade 22/6            
RG 50 Hunt, Robert U/Mia 62 Zavala, Chandler 23/4            
RT 72 Moton, Taylor 17/2 70 Christensen, Brady 21/3 73 Manning, Ilm P/SF 76 Traore, Badara SF23    
TE 82 Tremble, Tommy 21/3 80 Thomas, Ian 18/4 84 Sullivan, Stephen SF21 81 MATTHEWS, JORDAN SF23 48 Pierce, Chris SF23
QB 9 Young, Bryce 23/1 14 DALTON, ANDY U/NO            
RB 30 Hubbard, Chuba 21/4 6 Sanders, Miles U/Phi 3 Blackshear, Raheem P/Buf 34 Boone, Mike SF23 39 Brown, Spencer CF21
RB                 33 Cohen, Tarik SF23
DEFENSE
DE 95 Brown, Derrick 20/1 92 Williams, Raequan SF22            
NT 99 Tuttle, Shy U/NO 91 Thurman, Nick SF23            
DT 94 Robinson, A'Shawn U/NYG 93 Ray, LaBryan SF23            
LOLB 7 CLOWNEY, JADEVEON U/Bal 45 Chaisson, K'Lavon U/Jax 38 Barno, Amaré 22/6 46 Leota, Eku CF23    
LILB 54 THOMPSON, SHAQ 15/1 57 Wooten, Chandler P/Arz 33 Davis, Tae SF23        
RILB 47 Jewell, Josey U/Den 53 Cherelus, Claudin W/NYJ            
ROLB 98 Wonnum, D.J. U/Min 52 Johnson, DJ 23/3 43 Vilain, Luiji P/Min        
LCB 8 Horn, Jaycee 21/1 32 Bootle, Dicaprio SF23 31 Jackson, Lamar SF23        
SS 25 Woods, Xavier U/Min 22 Robinson, Jammie 23/5 42 Franklin Jr., Sam CF20        
FS 20 Fuller, Jordan U/LAR 21 Scott, Nick CC/Cin 27 Cook, Alex P/NYG        
RCB 23 Jackson, Dane U/Buf 29 Jamison, D'Shawn W/SF            
NB 13 HILL, TROY U/LAR 37 Parker, AJ SF23            

starters are set (except for CB) we need depth everywhere especially DE and LB

think about it--we added starters at G, G, X WR, and (in a weird way) C.  That is 4/11 positions on offense.  On defense,  we have already added Robinson (DE), Clowney and Wonnum (OLBs), Jewell (ILB), Jackson (CB), and Fuller (S).  If you consider the fact that we are getting Thompson back from IR, that makes 7/11 new starters on defense.  Only Horn and Hill (CBs), Tuttle (DT) and Brown (DE) are returning starters. We could use a nickel and depth at CB, a "dawg" LB to play behind our 30-year-old ILBs, and I am not sure how they feel about edge.   On offense, we could upgrade Mingo, Chubba, and TE.  If I had to pick the top 3 needs in relation to this draft, I would go (Considering who we have and how much a rookie would upgrade the position-even if it is in a reserve role):

1. Nickel CB  (Hill is 33 and Horn is hurt all the time.  Not much behind them.

2.  ILB depth (the new Kickoff rule will value linebackers, in my opinion)

3. Z Receiver  (Mingo had a decent season under these circumstances as a rookie--43 receptions on 83 yards, however, is not ideal.  Could mean separation is an issue, or timing.  Still, I think they should start him at the beginning of the year at least.  A  third round-fifth round WR like Rice, Walker, McCaffery etc. who can compete with Mingo but take over the slot role in 2025  could be to move here.  Instead of putting the #33rd pick on the seventh or eighth best WR, use those picks to fill other more pressing needs.  We have 2 good, established WRs who have had 1000 yard seasons.  Mingo had 418 yards as a rookie.  WR is a need, but are we blowing it out of proportion?

• Pie 2

19 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

think about it--we added starters at G, G, X WR, and (in a weird way) C.  That is 4/11 positions on offense.  On defense,  we have already added Robinson (DE), Clowney and Wonnum (OLBs), Jewell (ILB), Jackson (CB), and Fuller (S).  If you consider the fact that we are getting Thompson back from IR, that makes 7/11 new starters on defense.  Only Horn and Hill (CBs), Tuttle (DT) and Brown (DE) are returning starters. We could use a nickel and depth at CB, a "dawg" LB to play behind our 30-year-old ILBs, and I am not sure how they feel about edge.   On offense, we could upgrade Mingo, Chubba, and TE.  If I had to pick the top 3 needs in relation to this draft, I would go (Considering who we have and how much a rookie would upgrade the position-even if it is in a reserve role):

1. Nickel CB  (Hill is 33 and Horn is hurt all the time.  Not much behind them.

2.  ILB depth (the new Kickoff rule will value linebackers, in my opinion)

3. Z Receiver  (Mingo had a decent season under these circumstances as a rookie--43 receptions on 83 yards, however, is not ideal.  Could mean separation is an issue, or timing.  Still, I think they should start him at the beginning of the year at least.  A  third round-fifth round WR like Rice, Walker, McCaffery etc. who can compete with Mingo but take over the slot role in 2025  could be to move here.  Instead of putting the #33rd pick on the seventh or eighth best WR, use those picks to fill other more pressing needs.  We have 2 good, established WRs who have had 1000 yard seasons.  Mingo had 418 yards as a rookie.  WR is a need, but are we blowing it out of proportion?

Completely agree with WR need being blown out of proportion. Many on here are not gonna be too happy when we pass on WR at #33 and #39 come Friday night.  Look at what the team has done in FA prioritizing o-line and I think that continues into the draft. We keep both 2nd rounders and take a C with #33 or #39 

1 hour ago, Tr3ach said:

Good news is Canales was asked about what Xavier said during the interview today and he said that was a lead in question they asked everyone. 
So it looks like Xavier took that question and he thought he was gonna be drafted by us. 
Doesn’t seem to be the case and hopefully it isn’t at 33 or 39. 
Like you said I too wouldn’t mind Xavier as a luxury pick but that would mean 4th or 5th round. 

• Pie 1

23 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Completely agree with WR need being blown out of proportion. Many on here are not gonna be too happy when we pass on WR at #33 and #39 come Friday night.  Look at what the team has done in FA prioritizing o-line and I think that continues into the draft. We keep both 2nd rounders and take a C with #33 or #39 

Honestly I'm fine with continuing to build the line, but I still think we need more talent at the WR position, we assumed we were okay last year, and that was abject disaster. 

4 minutes ago, Jaxel said:

Honestly I'm fine with continuing to build the line, but I still think we need more talent at the WR position, we assumed we were okay last year, and that was abject disaster. 

we need pass catchers that actually fit what Bryce Young is going to do with the ball in an offense that fits him.    and we have glaring holes all over the roster in that regard.  Not just at WR.  

and just about the entire cast around him essentially expires after this season. 

year 1 - new to NFL

year 2 - new O, new OC, new HC

year 3 if things go great - entirely new skill players(but Mingo) most likely if things go well for Bryce

I've never run a NFL team, but that doesn't seem what you should be doing w/ a dude you just drafted #1 overall. 

• Pie 1