• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Select Xavier Legette WR - Pick 32, Round 1

3 minutes ago, top dawg said:

That is mostly wrong and let me tell you why. Shenault is no where in the vicinity as far as playing speed. He doesn't have near the acceleration. But...the main reason why they are different is that Shenault has poor ball tracking skills, while X has exceptional ball tracking skills, which consequently allows him to win those 50-50 balls. It also means that X is a legitimate threat down field, but Shenault is relegated to plays within five yards of the line of scrimmage. So X will be able to do what Shenault can, but Shenault can't do what X can. 

I really don't understand what happened with Shenault's ball tracking. I lived in CO during his college career and watched quite a few of his games. Much of his college career was winning downfield jump balls in traffic like some type of damn incredible hulk. CU's QB at the time had a big time arm but no accuracy.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm on record saying it's a horrible pick.

Now with that said, I'm rooting for the guy. He seems like a good dude and he's country as fug. He's so country he's gotta head back towards town to hunt. I can get down with that. LOL

He lost his mother in 2015 and his dad in 2019--if you have ever had that happen to you, it messes with your head.  I lost both my parents unexpectedly when they were in their fifties.  It messes with your head and takes a long time to emotionally overcome.  When he was in high school playing QB, his mother was dying.  In College, his father passes.  Yet he still worked to improve and when the demons left his head, he showed us what he can do--a snapshot, but I think being "home" in the NFL (near his family) is very important to him.  If he'd gone to Kansas City or Seattle, I am not sure it would have been good for him.  He seems like a good dude because he has been humbled.  Now, at games, his remaining family will be there--that is huge to someone like him.  I expect good things.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2

7 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Here is a point that few seem to value.  The coaching staff last season, for the most part, was the "dream team" of sorts, a bunch of older guys resting on their laurels.  What happens when you reach that point is you start leaning on your experience and you want to stay on the horse that brung you-less willing to accept newfangled concepts or adapt with the changing dynamics of the league.  With the exception of Evero, we were dinosaurs.

Canales has a young staff and he preaches coaching.  Even with Andy Dalton, the first day was going through basic QB mechanics.  He said he does not want to see coaches standing watching drills with their arms folded, meaning that he wants them to be teaching during the drills.  Bryce commented about Corbett--"Even on IR, he asks more questions than anyone else."  In the past, our players have not developed after drafting them, so I get the cynicism.  However, I think this is a new day, based on these tea leaves.  Positivity, teaching, learning--the culture has been toxic and many of us are poisoned with negativity. 

The draft is mining for talent--and you draft for 4-5 years.  We talk about "developmental" and "upside" but if the player is not up to your high level of standards, you want to bury him before day 1.  Part of being around a toxic culture. 

AND  Canales/Idzik were the WR coach/passing game coach that developed the raw DK Metcalf.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Here is a point that few seem to value.  The coaching staff last season, for the most part, was the "dream team" of sorts, a bunch of older guys resting on their laurels.  What happens when you reach that point is you start leaning on your experience and you want to stay on the horse that brung you-less willing to accept newfangled concepts or adapt with the changing dynamics of the league.  With the exception of Evero, we were dinosaurs.

Canales has a young staff and he preaches coaching.  Even with Andy Dalton, the first day was going through basic QB mechanics.  He said he does not want to see coaches standing watching drills with their arms folded, meaning that he wants them to be teaching during the drills.  Bryce commented about Corbett--"Even on IR, he asks more questions than anyone else."  In the past, our players have not developed after drafting them, so I get the cynicism.  However, I think this is a new day, based on these tea leaves.  Positivity, teaching, learning--the culture has been toxic and many of us are poisoned with negativity. 

The draft is mining for talent--and you draft for 4-5 years.  We talk about "developmental" and "upside" but if the player is not up to your high level of standards, you want to bury him before day 1.  Part of being around a toxic culture. 

In today's NFL you don't draft in the first and second rounds for development. That's a recipe for failure. Maybe you miss on players, but those guys have to come in and make an impact from day 1. Doesn't mean they won't still improve, but if they aren't able to contribute right away then that hurts a team in most cases.

That said, I agree with you that no one here has really developed in many years. Perhaps that changes with this staff.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

He lost his mother in 2015 and his dad in 2019--if you have ever had that happen to you, it messes with your head.  I lost both my parents unexpectedly when they were in their fifties.  It messes with your head and takes a long time to emotionally overcome.  When he was in high school playing QB, his mother was dying.  In College, his father passes.  Yet he still worked to improve and when the demons left his head, he showed us what he can do--a snapshot, but I think being "home" in the NFL (near his family) is very important to him.  If he'd gone to Kansas City or Seattle, I am not sure it would have been good for him.  He seems like a good dude because he has been humbled.  Now, at games, his remaining family will be there--that is huge to someone like him.  I expect good things.

I sort of disagree because had he gone to KC or Seattle he would have been surrounded by organizations that are very good at developing players. Here, that is definitely not the case.

Just now, jamos14 said:

AND  Canales/Idzik were the WR coach/passing game coach that developed the raw DK Metcalf.

I have been down on Campen for months--I wanted to see growth from Ekwonu, BC, Mays, Zavala--they got worse.  And bringing in a bunch of name brand, 70-year old coaches last year was impressive, but they are not effective teachers any more--Not sure they can relate to Gen Z players like younger people can. 

Just now, KSpan said:

In today's NFL you don't draft in the first and second rounds for development. That's a recipe for failure. Maybe you miss on players, but those guys have to come in and make an impact from day 1. Doesn't mean they won't still improve, but if they aren't able to contribute right away then that hurts a team in most cases.

That said, I agree with you that no one here has really developed in many years. Perhaps that changes with this staff.

He's a player that needs development on his route running.  But he can contribute immediately as well. 

He is already the best receiver at WR screens, reverse, slant.   He is already the best KR.

He needs polishing on the rest.

• Pie 1

How he pans out aside, making that move and getting the fifth year option was a savvy move. Very little risk for good gain. It’s the kind of move that’s only possible because Morgan was able to leverage his personal relationship with brand to pull it off and that is basically the antithesis of how the team has been run under tepper. 

it I was trying to start poo I’d say it buys them an extra year for Bryce to flame out definitively and to bring in an actual nfl caliber qb. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, KSpan said:

This has been a huge issue for us. We've had guys flash some potential but it seems like everyone we draft is as good as they're ever gonna be on the day we draft them. From that point on they either plateau or regress.

• Beer 1