• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Select Jonathan Brooks RB - 46th Pick, Round 2

5 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

I still think it makes more sense to keep him around this year anyways.

Brooks tore his ACL in November, even if he's ready to go for the start of camp, I'd like to see him on a low snap count early in the season and be part of a rotation all year, no matter how good he ends up looking.

We're not contending for the playoffs this year anyways, no need to risk putting too much of a workload on that knee before even the year mark of the injury.

Let him get through his rookie season in one piece as part of a 3 headed committee and then take the reins off him in year 2 and give him 20 or more touches a game as a 3 down back.

You are 100% right on this.

Keep Sanders because it's a waste of money not to and keep Blackshear and Cohen because we may well need them. And keep Chuba as the RB1, he deserves that. Ease Brooks into the NFL and then watch what happens.

• Pie 2

12 hours ago, Tbe said:

I like the idea of getting the best player in the draft at a position.

However, he said he *might* be ready to go by training camp.

For a rookie, that’s not what you want to hear if you need a starter.

You are right--we should want him in camp, but for a RB, I imagine film and learning the playbook will keep him busy during that time.  We are rolling the dice here a bit.

12 hours ago, CRA said:

Fitterer and Hurndog morphed into one

just not a fan of drafting RBs in top 2 rounds given what you can get later.  Then you add he just blew out his knee?  

It's basically proven to be a very bad strategy in the modern NFL. Productive guys can be had in rounds 3-5. I just have no idea what the fug we are doing. I really don't.

Just now, kungfoodude said:

It's basically proven to be a very bad strategy in the modern NFL. Productive guys can be had in rounds 3-5. I just have no idea what the fug we are doing. I really don't.

we are drafting uber athletic and talented guys that are raw and hopefully we mold them in time to be good/great players.  And we drafted a guy that we hope recovers from an injury.  Its swinging for the fences for sure and its also a damn good way to get your ass fired

• Beer 2

1 minute ago, Chad_Cota said:

We have the oline at least in the run blocking side to use him effectively. This will take pressure off of Bryce. This whole draft and offseason is about Bryce. 

yeah not seeing that in this draft, like at all.  Morgan seems to be drafting for 2025.  And I kind of am okay with it as long as those dudes work out.  Would love more players and more players that can play now but it is what it is

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

we are drafting uber athletic and talented guys that are raw and hopefully we mold them in time to be good/great players.  And we drafted a guy that we hope recovers from an injury.  Its swinging for the fences for sure and its also a damn good way to get your ass fired

The issue is we aren't Seattle, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, etc. We don't have a track record of development and we don't really have the luxury of developing players. We need guys to play and contribute. But we aren't taking guys that can play and contribute. We are taking more TMJ's and DJ Johnson's. Players that need a ton of work. 

Or just reaching on lower value positions like RB. 

New day, same Panthers.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

• Pie 2

Just now, kungfoodude said:

The issue is we aren't Seattle, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, etc. We don't have a track record of development and we don't really have the luxury of developing players. We need guys to play and contribute. But we aren't taking guys that can play and contribute. We are taking more TMJ's and DJ Johnson's. Players that need a ton of work. 

Or just reaching on lower value positions like RB. 

New day, same Panthers.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

100%  We passed on a poo load of talent that could play right fuging now but morgans strategy is obviously the long game.  Again I see both sides but one is high high risk and will get your ass fired quickly

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

100%  We passed on a poo load of talent that could play right fuging now but morgans strategy is obviously the long game.  Again I see both sides but one is high high risk and will get your ass fired quickly

Risks are fine but taking risks all the time will bite you. 

I think this all suits the Tepper mentality though. It's how he built his fortune. So when these guys act like they are smarter than the rest of the league, he gravitates towards that thinking. 

• Pie 1

41 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

We’ve been following Dan’s long game strategy for the past 3 years.

Look how many of our ‘development’ guys just walked in FA.

The idea of developing raw talent doesn’t ever seem to work in the NFL.

Rookie contracts are short, playing time scarce, and staff turnover is high.

13 minutes ago, Tbe said:

We’ve been following Dan’s long game strategy for the past 3 years.

Look how many of our ‘development’ guys just walked in FA.

The idea of developing raw talent doesn’t ever seem to work in the NFL.

Rookie contracts are short, playing time scarce, and staff turnover is high.

Unless you are the Ravens. They seem to have a knack for developing the talent they draft. 

Just now, MechaZain said:

I get it but I feel like dude's going to have to be Gurley 2.0 to justify redshirting him a year. We have more pressing needs and $30m already tied up in RBs.

How do you figure he will redshirt for a year? All indications are he will be ready for training camp.