• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I know it’s earlt but Dan THE MAN Morgan is IMPRESSING me

They are getting the players they have been interested in all offseason. We met with XL what 5-6 times? We brought in Brooks knowing he was the top RB in the draft. Wallace fits exactly what Evero wants from the ILB position. He is raw but can learn behind Shaq and replace him next year. We clearly liked him over every other LB not named Cooper or Colson. 
People comparing Wallace to DJ are short sighted. We panicked and moved up for DJ because there was a run on edge rushers and not many were left. We traded back and let the draft fall to us and picked Wallace over Wilson and Grey. We were clearly high on him. 2 completely different scenarios and two different positions. Plus Wallace is is young and Johnson was older. 

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

They are getting the players they have been interested in all offseason. We met with XL what 5-6 times? We brought in Brooks knowing he was the top RB in the draft. Wallace fits exactly what Evero wants from the ILB position. He is raw but can learn behind Shaq and replace him next year. We clearly liked him over every other LB not named Cooper or Colson. 
People comparing Wallace to DJ are short sighted. We panicked and moved up for DJ because there was a run on edge rushers and not many were left. We traded back and let the draft fall to us and picked Wallace over Wilson and Grey. We were clearly high on him. 2 completely different scenarios and two different positions. Plus Wallace is is young and Johnson was older. 

Fitterer was going to trade up sooner for Johnson had Dan not been able to convince him to wait. Fitterer panicked like you said and jumped because the edge run scared him. Fitterer always panicked.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I wanted a C but didn’t the JPJ have some kind of hip concern? I kept thinking of Bruce Nelson and just couldn’t get it up. 

57 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I mean kind of feels like the past drafts in a sense.  High upside but raw wr. Check.  High upside athletic but raw  linebacker check.  We will see the direction today but through 3 rds feels like deja vu

The thing that is different, we weren’t coming out short in our trading. They worked that board and the real time flow deftly and came out with a surplus.

Which sure, it cost us probably a little satisfaction this weekend but we needed that 2025 2nd round pick and it will look really good next year. So Morgan doing a very nicew two birds with one stone type of thing. We filled a Fitterer hole and made it look easy. But it ain’t easy. 

The move to 46 was technically a trade up but really it was a de facto trade down from 39. And it was a freaking great play. We can thank LA for sure but Morgan was walking boss and it is in his win column.

To me this is more the model of how to do it without ruining yourself with trade deficits. Or trying to pull off these desperation high risk gambles that when you are wrong can set you back 5 or more seasons. That we are about to find out about this year I hope. 

Edited by strato
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1

14 hours ago, Tr3ach said:

I was ok with the hire at the time.  My main concerns were his time here before his promotion and if he was part of all the decisions and the fact we kept all the same scouting department.   As far as my personal opinion and the draft so far I definitely dont feel good right now.  This isnt a modern nfl draft.

The coach has a system 

he evaluated the current roster and you see all the changes made 

…his picks are to allow him to execute his system…the Gm is making those picks 

it isn’t to please 

1.  Those who think he isn’t running  a modern system 

2. the mock draft people

3 or the talking heads 

He evaluated the team and said with action what we all know…there is zero offensive skilled talent on this team…zero….plus a qb not exactly skilled in long passes…don’t think he doesn’t know that …and oline pieces that were a mish mash 

what would you have him do….go vertical…without a qb to support it…go all receivers with the same qb who can’t get the ball to them …let’s be real here   Young is neither mahomes or Allen 

if young falls, he will be shelved after year 2 and at least the foundation will be set for the ‘modern offense’

Edited by raleigh-panther
  • Pie 1

27 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

The coach has a system 

he evaluated the current roster and you see all the changes made 

…his picks are to allow him to execute his system…the Gm is making those picks 

it isn’t to please 

1.  Those who think he isn’t running  a modern system 

2. the mock draft people

3 or the talking heads 

He evaluated the team and said with action what we all know…there is zero offensive skilled talent on this team…zero….plus a qb not exactly skilled in long passes…don’t think he doesn’t know that …and oline pieces that were a mish mash 

what would you have him do….go vertical…without a qb to support it…go all receivers with the same qb who can’t get the ball to them …let’s be real here   Young is neither mahomes or Allen 

if young falls, he will be shelved after year 2 and at least the foundation will be set for the ‘modern offense’

They went vertical with Legette.  That's the one thing he is mainly good at.

25 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

The seam as well with the TE

Yep, in the grand scheme of things most of the picks dont fit Young's strengths or Canales saying he wants the ball out quick.   Brooks fits but thats about it.  This to me just really feels like a late 90s nfl draft.   I hope the players end up being great though.

1 minute ago, Basbear said:

Dan drafting form his era, 2nd round RB and 3rd round LB huge let down. 

Just like Marty gave me a hernaiy would still draft.....

Doubt his UDFA class changes the D grade. 

the trading up for a hurt running back in the 2nd is a head scratcher all things considered,  but recouping a 2nd for 25 puts this draft class at a solid c+/B

• Beer 1

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

the trading up for a hurt running back in the 2nd is a head scratcher all things considered,  but recouping a 2nd for 25 puts this draft class at a solid c+/B

That was a legit great value trade, no question. His best move followed by sanders in the 4th.

Im just a position value nerd and grading early is wrong, but I had to express my concerns with the herniay like draft. 

Just now, Basbear said:

That was a legit great value trade, no question. His best move followed by sanders in the 4th.

Im just a position value nerd and grading early is wrong, but I had to express my concerns with the herniay like draft. 

the first 3 picks of a hurt rb and 2 developmental picks set this class back a bit.   Sanders and the 2nd right the ship a bit but out of the gates morgan needed to get his sea legs

• Pie 1