• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How short a leash will Young be on?

Jmac

20 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Agreed.  I would expect most realistic fans to tamper their expectations.  There is a scenario where we simply over drafted him at 1, but he still has a solid career and can become a franchise QB.  That is what I am curious to find out.  Does he have what it takes to become the guy.  If he can somehow do any of the stuff you stated in year two then fantastic, but that's not where my head is at judging by his rookie play and the state of the franchise.  

that's not where my head expects things to be.....but realistically, it's going to make Bryce uniquely different than all his peers at #1.  Even the "bad" ones.  

Did we overdraft him? I think so.  But that doesn't really matter.  The org, fans, media, etc largely is going to acknowledge what he was drafted to be.  QB is weird.  I think you could get away with drafting a DE #1 overall and he end up being a Charles Johnson caliber DE (slow progression where he sort of comes into his own in year 4) vs a Julius Peppers.   Hard to imagine QB being treated as such.  I think if Bryce has a future of being "solid"....it likely ends up being w/ another team.  His expectations, fair or not, or for more than solid here. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

14 minutes ago, CRA said:

that's not where my head expects things to be.....but realistically, it's going to make Bryce uniquely different than all his peers at #1.  Even the "bad" ones.  

Did we overdraft him? I think so.  But that doesn't really matter.  The org, fans, media, etc largely is going to acknowledge what he was drafted to be.  QB is weird.  I think you could get away with drafting a DE #1 overall and he end up being a Charles Johnson caliber DE (slow progression where he sort of comes into his own in year 4) vs a Julius Peppers.   Hard to imagine QB being treated as such.  I think if Bryce has a future of being "solid"....it likely ends up being w/ another team.  His expectations, fair or not, or for more than solid here. 

I do not think our expectations matter to David Tepper and the FO. It will come down to whether he meets theirs and when they decide to move on when he doesn't. We are just along for the ride.

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I do not think our expectations matter to David Tepper and the FO. It will come down to whether he meets theirs and when they decide to move on when he doesn't. We are just along for the ride.

Kind of agree. If the team starts winning with him at QB and is capable of making a run then they are going to be satisfied for now. 

Just now, ForJimmy said:

Kind of agree. If the team starts winning with him at QB and is capable of making a run then they are going to be satisfied for now. 

That's my theory. I would be surprised if they did it any other way. But you never know with Tepper. If he's truly letting Dan run things then who knows. 

with all the resources we've poured into our offense. Hunt, Lewis, Johnson, Leggette, Sanders, and Brooks. Half the offensive spots have improved and we have a coach who made Geno Smith and Baker look solid. If we can't get to 6 wins this season and show a little life I'll be disappointed. Really cheering for the kid though. Father and Brother in law both went to Bama so I've been watching and cheering for him for years.

21 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

David Tepper is not a patient man.   He is a results now guy.  And Tepper IMO is clearly influenced by the outside world.   If Bryce continues to be bad, his team continues to be bad, the outside world continues to rub it in his face and let him know......he is going to make moves.  Ego.  He has proven that over and over again in just about all aspects of how he does things. 

I think overall, the collective outside world has longer leash than Tepper uses.  

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

David Tepper is not a patient man.   He is a results now guy.  And Tepper IMO is clearly influenced by the outside world.   If Bryce continues to be bad, his team continues to be bad, the outside world continues to rub it in his face and let him know......he is going to make moves.   He has proven that over and over again in just about all aspects of how he does things. 

I think overall, the collective outside world his a long leash than Tepper uses. 

That seems generally his style, but he might make an exception for his hand picked QB

25 minutes ago, CRA said:

David Tepper is not a patient man.   He is a results now guy.  And Tepper IMO is clearly influenced by the outside world.   If Bryce continues to be bad, his team continues to be bad, the outside world continues to rub it in his face and let him know......he is going to make moves.  Ego.  He has proven that over and over again in just about all aspects of how he does things. 

I think overall, the collective outside world has longer leash than Tepper uses.  

You could be right. Tepper is the wildcard here.

11 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

You could be right. Tepper is the wildcard here.

Charlotte FC on 3rd HC

Panther on 4th HC.  3rd GM.  5th starting QB entering a season. 

parted with CMC, Burns, DJ Moore and every big name/star Carolina drafted

Tons of shakeup in his front office and corporate staff. 

The fans will show more patience with Bryce than Tepper based on what we know of Tepper IMO. 

34 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

That seems generally his style, but he might make an exception for his hand picked QB

maybe. 

but everything is handpicked by him.  all the soccer coaches he fired.  all the football coaches he fired (minus Ron).  GMs.  all the front office folks.   the plans he makes to build facilities and then not. 

Tepper quickly parts with all his handpicked people when they don't produce. 

and it's not like Bryce is some lab built QB that you can sort of go back and convince yourself on and blame everyone else around him for why it doesn't work. 

• Beer 1

Last year was a complete train wreck with the coaching staff, OL, and WR play (outside of Thielen).  Bryce will get the entire season and if he shows improvement, he'll be the guy in 2025 as well.  If he looks lost and confused, the Panthers will be picking 1st overall in 2025 anyway and they'll be taking a QB.  

I quit dedicating my Sundays to Panthers football until they prove to me that they are worth watching.  So if they are terrible again this year, it really won't impact me.  Tepper is very unlikeable and the Panthers keep trading all of my favorite players.  Dan Morgan is giving me hope again.  

• Pie 1

23 hours ago, bandu said:

it's

already going to be painful enough watching Caleb Williams throw TD passes to DJ Moore on a regular basis week in & week out   & naturally not sit there & reflect back & say to yourself woulda shoulda coulda especially if Bryce Young never looks remotely similar to a #1 pick 

If we didn't draft Young and had kept DJ, we probably wouldn't have ended up with the #1 pick though. Probably pick somewhere in the  6 to 10 range.