• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young #34 on Chris Simms' top 40 list

On 5/15/2024 at 8:56 PM, frankw said:

Simms is so wishy washy at times it's difficult to listen or take him seriously. But unfortunately he is correct on most of what he's saying about Bryce.

Also putting him below Darnold is brutal. At the same time. I just can't argue with it. Darnold at least has the phsyical ability to put the ball wherever he wants it. You don't draft a QB #1 overall if he doesn't have the kind of arm talent that wows you on the tape.

Darnod's last six games of 2022 are better than anything bryce will ever produce. 

• Pie 4
  • Flames 1

Even all the rookie QB's who haven't played a single snap ranked above him?

I really hope Bryce is using all this as motivation in some capacity. Because if this doesn't motivate him I don't know what will.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

36 minutes ago, frankw said:

I really hope Bryce is using all this as motivation in some capacity. Because if this doesn't motivate him I don't know what will.

He confirmed in his presser he doesn’t look for extra motivation from being left out of stuff like primetime games and whatnot. That he’s just there to do his darnest.

Good optics answer, but it is nice to have a guy who doesn’t like being disrespected and takes it as motivation. I want fire and an edge to this team - hope someone on offense can bring it.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

8 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

He confirmed in his presser he doesn’t look for extra motivation from being left out of stuff like primetime games and whatnot. That he’s just there to do his darnest.

Good optics answer, but it is nice to have a guy who doesn’t like being disrespected and takes it as motivation. I want fire and an edge to this team - hope someone on offense can bring it.

if rookie Cam Newton walked into the Panthers org today.....you got to think Bryce Young is the type player Cam would be talking about when he starts talking in house mentality.  Just saying. 

In an offseason fixated on dawg talk, Bryce Young said he spent the offseason doing everything except thinking about football and doing football stuff.  Other teams got dudes talking about doing all nighters doing nothing but thinking about the game. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

Just now, CRA said:

if rookie Cam Newton walked into the Panthers org today.....you got to think Bryce Young is the type player Cam would be talking about when he starts talking in house mentality.  Just saying. 

In an offseason fixated on dawg talk, Bryce Young said he spent the offseason doing except thinking about football.  Other teams got dudes talking about doing all nighters doing nothing but thinking about the game. 

Yep. I’m not trying to be an excessive Bryce dissenter, but it is pretty apparent he’s not one of those hyper football junkies. He’s a very even keel dude that approaches it professionally and calmly. Not game junkie. For him it’s his job and he’s there to perform as best he can. 

On 5/15/2024 at 8:56 PM, frankw said:

Simms is so wishy washy at times it's difficult to listen or take him seriously. But unfortunately he is correct on most of what he's saying about Bryce.

Also putting him below Darnold is brutal. At the same time. I just can't argue with it. Darnold at least has the phsyical ability to put the ball wherever he wants it. You don't draft a QB #1 overall if he doesn't have the kind of arm talent that wows you on the tape.

Darnold put it together here when Wilks took over. The Saints game was awful but somehow it was awful for both teams. Neither wanted to win. 

Had Ickey not completely forgot how to play football in the 4th quarter against the Bucs, Darnold takes the Panthers to the playoffs. 

I would trade Bryce for Darnold right now. Darnold with Canales and a heavy play action, ground and pound style offense would be good. 

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, Bear Hands said:

Yep. I’m not trying to be an excessive Bryce dissenter, but it is pretty apparent he’s not one of those hyper football junkies. He’s a very even keel dude that approaches it professionally and calmly. Not game junkie. For him it’s his job and he’s there to perform as best he can. 

Bryce Young is Eli Manning-ish IMO.  I mean, it's not that you can't be successful with a QB wired like that.  But Bryce Young doesn't check so many of the textbook boxes you look for. 

Eli didn't check that box either.  Problem is Bryce just doesn't check so many of them.  They add up at this level.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

12 minutes ago, CRA said:

Bryce Young is Eli Manning-ish IMO.  I mean, it's not that you can't be successful with a QB wired like that.  But Bryce Young doesn't check so many of the textbook boxes you look for. 

Eli didn't check that box either.  Problem is Bryce just doesn't check so many of them.  They add up at this level.

That’s a pretty good comp mentality wise. And you’re right, to expand on that— if you’re not the ra-ra team hype man, not the late night film guy, not the physically imposing guy, not the cannon, not the hyper athletic playmaker..it gets tough when there’s so few boxes that you check and the ceiling can only be so high.  He can be successful in the right environment but that’s not what you want with this type of investment.

Its going to be a hugely important year for him. 

• Beer 2

I think Bryce has a little swagger to him when he gets comfortable. Watch some of those Bama games. I saw him doing the “karate kid crane” celebration with Metchie, getting fired up with his WRs etc… 

There were stories of his locker room speech which none of us saw so who knows. I saw a little (pun intended) glimpse when he did the Cam first down taunt after his run. There are some clips of him and CJ going back and forth on who is the better basketball player. I think on the field he will show some of it if he can get comfortable. The scripted, reserved Bryce is what you see in interviews and press conferences because he has been coached that way most of his life. 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, frankw said:

Him and Canales both said they don't use this kind of stuff. Not into negative motivation or something. Seems a little counter intuitive when the gm is trying to otherwise build a team of dawgs

• Beer 1

7 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Him and Canales both said they don't use this kind of stuff. Not into negative motivation or something. Seems a little counter intuitive when the gm is trying to otherwise build a team of dawgs

It does seem to convey inconsistent messaging.

But I'm going to give them at least the first quarter of the regular season to show me some edge. If it's more of the same I'm going to call it like I see it. Some folks are caught up in emotional attachments I'm beyond all that. I just want a winning culture and whoever we need to replace to get there is what should be done. It's always about the betterment of the franchise.

• Beer 1