• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kiper's Latest Mock: Brockers to Panthers

mav1234

#9: Carolina Panthers Record: 5-11

Michael Brockers*, DT, LSU

Carolina also has needs at receiver, cornerback and guard, but coach Ron Rivera needs a disruptive force along the defensive interior, and Brockers can be just that. He's a massive presence and strong, quick and aware as a run-stuffer. While he'll never be a great pass-rusher, Brockers has more potential in that area than his college production would seem to indicate.

From http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/page/McShayMock2.0/2012-nfl-mock-draft-defenders-balance-top-10-todd-mcshay-latest-projection

His top ten:

1)Luck

2)Matt Kalil

3)Riley Reiff

4)RGIII

5)Claiborne

6)Blackmon

7)Coples

8)Melvin Ingram

9)Brockers

10)Courtney Upshaw

I've warmed to the Brockers pick but I still feel like I know very little about him; since he played at LSU it's hard to find as many videos of him as it is some other prospects (he split a lot of time from what I understand).

However everyone seems to think he is filled with potential. I didn't think DT would be a good direction to go originally and I am still not convinced, but given the way he has his mock go I wouldn't be upset with this pick.

From http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/page/McShayMock2.0/2012-nfl-mock-draft-defenders-balance-top-10-todd-mcshay-latest-projection

His top ten:

1)Luck

2)Matt Kalil

3)Riley Reiff

4)RGIII

5)Claiborne

6)Blackmon

7)Coples

8)Melvin Ingram

9)Brockers

10)Courtney Upshaw

I've warmed to the Brockers pick but I still feel like I know very little about him; since he played at LSU it's hard to find as many videos of him as it is some other prospects (he split a lot of time from what I understand).

However everyone seems to think he is filled with potential. I didn't think DT would be a good direction to go originally and I am still not convinced, but given the way he has his mock go I wouldn't be upset with this pick.

I'm hugely rooting for the BPA being d-line, with our first rounder. Hardy showed some potential, but I'm not in love with any of the backups, and if we can build the d-line back to what it was under Peppers/Jenkins/Rucker/etc, we'll be in much better shape.

My impressions of Brockers (which are not from too much study of him) is that his best qualities are size and strength, he seems to rely on that much more than technique. In a lot of his games he commanded two blockers. He is very aware vs. the run and a lot of times opposing teams run it around him and if they do, two blockers instantly size him up. His downfalls are he couldn't penetrate to save his life and if by chance he got into the backfield he is not a fast DT (in any area really).

He is a pure run stuffer, big body. While I think his potential is really high I still think someone with a bit more speed would be better. Perhaps he can change this in the pros. I can't say It'll disappointing if we take him, but I think he is going to need some time to become really effective, and isn't Fua or Mcclain suppose to be our future run stopper? Also, didn't we sigh Edwards to be a run stopper?

My impressions of Brockers (which are not from too much study of him) is that his best qualities are size and strength, he seems to rely on that much more than technique.
he's still really raw and new at DT. the technique is being learned and from what coaches have said he's a quick study. he redshirted his freshman year so that he could work on not just getting bigger, but learning the position. he went into LSU as essentially a OLB/DE hybrid.

he's got the work ethic and coachability to learn the technique. it will come.

In a lot of his games he commanded two blockers. He is very aware vs. the run and a lot of times opposing teams run it around him and if they do, two blockers instantly size him up.
yeah, i do think that this is his strongest suit. he seems to be able to handle them well enough. even if he falls to the ground he's able to take down the RB. that's where his awareness and strength come into play.
His downfalls are he couldn't penetrate to save his life and if by chance he got into the backfield he is not a fast DT (in any area really).

He is a pure run stuffer, big body. While I think his potential is really high I still think someone with a bit more speed would be better.

actually i thought he was pretty fast for a guy his size and for playing the position. he moves really well and is really athletic. that's what most people have noticed about him. just looking at that INT he made will let you know the agility he has.

he's been clocked at a 4.86 40 time, fwiw. generally a 4.9 guy.

as far as penetrating...he pushes the blockers back into the QBs space and gets his hand up. he does quite enough to pressure the QB. he's not one of those guys who will rack up a lot of sack numbers. his strength is in being able to collapse the pocket and rush the QB even if he has a couple blockers on him.

Perhaps he can change this in the pros. I can't say It'll disappointing if we take him, but I think he is going to need some time to become really effective,
he'll be an instant upgrade in the run defense. he'll put as much or more pressure on the pocket than any DT we have right now. and remember, he's proven an ability to pick things up quickly. he comes with a lot of natural talent and ability and a solid drive to get better. you trust his attitude and the coaches ability to get him where he needs to be.
and isn't Fua or Mcclain suppose to be our future run stopper? Also, didn't we sigh Edwards to be a run stopper?
i don't know about mcclain being a run stuffer. fua...maybe. i don't see him having more of an upside than brockers in any aspect.

re: edwards....old and coming off a biceps tear. not sure how long he will last. he will be valuable in helping along whoever we have with him at DT.

point is, if brockers is as talented as people believe and has as much upside as is thought, you don't pass up talent like that because you have the likes of edwards, fua, or mcclain on your roster.

Mayock has Brockers as his #3 DT. I don't watch college football, so someone fill me in on what it is that is up with that?
mayock hasn't watched either.

he made that ranking without watching any tape. brockers wasn't expected to come out and so people are racing to catch up. mayock is one of them. he doesn't watch much in the way of underclassmen until later. i don't think he had even watched RG3 when he made those rankings either.

Mayock has Brockers as his #3 DT. I don't watch college football, so someone fill me in on what it is that is up with that?

A few places have him similarly rated with Still. Generally the scouting sites have him rated 2nd behind Still.

The thing with them is that Still is more polished and more of a finished product, where as Brockers in 2-3 years could be a pro bowl player if developed right.

Kiper is such an idiot. Not that I disagree with Brockers but for him to say "he'll never be a great pass rusher" is ignorant. Any DT that can get through the middle of the line and get pressure up the middle consistently is automatically a great pass rusher because of the angle. I think Brockers has a lot of potential to be a great DT he just turned 22...

Right now I still think that if Coples does well at the combine then he's the better pick

Archived