• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Years Of Marty Hurney

unicar15

Free Agent Misses: Signing Mike Wahle, Signing Ken Lucas, Losing Deon Grant, Signing Justin Hartwig, Signing Shaun Williams, Losing Will Witherspoon, Signing Deke Cooper (who was our only FA that season..still couldn't believe that dude started for us), Signing DJ Hackett, Signing Landon Johnson, Losing Julius Peppers, Losing Richard Marshall.

Other things that piss me off about Hurney:

Took 3 damn years to even attempt to find a replacement for Keary Colbert and Drew Carter and NEVER upgraded the TE position, which could have helped our QBs immensely over the years.

Not convincing JR to fire Fox sooner. The guy had basically run this team into the ground by then and had alienated his best player (Peppers).

Contracts that shouldn't have happened: Jake Delhomme (extension after meltdown), Deangelo Williams 21 million guaranteed, franchising Peppers and cash-strapping the team in the process, Dan Morgan, Olindo Mare.

Draft Nonsense:

Trading future first round pick for Everette Brown (and passing on Connor Barwin) - Just to add a little more humiliation...we could have drafted JPP with the 11th overall pick in 2010. OUCH!

Trading future picks for Armanti Edwards (when he was projected as an UDFA)

Drafting Corvey Irving at all should be a fireable offense.

Missing on Carl Nicks and then drafting two consecutive OL one round later (Schwartz and Barnedeu)

Drafting Dwayne Jarrett ahead of Steve Smith and James Jones.

Taking Rashad Butler while passing on Jahri Evans THEN passing on Owen Daniels and then taking Jeff King.

Drafting Eric Shelton ahead of...Vincent Jackson (when we had Colbert and Carter) and Frank Gore (when we had Deshaun Foster) - One of the all-time stupid Hurney evals.

Drafting Keary Colbert at all...Really you thought that guy could play in the league?

Rarely (and by rarely I mean like...twice in 10 years) drafting a legitimate starter after round 3.

There are more but I decided to stop.

dude, Mike Wahle was a beast in Green Bay and was the best Olineman to hit the FA market that year. He was on the downward side of his career and I recall getting a few good years outta him

Ken Lucas and Gamble both had 8 INTs the year he was signed.. Lucas was also a leader on D too

Hartwig just caught the injury bug.. same thing with Dan Morgan

as far as draft misses- there are 30 other teams that missed the Carl Nicks pick in the 5th round, as well as misses in the 3rd with Rashad Butler. hinesight is 20-20 and to look back and put that as a black mark on his record is stupid.

There are legit beefs in there= Everette Brown, Peppers situation, postponed help at WR position, Armanti Edwards- yes, i agree.

Hurney is not blemish free, but he is still our GM and im behind his picks this year and players on our squad he has assembled.

One more thing: the re-signing of Williams last year was a good move. Having two elite running backs who enjoy playing together is a good thing. And if Hurney had let Williams walk and he had run for 1200 yards with Denver, I bet it would have made your list of free agent mistakes.

disagree

Lucas was a good pickup. All anyone wants to remember is the 2nd half of one season when he was scapegoated when teams figured out he was on an island since Godfrey provided zero help

Agree to disagree...you can spin these pickups however you want but the fact is we have 3 playoff appearances in 10 years and havent done much right outside the first three rounds of the draft...to me that's mediocre at best

Ever since Fox left seems like Hurney has been one of the best G.M's in the leauge.

He hired Rivera/Chudzinski/Mcdermott,which did pretty good for a first year coaching staff that's D was destroyed by injuries. drafted Cam,2nd pick was gone, used 3rd to Get Olsen,signed Shockey, kept all of our big free agents,.... Our record does not indicate how good we really were. Lost a lot of close ones last year. Hung with the best teams in the league.

I am excited about what we have now in Rivera/Hurney, and forgive Hurney for anything stupid he did while under the Fox/Hurney era.

Just curious for all of those who think he sucks, how many GM's can you name off the top of your head that you'd rather have?

For a guy that some fans hate so much he seems to have a ton of respect around the league.

And Bill Polian went out of his way to praise him when they were discussing the Panthers on ESPN during the draft.

The Edwards pick was a bad pick, no argument there. The Peppers situation was driven by Fox's desire to come back in 09 with the same team he had in 08 that finished 12-4, so they extended Delhomme to free up cap room and franchised Peppers. We all know Pep was allowed to walk the next year because JR wasn't gonna spend big money before the lockout. It's true the Panthers have made the playoffs 3 times in 10 years, but remember that Hurney became GM when the team was coming off a 1-15 season with very little talent. Recently he's had to rebuild a second time after the no-spending lame duck disaster of 2010. Check back in 5 years, I'll bet there will be several more playoff appearances. If not, then replacing Hurney might be justified.

He is an average GM that overvalues the RB and LB position.

His draft trade up' and reaches, along with his extensions for past play, are the things that drive me insane.

The AE/EB/Delhomme/DWill are just the latest things to make me run for my pitchfork and torch.

The Edwards pick was a bad pick, no argument there. The Peppers situation was driven by Fox's desire to come back in 09 with the same team he had in 08 that finished 12-4, so they extended Delhomme to free up cap room and franchised Peppers. We all know Pep was allowed to walk the next year because JR wasn't gonna spend big money before the lockout. It's true the Panthers have made the playoffs 3 times in 10 years, but remember that Hurney became GM when the team was coming off a 1-15 season with very little talent. Recently he's had to rebuild a second time after the no-spending lame duck disaster of 2010. Check back in 5 years, I'll bet there will be several more playoff appearances. If not, then replacing Hurney might be justified.

Sorry, but in the real world you don't keep someone on your staff for 15 years if they are average.

probably the biggest knock on him is his infatuation with running backs and linebackers which tend to not be great value picks in the first round.

he drafted arguably the best center in the league in the second, has hit on a bunch of late round offensive linemen, and brought in no-name FAs that have contributed in big ways (keydrick vincent in 2008, jeremy bridges in 2006).

of course, a lot of that has to do with scouting. but if you're going to attribute the whiffs to him it'd make no sense to not credit the hits.

I don't buy the running backs and linebackers thing. Yes he's picked 3 linebackers and 2 running backs in the first round over these 15 years. But isnt it possible that he made those picks because those were the available players most able to help the team? They have all been good productive players. You might say he should have drafted a CB instead of Beason, or a WR instead of Stewart, but what if there werent any good players available at those positions? You want a mediocre DB instead of a great LB?

Archived