• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"Expert" Draft Grades: POST EM IF YOU GOT EM

SmootsDaddy89

B

Summary

My biggest issue with this draft is that they failed to address the secondary, either to find Chris Gamble’s replacement or at least add depth, as well as failing to add a potential stud receiver.

Granted, they have about 10 receivers on the roster right now, unfortunately only two of them are above average. Ted Ginn is a return man, Domenik Hixon can’t stay healthy, David Gettis and Armanti Edwards are just stop gap players, and the rest will be lucky to be with the team for more than one more season.

Still, the Panthers are showing that they are committed to a shut down rush defense........

http://nflsoup.com/2013-nfl-draft-grades-carolina-panthers/

B-

Carolina Panthers: The Panthers wasted no time in taking care of their greatest hole at defensive tackle, and did it twice. They can plug in Utah's Star Lotulelei and Purdue's Kawann Short as complementary impact players inside to help free up 2012 first-round linebacker Luke Kuechly—the reigning rookie of the year—to have a bigger second season inside. With only three other picks, however, they didn't get the extra receiver they could have used.

http://aol.sportingn...steelers-eagles

who's this idiot

C

Dacitykats

Rookie

reputation_balance.gif

icon1.gif

panthers get a C.

why take a LB and RB when that is one of the deepest spots on your roster, left lots of weapons that the QB could use and secondary players on the board.

the first 3 picks where great, last 2 hurt the grade. user_offline.gifquote.gif

some chicago fan sets him straight

ChiFan24

2011 SWDC Mock Draft Champ

Pro Bowler

ChiFan24.gif

reputation_pos.gifreputation_pos.gifreputation_pos.gifreputation_pos.gifreputation_pos.gifreputation_highpos.gifreputation_highpos.gifreputation_highpos.gifreputation_highpos.gifreputation_highpos.gifreputation_highpos.gif

icon1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dacitykats viewpost.gif

panthers get a C.

why take a LB and RB when that is one of the deepest spots on your roster, left lots of weapons that the QB could use and secondary players on the board.

the first 3 picks where great, last 2 hurt the grade. If you think the first 3 picks were great, yet you somehow only give the draft a C, you need to change your grading system.

If the Bears had drafted Arthur Brown in the first and Kyle Long in the second, I would have given their draft an A. So it's hard for me to give them a terribly bad grade for getting Long and passing on Brown for another linebacker when pretty much every other team did the same. And I thought their day 3 was awesome. B-/C+ area.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56593

remember you better not fudge that 6th round pick because that tarnishes your entire draft according to dacitykats

Carolina Panthers

Like the Falcons, the Panthers identified their biggest area of concern and addressed it. The Panthers erased their biggest need with a "Star" who fell into their lap. Like Luke Kuechly a year ago, Lotulelei will prove an immediate difference-maker. His power could be complemented perfectly by the quickness from Kawann Short, a natural playmaker who fell to the second round only because of questons about his motor. Surrounded by this much talent, however, he could prove more productive than Lotulelei. The Panthers added intriguing talent with their other three picks. Linebacker A.J. Klein, like Short, was an absolute playmaker at Iowa State as was Oregon running back Kenjon Barner, whose first crack at playing time might come as a returner. Guard Edmund Kugbila could surprise, as he possesses intriguing tools. Grade: B

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/22159924/2013-nfl-draft-nfc-south-grades

Draft grades at this point rarely makes sense. The problem is that there are two objects to the draft, one is of course player evaluation, the other is really the game of the draft. Sadly a lot of so called expert have no idea about this.

If you trade down to pick up an extra second so you can plug three holes in the first two (think Beason, Kalil and Jerret) you have played a great draft as long as you did not pick any of the players to early.

If you pick a guy named Brady in the 2nd you played the game terrible (as he would have been available in the 5th, the fact that he from a player evaluation stand point would have been a great first overall pick is not considered here, as there is no way to know).

The fact the Jerret stuck so bad I do not even remember how to spell his name, grated I am a terrible speller, is in the player evaluation part of the draft as well and impossible to tell at the moment all the expert was A+ing us for that draft (grated two pro-bowlers from one draft is at least an A).

My grade of how Gettleman played the draft. I say a solid B, 4 out of 5 projected earlier than picked, one reach. One major hole plugged. Not great, no trade down to get extra picks and still pick up the players wanted, but no trading next years first for a 2nd either. Like I said a solid B

Kiper did give us the second lowest grade, only above the Bills.

c_plus.png

needs: CB, DT, FS, RT, WR

Summary: The strategy was pretty clear for the Panthers: find some players that can help stop the run. Last year, even with the addition of Luke Kuechly, they were simply awful up front. Well, Star Lotulelei was the best run-stuffing defensive tackle in this class, and is the definition of a player that can clear the runway for your linebackers to make stops at the line of scrimmage. Running in the A-gaps is not happening with Lotulelei around. Kawann Short is a nice depth addition as well, and can spell Dwan Edwards. Earlier this year I had Short going a lot higher, but this was a pretty good class of D-tackles at the top. Edmund Kugbila provides depth at guard, but I didn't have that as a big need. Kenjon Barner is a pretty complete running back in a smaller package. My big question: Where is the help at cornerback? I think it's a pretty big need, and there were a couple corners available I thought could have been taken ahead of Short. It's hard to hit all your needs, but I thought they did a great job on one big one, but totally neglected another.

Kiper did give us the second lowest grade, only above the Bills.

c_plus.png

needs: CB, DT, FS, RT, WR

Summary: The strategy was pretty clear for the Panthers: find some players that can help stop the run. Last year, even with the addition of Luke Kuechly, they were simply awful up front. Well, Star Lotulelei was the best run-stuffing defensive tackle in this class, and is the definition of a player that can clear the runway for your linebackers to make stops at the line of scrimmage. Running in the A-gaps is not happening with Lotulelei around. Kawann Short is a nice depth addition as well, and can spell Dwan Edwards. Earlier this year I had Short going a lot higher, but this was a pretty good class of D-tackles at the top. Edmund Kugbila provides depth at guard, but I didn't have that as a big need. Kenjon Barner is a pretty complete running back in a smaller package. My big question: Where is the help at cornerback? I think it's a pretty big need, and there were a couple corners available I thought could have been taken ahead of Short. It's hard to hit all your needs, but I thought they did a great job on one big one, but totally neglected another.

So if Kiper was a GM, he'd draft according to NEED?

OK. :lol:

Archived