• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Begin Head Coach Search?

carp24000

I'd bet against it being a deliberate leak.

The Panthers are notoriously tight-lipped and don't really like it when people peek behind the curtain.

Having it out there means people will ask questions they probably don't want to answer.

I suspect if it was something they wanted Rivera to know, they'd just tell him (and who knows, they might have)

The Hurney-led Panthers were tight lipped, Gettleman might believe in using the media to send messages. 

i think his family is smart enough anyways to know he had to win this year, and losing isn't good.  they knew he was heavy on the hot seat no doubt

I don't know. As a husband and dad I know you try to shelter them from stuff as much as you can. Until now it could have all been brushed off as speculation.

I think Rivera was told he would be fired if we lost to the Giants... it's the only thing that explains his over-emotional response after the game which included him having a moment with his wife as he exited the field. I don't think distractions are a problem for Rivera, he has a players mentality and this might explain Gettleman's motivational tactics. 

• Pie 1

I LOVE it.... I was telling my wife this is good because it wont allow RR to get placid and go back to his ways. He needs to just had the keys to Cam and let him continue to do what he did best in the past- WIN..

Now he cant afford to be conservative...

LOVE IT...

Exactly!!

Between Chip Kelly struggling and the Schiano fiasco, im scared of college coaches. I still say Lovie Smith, closest thing to a sure bet you will get in awhile. He can be our Andy Reid.

the difference being, Shaw runs a pro-style offense and defense at Stanford and seems to be a player's type coach like Kelly

• Pie 1

Gettlemen has never been a GM before....

He is an old rookie GM.

The same week they trade away a veteran presence his FO leaks this? On our way to a HUGE road game? Sounds dumb to me...

Did they leak it or did the potential csndidate leak it?

It's a tough game.  Win all the time or be open to immediate replacement.  Guys know that.  If guys don't, they learn real quick.  

Our ownership in my opinion is more forgiving and loyal than most.  Surely at least some of the motivation of this is financial but in the end we don't witness the harshness of this game like some others do.  Everybody likes Riv as a guy.  That has been discussed ad nauseam. But if there is even the slightest chance that he will be replaced, and I believe the odds are much greater than slight, I applaud a GM who is getting ahead of the game.  No reason to wait until after the Super Bowl to get started.  

Sure, first impression is disappointment at the lack of discretion.  Fans are worried about winning games this week and this year.  In reality however these are big boys making big boy money who need to constantly demonstrate their ability to not only operate in the face of pressure but flourish in it.

Whether Ron is fighting for this job in Charlotte or his future in the biz anywhere else, we will all see how he responds to it.

The only regret for me in Ron's case is the certain receipt of the same question over and over and over for the rest of the year by hack local newsies thinking they can treat the guy with disrespect now since his ticket is likely punched.  But that's the media for ya.  A virtual scourge of anything of prominence or popularity.