• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

shula is a symptom, not the disease

Fiz

If you think JR is the problem the good news is that by all accounts he's handed the keys to Gettleman. It will be interesting to see what happens to Rivera at the end of the year if things don't go well this season.

I think Rivera is a good coach, but I'm not sure if he has what it takes to get us to the promised land.

It's only fair to mention that Rivera is hampered by our cap situation as much as Gettleman. You can't expect him to make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.

riveras a great defensive coach no doubt about it but he lacks assertiveness and sometimes doesn't call the right plays . i hope ron stays but if we were to get rid of him i say go offense and get the coach from auburn 

jerry never wrote me back, and after we beat the giants the following week my rage subsided, and after we beat the rams and the bucs i began to rethink my letter. we started stomping teams left and right and my fears, that bitter tinge that'd sat in my stomach as i contemplated our problems disappeared with the surge of wins. i began to think that maybe we'd transcended these problems, that maybe jerry had struck gold, that his ideas had found life.

and now i'm doubting that again. i'm wondering if that was just our half-decade spike, if all of the flaws manifest in jerry's archaic philosophy are once again matriculating and resulting in what we've begun to see on the field. it's a taste in my mouth that's familiar and repulsive. i recognize it, and i don't like it.

You better get that typewriter out. 

We are 2-2 and the JR bashing begins.

The truth is JR would love for the Panthers to put up 30+ points a game. This is why he ditched Hurney and brought in Gettleman. JR doesn't care how the points are scored, that's a fairly silly notion. He isn't insistent on a run game. Even though he is a former player himself, ironically he may be the league owner that interferes least with the workings of the team. More points = more sales and concessions. Thats all you need to know about JR's views, and rightfully so.

After witnessing countless behind the scenes interactions between JR and his players and coaches, there is zero doubt in my mind the has the total and complete respect from his franchise.

Everyone is free to have their own views, but I won't be jumping on the "JR is the problem" wagon anytime soon.

Panthers fans have never had the experience of having a truly bad franchise owner. Don't assume the next one up is an improvement. There is plenty of room for one to be much, much worse.

Shula is the disease.

He infected other offenses and has a history of very avg offenses that lead to his and his HC's firing. It is his legacy. Any interview with any former offensive player always makes a pained face when discussing their experience with Shula..from Trent Dilfer(interviewed by Stve Smith on WFNZ), Sean King and Meshaun of course.

It is a lot easier to take a coordinator like Chud and reel him back bc he tries to be too innovative or overcomplicated than to take a conservative run up the middle guy and ask him to direct a modern pass offense around Cam who is an unorthodox QB.

The offense was never better than under Chud's direction. He is THE coordinator who went to Auburn to learn the read/option principals and had the balls to implement it at the pro level. Chip Kelly would not be a pro head coach if not for Chud. Yep I said that.

If only Chud would have just valued the first down more on 2nd and shorts third and shorts then he would have been perfect. He was not perfect but he embraced Cam and his arm talent not try to hide it and reel him in.

Jerry giving the okay to draft Cam tells me he wants to put points on the board.  If he were truly dedicated to the ball control run-game offense, we would have drafted a game managing QB in the later rounds.  Cam is built to put points on the board.  Our biggest problem is OC and the O-line.

Without JR, there would be no Carolina Panthers.  So before bashing the guy who brought you the team, think about what it would be like if we did not have a NFL team in the Carolinas. 

I don't believe JR is a 'hands-on' owner like Jerry Jones or Daniel Synder.  He gives me the impression that he let's the coaches coach, the GM manage, and the players play. 

The Panthers stink right now because they have a bad O-Line, a suspect secondary, some key injuries (namely Cam, TD, and all RB's), and a crazy DE situation that distracted the team.   

We are 2-2 and the JR bashing begins.

The truth is JR would love for the Panthers to put up 30+ points a game. This is why he ditched Hurney and brought in Gettleman. JR doesn't care how the points are scored, that's a fairly silly notion. He isn't insistent on a run game. Even though he is a former player himself, ironically he may be the league owner that interferes least with the workings of the team. More points = more sales and concessions. Thats all you need to know about JR's views, and rightfully so.

Agree with this, although I do think Jerry was more hands-on during the Hurney era. I thought his firing of Marty and his signing of Gettleman was a departure from this, and as much as Jerry loves Steve Smith the fact that he was released this past offseason tells me that Jerry wasn't the driver of that bus.

Shula should never have been promoted to OC.

End of story.

He was one of the last people standing when the rest of the league thought Rivera was going to be axed and they deferred to Newton's personal comfort level.

Sometimes, the people who make us grow, are not the ones who make us 'comfortable'.

Archived