• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

9 defenders all thinking run up the middle....

Jeremy Igo

Passing on 3rd and 2 isn't necessarily a bad strategy. Throwing it 40 yards downfield on 3rd and 2, however, usually is.

I get that, just stating that attempting a rush on 3rd and short isn't a bad strategy either, and we didn't attempt a rush on a single 3rd down yesterday until the very last one when everyone in the stadium knew what was coming.  Here's the 3rd down log for the game.  I've bolded the really interesting plays, apart from Cam's scamble on 3rd & 2 we never attempted a rush until Stew's fateful stuff in the 4th quarter.

1st drive-

Interception on 3rd & 6

2nd drive-

Convert a 3rd & 9 and 3rd & 3 by pass, stall on 3rd & 4 incomplete to Olsen

3rd drive-

Convert 3rd & 2 by scamble, stall on 3 & 7 incomplete to Cotchery

4th drive-

Sacked on 3rd & 4

5th drive-

Intercepted on 3rd & 2 after back to back 4 yards runs by DeAngelo

6th drive-

Stall on 3rd & 3 incomplete to Olsen after DeAngelo carried for 8 yards on previous play.

7th drive-

Stall on 3rd & 4 incomplete to Cotchery

8th drive-

Stall on 3rd & 5 incomplete to Olsen after Fozzy carried for 5 yards the previous play.

9th drive-

Stall on 3rd & 5 incomplete to Olsen

10th drive-

No third downs faced - TD to Benjamin

11th drive-

No third downs faced - TD to Philly

12th drive-

3rd & 5, we finally run and everyone knows it's coming!  WE LOSE

I thought the same thing.  Atleast give Cam the option.  Bootleg with cam out, give him 1 read, if it's not there, run.  Best of both worlds, he only passes if it's a super high percentage chance completion, if not, he runs.  THIS is what you have that other teams don't possess, the ability to have that play as a legitimate option...instead, charge stewart up the fuging gut, what's the worst that could happen.  Rivera should have been fired on the spot.

I thought the same thing. Atleast give Cam the option. Bootleg with cam out, give him 1 read, if it's not there, run. Best of both worlds, he only passes if it's a super high percentage chance completion, if not, he runs. THIS is what you have that other teams don't possess, the ability to have that play as a legitimate option...instead, charge stewart up the fuging gut, what's the worst that could happen. Rivera should have been fired on the spot.

That is what I called before the snap. I thought it was going to be a naked bootleg or a bootleg with a pass run option.

We didn't have to pass there. But lining up tight and running up the middle is chicken poo. Especially with this o-line.

I guess we wanted to get it on the left hash. But still. Run the ball, fine. But let's get creative and get some misdirection going or get Cam to the outside and see if he can break a tackle.

Something has to be better than that.

And I don't bitch about playcalling very often. But that was weak sauce

"Those 3 plays should have gotten more than 4 yards and that's on us, the players" - Greg Olsen

Rivera and his staff brainwashed this group of players to take blame for the shortcomings, while they don't take blame for poo

Last I checked Greg, the team on the other side of the football wants to hold exactly for 4 yards. Football is a little more deeper than this team small minded thinking which is why we're sitting at an embarrassing 3 wins, less than the Cleveland Browns. Clap for yourself

You have to start to wonder, is it possible that Shula's playcalling and Rivera's gameplan is so predictable that team's can jump the routes of our receivers? Is that a reason why we can never get seperation? Every replay I see. the defender is always jumping the route like they already know what's coming. Maybe our WR talent isn't the sole reason for their lack of seperation.

Archived