• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

All-time worst Panther starters?

Cyberjag

I might be the only one to say this, but I'm not sure Dwayne Jarrett was that bad of a receiver. Maybe something behind the scenes, but I remember him making some tough catches in traffic. I also remember wondering why he didn't get more looks.

he had a huge catch on the final drive in the 2008 chargers game and had another big one to help put away the cardinals that same season

jarrett had his moments and seemed to have pretty good hands in addition to being big and imposing.  he was a kelvin benjamin type prospect coming out of school and did have a fair amount of hype if only for his raw talent.  a few things lead to his undoing though: he came into the league really damn young (he's only 28), had a drinking problem, and landed on a team with a staff that couldn't develop young wide receivers.  he also only got one year of something vaguely resembling consistent quarterback play when he was here.

oh and he was a lifer on steve smith's lengthy shitlist 

my partial "all disappointment" team-meaning guys from semi-recent years who were, at one point or another, considered the future at a particular position, were about to turn the corner and become elite players, or were a big upgrade that would help key a panthers super bowl run:

QB: david carr - supposed to be an eventual successor to delhomme after riding the bench and getting his head straightened out

WR1: dj hackett - allegedly a big sleeper signing at wide receiver to take over for moose as a number 2 when he was finished

WR2: keyshawn johnson - ultimate possession complement to steve smith's home run threat

RB: deshaun foster - was supposed to become a pro bowler in 2006 and beyond after flashing big at the end of the 2005 season and in the playoffs

C: justin hartwig - big upgrade at center

DE: everette brown - pass rushing dynamo who was supposed to replace julius peppers

DT: maake kemoeatu - shitwrecking nose tackle to complement jenkins and make our front four essentially unblockable in 2006

WR Legedu Naanee

LT Byron Bell

LG Mackenzy Bernadeau

C Justin Hartwig

RG Nate Chandler

RT Matt Willig

TE Michael Gaines

WR Keary Colbert

QB Jimmy Clausen

FB Scott Greene

RB Richard Huntley

DE Jason Peter

DT Nick Hayden

DT Sione Fua

DE Jay Williams

SLB Dean Wells

MLB Dan Connor

WLB Hannibal Naives

CB Rashard Anderson

CB Captain Munnerlyn

SS Haruki Nakamura

FS Deke Cooper

K Olindo Mare

P Ken Walter

KR/PR Armanti Edwards

On offense, we've had some historically bad linemen. Our starting RBs however have been at least decent.

On defense, we've had some really historically bad safeties. Many to choose from there. Our LBs have been strong overall even since 95. Hard to choose the worst starters from our history. For the CBs, we've had a lot of backups start for a couple games due to injury. I didn't count those. I just counted those that were expected to start and were bad.

WR Legedu Naanee

LT Byron Bell

LG Mackenzy Bernadeau

C Justin Hartwig

RG Nate Chandler

RT Matt Willig

TE Michael Gaines

WR Keary Colbert

QB Jimmy Clausen

FB Scott Greene

RB Richard Huntley

DE Jason Peter

DT Nick Hayden

DT Sione Fua

DE Jay Williams

SLB Dean Wells

MLB Dan Connor

WLB Hannibal Naives

CB Rashard Anderson

CB Captain Munnerlyn

SS Haruki Nakamura

FS Deke Cooper

K Olindo Mare

P Ken Walter

KR/PR Armanti Edwards

On offense, we've had some historically bad linemen. Our starting RBs however have been at least decent.

On defense, we've had some really historically bad safeties. Many to choose from there. Our LBs have been strong overall even since 95. Hard to choose the worst starters from our history. For the CBs, we've had a lot of backups start for a couple games due to injury. I didn't count those. I just counted those that were expected to start and were bad.

Took too long to mention. Matt wiling.....

Archived