• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Strickland gives synopsis on Gman at NFL Annual Meeting, and some of my thoughts

top dawg

There is a middle ground here.

You can have expectations without demanding to sign every free agent or spend a billion dollars.

On the flip side you can be patient and let Gettleman's plan play out.

I had to shake my head though at someone saying that we now have left tackle covered because we signed a project type of player in Michael Oher. I don't think Gettleman feels that way, not after witnessing Byron Bell for two seasons. I could be wrong though.

the panthers need somebody with a pulse to hold down the left tackle spot for a season or two while a rookie or other developmental player gets prepared to take over.  i don't think he would come out and say that publicly though.

the panthers need somebody with a pulse to hold down the left tackle spot for a season or two while a rookie or other developmental player gets prepared to take over.  i don't think he would come out and say that publicly though.

Agreed, we don't know what we have him in yet, it's still a question mark if anything. Which if you're Cam Newton, is concerning.

I have faith in Gettleman, and it's too early to get really worried since we haven't even drafted, but to say Oher solved a problem is a bit of a reach considering he was barely better than Bell.   Ginn filled the ST roll, but to say he's filled a "speed need" is a bit of a reach too.  He had some success here, but he dropped a lot of deep balls and is getting older.   The Dickson hype is unreal for a guy who had like 150 yards the entire season, I suppose we just remember that one game though.   So to reiterate, I trust DG and will patiently wait, but it seems (as usual) this board seems content on settling for mediocrity.  It seems winning the division with a losing record is the pinacle of our dreams on here.    I'm hoping we get some gems in the draft and laugh at any doubts.  

I still think Jennings should be signed if reasonable and we should still draft a speed WR, because we're one Ginn injury away and one "Philly-deepball-catch-ouch-my-shoulder-hurts-again" away from being super slow.  

Is Oher the Answer at LT, Maybe, maybe not, but I know Bell was NOT the answer and he can be brought back for pennies after no one signs him.  Ginn Is a deep "THREAT", he doesn't have to have the best hands in the world to give the threat of going deep to him.  If we brought in Jennings this would not fix our team speed, he would provide the #2 receiver people are asking for but honestly, that is still possible in the draft.  I don't want mediocrity, but I do think we have more positives heading into this season than we did last, and when adding the Hardy and smitty drama to it all, we were set up for failure.  There's no debate that right now we have better starters and more stability than we did at this point last season and it's not even close.  Again, like I said, I'm willing to wait to see what happens in the draft because as of right now we have 9 rookies coming in and we need places on the roster for these players, and hopefully these players will fill the holes we have and provide depth where needed.

We have 9 draft picks, gentlemen.  You don't eat the cake until the frosting is on it or you will be disappointed.

We have met needs--that means "we stopped the bleeding."  I do not think it means that we are sizing our fingers for rings. 

Giving Gettlemen 9 picks--If you subtract Gaffney, look how much he did with 10 picks over the past 2 seasons--is like adding 2 chambers to Clint Eastwood's .44.

And yet another example of missing the point altogether. And, by the way, i agree with Gettleman's general philosophy about team building even if he doesn't make all the moves that i would like him to. I am still a Gettleman guy even though i don't have to sniff his jock.

BYW, Hurney was paid millions, as are a lot of GMs who end up washing out of the league, so paying someone millions just doesn't do it for me.

I think that Gettleman could have worded things a little differently to keep expectations to a minimum, and I am sticking to my point.

But the point is, he doesn't give a sh*t about your expectations, or anyone else's FA expectations. And your expectations don't change how he's running the team. Let the man do his job.

No one really knows how Gettle operates. He's doing what he has to do right now. Once again, wait for cap space, wait for his draft picks to undergo an offseason (or three), and wait until he handles our big contracts like Cam and Luke. Why can't people just fuging wait, you can't conclude really anything from what Gettle has done, because he's waiting too.

i keep seeing people posting about "settling for mediocrity" and "oh good old huddle happy to go 8-8 and win a terrible division and never win a super bowl for all eternity" which i think is bullshit

what would sitting around with our arms crossed all offseason talking about how pissed off we all are accomplish anyway

If there is one thing we know, spending big in FA equals instant success.

Signed,

Eagles Dream Team

They said giving our player payroll a stiff shot of fiscal responsibility would be painful at times. Some folks evidently have a low pain tolerance. I'm glad to see measured contract moves that plan for the future. It's already improved quite a bit, and Gettleman has stuck to his guns. I don't think you can point a move he's made yet that kicks the can down the road.

Archived