• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Should the Carolina Panthers Use an Early-Round Draft Pick on a Running Back?

Jeremy Igo

Some interesting stats here, looking at the running backs from the worst offensive lines in football (of which Carolina is a part, sadly)

In Jonathan Stewart’s case, he was playing behind one of the worst offensive lines in football last year. Anyone who watched the Eagles-Panthers game where Cam Newtonwas flattened like a pancake to the tune of nine sacks can attest to that. But pass protection and run blocking are two different animals, and according toFootballOutsiders.com, Carolina was even worse at creating holes for its rushers than it was at creating time for Cam to throw, ranking as the 27th-best run blocking line in 2014.

Running behind a porous run blocking offensive line is tough, even for good running backs. In fact, only three of the 15 rushers above matched or bested the NFL league average for rushers since 2011 on a per rush basis (-0.02 NEP for running backs totaling over 50 carries in a season). But Stewart ranked only 8th out of 15 qualifying rushers in Rushing NEP and 7th in Rushing NEP on a per rush basis among qualifying running backs on these teams.

Stewart did, however, boast the third highest Success Rate (the percentage of plays contributing positive NEP to a player’s total NEP) among this group, besting former rushing title luminaries including Lesean McCoy and Arian Foster.

Linky

Best player available. That is honestly what I hope we grab. If every position was completely equal at our pick and no one wanted to trade up to our spot......I'd pick according to depth at the positions in the draft. The draft is too uncertain to really pin point. My personal preference? I'd love a receiver capable of a #2 role. RB is a weapon, but I'd prefer WR.

If Wisconsin's Gordon or Miami's Duke Johnson were available in the second, I think we'd be foolish to pass up on them. Both would be great complimentary runners to Stewart and both offer good hands and speed as receivers out of the backfield.

I would go more 3rd or 4th round..

My preference in the first 3 rounds is any combo of OT/WR/DE.

After that? Yeah, RB sounds fine to me. If you can get a kid like Cameron Artis-Payne from Auburn (yes, I'm biased), a kid who was the Southeastern Conference's leading rusher in 2014, a kid with experience and great success in a read-option, one-cut offense, in the 4th or 5th round? Hell yeah, sign me up.

Its a deep deep RB class so i think you can find 10-15 carry a game backs in the mid-late rounds like Javorius Allen (who we've met with) at USC or Karlos Williams the converted safety out of FSU. Build from the inside out with some hog mollies and give the guys you have a larger hole, the difference between a Todd Gurley and a later round back with our current O-Line would be negligible compared to what a top O-Lineman would bring compared to Oher or Martin at LT

I'd wait until at least the third. Drafting runningbacks earlier than that has never ever worked out for us ever. I don't care if Gurley is the next Jedi in the backfield. They were saying the same poo about Trent Richardson a few years ago. This board just has an obsession with having multiple first round picks at runningback.

Archived