• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

RUMOR: Panthers looking to move up to 16-20th pick

@bobbyagnese

This may or may not be true.. Luke, Kalil, Beason, Stewart are some names that come to mind that probably werent our biggest needs at the time.

I've actually wondered if our drafts would be much different if Hurney were still here..  With Don Gregory and the other scouts still here, I've wondered how much they factor into the decision that gets made.  I remember an interview with Gettleman saying that Don Gregory was a big part in the KB pick, and he predicted that KB would be available.

I'm not saying Gettleman isn't light years ahead of Hurney because I think that he is.  Obviously, Gettleman is so much better at evaluating talent, not overpaying, building for the future, and building the lower half of the roster (which in my opinion is the biggest part of being a good GM), as well as every other aspect of being a GM.

Jarrett, Clausen, Edwards, Brown, etc....all positions of high need, even though they kept falling Hurney had to get his hands on them.

Trading up to get Brown and Edwards, and was possibly shopping our 1st to move up that year to get Pickles.  He absolutely drafted for need moreso than BPA.

Just my opinion though.

How mad would you be if Gman went all in and made a Julio Jones type trade to get Amari Cooper?

How much is he giving up and where is he trading to?

1st and 2nd to get him at #14? I'd be elated.

1st, 2nd, 4th and 2016 1st and 4th to get him at #6? I'd be pretty mad about it.

Jarrett, Clausen, Edwards, Brown, etc....all positions of high need, even though they kept falling Hurney had to get his hands on them.

Trading up to get Brown and Edwards, and was possibly shopping our 1st to move up that year to get Pickles.  He absolutely drafted for need moreso than BPA.

Just my opinion though.

Yeah, you're probably right.

I'm sure the more your team loses, the harder it is to stick with the BPA philosophy.

How much is he giving up and where is he trading to?

1st and 2nd to get him at #14? I'd be elated.

1st, 2nd, 4th and 2016 1st and 4th to get him at #6? I'd be pretty mad about it.

Yeah, scenario two would be the Julio reference. I think with our recent draft success and cost I'd rather keep the picks and see who falls.

Sure would be nice if he fell to make option 1 possible with minimal cost.

pretty mad

That trade certainly destroyed their chances of a Superbowl, they got beat by a deeper 9ers team and once they started aging they had no quality depth. Don't get me wrong Julio is an awesome WR, but even for that it STILL wasn't worth it.

Now imagine if Cooper is a bust or not even 75% as good as Julio (very real possibility)

I'd even say, if he's as good as jones, I'd be furious, far to many holes in the near future to waste all the draft on one player. Also, no one will believe me, but this free agent receiver market has shown what the future holds, mark my words, receiver value is declining as drafts get deeper and deeper with day 1 starters at receiver. What happened with the running back market is soon coming to the wideout market, and guys will look back a drafting a receiver in the top 5-10 as ridiculous picks.

Nope....completely wrong.

All it says is that he sees a BPA guy that would be available in the 16-19 range that is worth more than the players he could get at 25 and whatever other pick we would give up.

It actually totally supports the BPA view.

I have to disagree. My idea of "BPA" is waiting to see what falls to you and selecting from your board the best overall talent. If your trading up for anyone that's not BPA because everyone is available for a price if your willing to move up. It completely contradicts the idea of sitting back and taking the best player.  Evem if it only costs you a 7th rounder your moving up because you believe that guy won't be there when you pick. Thats not BPA.

I hope (if this rumor is true) that we are looking at moving into to 16 to 20 range to snag Landon Collins. After watching some of his highlights, I truly believe he can be like Kuechly in that 3 years from now people will wonder how he went outside the top 5 picks. With Benji, Gettleman said you can't teach 6'5" 240, and with Landon it's you can teach defensive instinct.

I'd have no issue trading up for a tackle or wide receiver that I felt was truly worth giving up a 3rd rounder to move up and get. I don't see anyone that is, however, unless Amari Cooper falls. I don't even like Kevin White that much and certainly none of the tackles.

Archived