• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

RUMOR: Panthers looking to move up to 16-20th pick

@bobbyagnese

When you have a GM who can find starters in the 4th-7th rounds you feel confident about moves like this.

That is also debatable. I don't think gettleman has been gm long enough to confidently say he can do that. Last season was optimistic but how many of those guys played out of necessity? I dont think Benjamin gets as many chances as he does on a team deep at wr.kony was so so. Benewiere was solid but tre Boston would not start on most teams.

I fail at charts and math in general. Can you explain how if we move up from 25 to say 16 what would the price be? Just curious. I did read the chart but it had way too many numbers for my liking.

16th would take a second or future second and third.

Moving to 18th/19th would just take a 3rd/4th.

As to the topic, yeah I think I recall this being posted previously, but it's kind of interesting to revisit it now in the light of an unnamed personnel guy reportedly commenting that only about 16 to 19 guys actually had a true 'first round' grade in this draft.

Benwikere, Klein and Boston are all Day Three picks (plus the undrafteds)

Klein is the only draft pick we have from the round 4-7 in 2013. Klein is a role player, a JAG at best.

In the 2014 draft, we only have Bene and Boston left. Bene seems like a potential pro-bowler. Boston I am not sure about yet.

So that's one potentially very good pick in 2 years out of six.

I fail at charts and math in general. Can you explain how if we move up from 25 to say 16 what would the price be? Just curious. I did read the chart but it had way too many numbers for my liking.

If they're looking to move up into the 16-20 range, the middle of that range (pick 18) has a value of $900, while the Panthers first (#25) and 3rd (#89) add up to $865 in value. That's only a 4% discount based on the trade value chart which is just a general guideline.

Given that this draft is weak on top prospects and many teams will be eyeing a trade down it's more than fair. It would be a bigger discount for the team at 16 obviously but teams generally have what they're willing to give up, call the top team in a given range and if turned down just keep trying until someone accepts their offer (so long as their guy is still on the board of course).

Klein is the only draft pick we have from the round 4-7 in 2013. Klein is a role player, a JAG at best.

In the 2014 draft, we only have Bene and Boston left. Bene seems like a potential pro-bowler. Boston I am not sure about yet.

So that's one potentially very good pick in 2 years out of a 6.

You say "we only have Bene and Boston left" as if we lost a bunch of guys.  There was only one other guy drafted last year after them.  That was Tyler Gaffney, whom we lost to a little used trick from the Patriots.  And Kugbila is actually still around too, so that story isn't necessarily over yet.  Plus we didn't have a 7th in 2013 so no one was taken there.

The only true 'bad pick' that you can truly cite at this point is Kenjon Barner, and remember those undrafted guys?

You say "we only have Bene and Boston left" as if we lost a bunch of guys.  There was only one other guy drafted last year after them.  That was Tyler Gaffney, whom we lost to a little used trick from the Patriots.  And Kugbila is actually still around too, so that story isn't necessarily over yet.

The only true 'bad pick' that you can truly cite at this point is Kenjon Barner, and remember those undrafted guys?

I am talking about solid contributors, not just guys listed on the roster. Out of 6 picks, Bene seems to be the only solid contributor.

Archived